• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

I wish they wouldn't show things like this-

Especially for you fans of Progressive Insurance-

"So it's decided, we'll park even deeper into parking spaces so people think they're are open".

Yeah, market motorcycle insurance and suggest to riders to aggravate people in cars? :banghead

OM

Hearing that just makes me think of a lot of knocked over/ damaged bikes for the action they thinks is funny.
Having learned way back to not do that and make me as visible to hurried parking spot hunters. Go ahead :doh

I think people will take it as humor as it was intended. I like that they show one of the Progressive people’s dad riding a sidecar in another of their ads.

My typical reaction to any of the commercials where manufacturers show some scenario where their collision avoidance did anything is, "how could they have not seen that?"

I have a newer car that has most of that crap, including the adaptive cruise control. I was testing it one night on a virtually empty road. As the car crested a slight rise over a hill the car absolutely slammed on the brakes for no apparent reason.

Yeah...all of those "features" that can be turned off are.

I’ve always been a little uncomfortable with the BMW sponsored stunt riding exhibitions. They may be entertaining but most of us don’t ride that way, and those that actually do so on the street are considered irresponsible hooligans by the general public. BMW riders have long enjoyed a reputation for safer riding practices and many insurance companies even give a discount for the brand and club membership. I’d hate for that public perception to change.

My understanding is that the Ford problem was figured out “down the road”, and with a mechanical design.
A bit different than encouraging purchasing a vehicle from a manufacturer because it is advertised that it has feature that takes distracted driving to a new level.
OM
They installed a plastic shield at the factory to prevent the bolts on the final drive from poking a hole in the gas tank. It was applied to both Mustang II and Pinto vehicles.

My typical reaction to any of the commercials where manufacturers show some scenario where their collision avoidance did anything is, "how could they have not seen that?"

I have a newer car that has most of that crap, including the adaptive cruise control. I was testing it one night on a virtually empty road. As the car crested a slight rise over a hill the car absolutely slammed on the brakes for no apparent reason.

Yeah...all of those "features" that can be turned off are.
Except that in heavy traffic the number one accident is a rear end collision. It happens and it's what kills us motorcyclists in stop and go traffic.

Our Audi will periodically "recognize" an object, usually a tree or guardrail near the edge of the road and nearly perpendicular to the direction of travel, but it just chimes a warning and doesn't slam on the brakes.

Except that in heavy traffic the number one accident is a rear end collision. It happens and it's what kills us motorcyclists in stop and go traffic.

Our Audi will periodically "recognize" an object, usually a tree or guardrail near the edge of the road and nearly perpendicular to the direction of travel, but it just chimes a warning and doesn't slam on the brakes.
I understand that and it's great your car does that, I guess. I don't want to go off on a rant about the state of driver's education, licensing, distracted driving laws and the enforcement of those laws, so I'll just say that all the "safety" systems in modern cars are giving the idiots license to abdicate their responsibility of safely operating their multi-ton potential death machine to those systems. And, we all know their are millions of idiots out on the roads.

When I started riding in the early 80's, it was somewhat easy to avoid the most dangerous drivers - the drunks - by not being on the roads after the bars closed. Now, people who are just about equally impaired by their mobile phones are on the roads 24/7.

Make no mistake, I know I'm 100% responsible for my own safety and over 40+ years of riding have done a pretty good job - my only lasting motorcycle injury is a collar bone with 2 plates and 18 screws from a track day crash - I'm just saying vehicular safety systems are a tool, not a crutch.

I’ll take advantage of every tool that will keep me out of the ditch. I lived in New England when ABS systems came out and they saved my bacon a bunch of times.

I don’t see them as a replacement for solid skills, but an opportunity to augment those skills for increased safety. I’m 65 with 52 years on two wheels. I KNOW my reactions and skills aren’t what they were even 19 years ago. That realization is why my Ducati 916 got replaced with a 2019 GS with all the chassis controls on it.

Motorcycling is a potentially deadly sport. In addition to my air vest snd riding gear, I am 100% OK with every safety advantage I can muster when I head out.

Why wouldn’t I?

Saw the ad for the first time last night. I picked up on the background music. Been a while since I have heard Grand Funk Railroad. :)

They were the first concert I attended. Boston Garden 1971-1972 (now that I think about it, the age of my Toaster). Farner wore brass/gold bands around his biceps. At 14 years old, I thought that was cool. I think I lost hearing for a couple of days after the concert.

Pardon the hijack.

They will stop the irresponsible commercials when they are convinced that the profits from the irresponsible commercials don't outweigh the cost of the lawyers, and multi-million-dollar wrongful death judgments that result from the irresponsible commercials.

I can't remember who said it but, somebody (help me out folks) said that the world has enough to support everyone's needs, but not everyone's greed.

Be safe out there.

E.

It seems bad enough that ads have a disclaimer with "professional driver", "closed course", "do not attempt".......and by the way, if we catch you driving your vehicle the way we portrayed it in the sales ad- "warranty void".

I just saw this-

And as the prosecutor asks the driver, "what were you doing just before the fatal crash"?

"playing patty cake of course".

:scratch

OM
Seems like an excellent way to generate candidates for the Darwin Awards..

Back