Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
Seems like around New England the reservation system for state parks is Reserve America https://www.reserveamerica.com. One of the biggest problems I have run into is that RA takes reservations 6 months in advance so January 1st, people jump on the site and reserve the dates they think they may want to use. This just in case I want to go really seems to bugger up travel plans as so many times sites are reserved and paid for but something comes up and the site, while paid for, sits empty while one is looking for a spot.

This is more a commentary on rude behavior on the part of inconsiderate people to not notify the facility that they can't make the reservation and open up the spot to someone waiting. The site managers don't like the no-shows either as when someone arrives looking for a spot, sees 3 empty sites and is told they are sold/spoken for.

Good luck on prospecting for a site.

OM
We had this scenario play out several times this past summer in Minnesota, I suspect mostly due to the weather. My wife and I would decide to go camping on Thursday, grab one of the last remaining sites, then show up on Friday afternoon to a half-filled park even though all of the sites were booked. I guess as long as everyone is paying upfront, I don't mind. However, if you can book 6-months out and then cancel at 3:59pm the day of, that's a little disappointing.

@LetsRide - the farther you are away from the Twin Cities in Minnesota, the more camping availability you have. I've heard that Minnesota has nice roads...