• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Nav VI stuck in 4 button cradle on R1200RT

Sixpackie

Afternoon.....I'm currently on a XC trip with my '12 RT and found that I couldn't remove my Nav VI from the cradle last night......it is completely stuck. The release button on the right seems to work as usual to pop up the center piece behind the unit but it appears either one or both of the lugs are not releasing.

I removed the cradle from the mounting bar and tried to tweak the unit and cradle to make sure it is seated properly and to see if I could possibly overcome the lugs. I tried a bit of lubricant as well but this GPS is solidly mounted!

Anyone have this issue before or have any ideas how to separate the two? Thanks in advance for any help!
Six

UPDATE: On my return trip home I stopped by a BMW dealer in FL to see if they could free my Nav VI but they were unable as well after taking a reasonable shot at it....props to them for trying. Good news was I didn't have to worry about the Nav getting stolen off of my bike during stops on the return trip.

After returning home I removed the cradle assembly from the bike to take a closer look. There is no way to disassemble the cradle to get at the internal mechanisms with the GPS mounted so I ended up using a zip tie, fishing line and a bit of lubricant to try and manipulate the latching mechanism and the lugs and release the unit. Took me quite a bit of time but managed to eventually separate the two. The end result was a broken lug but the cradle ended up still being functional with just the remaining lug.

Out of an abundance of caution, I found a matching cradle on the Marketplace (Thanks Shaun!) and installed it today. Figured I would post this in the odd chance this happens to another member in the future. Ride safe.......

Last edited:
Back