• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2017 vs 2020 GSA Wheels

Gsa2@me.com

I have a 2020 GSA and want to purchase a set of used 2017 GSA wheels so I can swap TKC 80s with touring tires depending on the mission etc etc. Cant seem to find any information if the 2017 GSA wheels will work on a newer GSA like my 2020 ?

I asked my local dealer this question and was told that the wheels are interchangeable Le but b e aware that the bike will only recognize one set of TPMS senders so one set of wheels will constantly generate “oh **** your tires are flat” warnings that you’ll have to manually ignore. Given the cost (and, ahem, the total number of bikes we have) I chose to buy a tire mounting machine.

I asked my local dealer this question and was told that the wheels are interchangeable Le but b e aware that the bike will only recognize one set of TPMS senders so one set of wheels will constantly generate “oh **** your tires are flat” warnings that you’ll have to manually ignore. Given the cost (and, ahem, the total number of bikes we have) I chose to buy a tire mounting machine.

Get yourself a GS911

Here's an overview of the process.

https://youtu.be/4HAnT58b2DY

R1200RTW%20TPMS%20Programing%20with%20the%20GS-911-S.jpg

Get yourself a GS911

Yes, I don't know what year this changed but later year RDCs in these bikes CAN accommodate 2 front and 2 rear wheel TPMS senders so you can buy a second wheel set and use the GS911 to program the RDC. You either need to wake up the TPMSes into Alert mode or write down their serial numbers and put those in the GS911. As always the Hexcode website has a detailed tutorial.

NOTE: Haven't done this but the rear wheel TPMS on my 2018 stopped sending during my last trip. Luckily the rear tire needs replacing anyway so I'll note down the ID while I switch wheels, replace the battery in it and see if that does it. If not, a new TPS from Ebay will be in order.

Most OEM TPMS sending units (Schrader) don't have a serial number on any of the stickers with bar codes, or on the body of the actual sending unit, that can be directly interpreted and typed into the GS-911 program.
The other thing to note is that replacing the coin cell battery in one of these sending units is a hit or miss proposition. By the time you dig out the old battery trying not to destroy any of the electronics, then affix a new battery to the small flat metal tabs in the TPMS, hoping that your connections will last thru another couple of years....it's not bad money spent to just replace the unit from the get-go with a clone from Amazon or eBay.

This is just my experience with doing the battery replacement and then within a year, find that I need to do it again.

My time is worth something (not much now that I'm retired), so I just put in a new unit and wake it up with the tool, capture the new number with the GS-911 and write it on the side of the sending unit and on the rim so I can program the bike to whatever set of rims I want to use.

It's a great idea of your's to try to have tires mounted on extra sets of rims to match your conditions or trip distance.

Thanks guys. I have purchased the 2017 GSA wheels for my 2020 GSA, I have purchased the GS-911 for the TPMs, as well as the EL-50448 TPS wake up tool. Once I get everything settled in, I should be able to switch wheels/tires to match the mission in a hour or so, and be on my way. All the best, and happy holidays.

While you are buying: Torque Wrench; 3/8 sq. drive in the right Newton Meter Range

Guessing you already have one, but with many more changes than "normal" you might want to use the wrench to never strip a lug bolt out of a rear hub.

Back