• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Squeaky Noise R90S

Good morning from Vancouver BC,
Hope someone could help me with this question,
I have a beautiful R90S that started to make a squeaky noise sometimes when shifting up, now lately it also does it under acceleration , is it something I should be concern? My mechanic has lost his hearing unfortunately and I just did even bother. Should I take it to a mechanic since I am not mechanically gifted?
Cheers and thanks.
Farzad

Attachments

• 160554209_10224765295417470_3192987981073679557_n.jpg
    160554209_10224765295417470_3192987981073679557_n.jpg
    438.1 KB · Views: 128
Depends

If you can hear this noise with a helmet on at highway speed, I would say take it and have it checked out. Your mechanic might be like me now deaf but perhaps he can get it onto the center stand with the rear wheel off the ground and try to make it do what you are hearing. At least standing still, it is easier to pinpoint the noise's location.

As to the cause, well, it could be a lot of things, first thing to check is lubrication of things such as the sifter arm at the back of the transmission, I believe there is a grease fitting on it. That clutch actuation system has a bearing which is lubed by gear lube, maybe it is worn out. It would have to be taken apart for inspection. The input shaft on the transmission may be dry. it needs lubricated at a regular interval.

Those things are fairly easy to get at, check and fix. Anything internal to the transmission, I would first drain the fluid and check the drain plug for metal chips and water. Not to say absence of chips doesn't mean there is still a problem it is a simple way to check if the trans needs to be pulled apart. A lot of chips on the plug is never a good thing.

Sorry, I can't help more, at least winter is coming and you won't be working on it on a sunny day. Good luck. St.

Miles on the bike? Any recent maintenance that you could track this back to? How does the clutch feel...any changes there? Sometimes the inner fingers on #1 in the diagram can create noise when making contact with #2 and this happens on gear changes.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=0333-USA-09-1977-2474-BMW-R_100_7T&diagId=21_0072

The bike is completely restored to bolts and nuts, I have put 5000 Miles since restoration, have been only maintain by BMW mechanic, anly oil change and valve check, it rund beautiful, clutch feels good, no feel of slipping. Here is a video of the full restoration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxfMemVgH2M

If the ends of those fingers are lubricated with a tacky grease on installation, it can squeak during actuation.

Video

I enjoyed seeing your video, well done documentation and a very nice finished job. Good luck with finding the squeak. LOL, a mouse in the muffler? St.

Thanks everyone, from what I researched and tips from Airhead riders it looks like it is the beginning of a clutch slip, will take it to a BMW mechanic.

Back