• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What will take the wobble out?

redling

I have a 2020 BMW K1600 B Grand America, this is the most unstable bike that have ever ridden my ~35 years of riding. I only have about 2700 miles on it (mostly due to that wobble) but I am due for an annual service. What is proven that can be done to make this bike more stable? I have bumped the air pressure, changed the windshield and often use the one plus lugggage setting.

Last edited:
I have a 2020 BMW K1600 B Grand America, this is the most unstable bike that have ever ridden my ~35 years of riding. I only have about 2700 miles on it (mostly due to that wobble) but I am due for an annual service. What is proven that can be done to make this bike more stable? I have bumped the air pressure, changed the windshield and often use the one plus lugggage setting.
I can't help you as I have a GT. There is a lot of discussion on this topic over at the K1600 Forums!

https://www.k1600forum.com/

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Design issue. Nothing will take the wobble out short of trading it in on a Harley or a Gold Wing. BMW will do nothing. Placing a 100 mph limiter on the bike was their answer.

Last edited:

What helped me.. reduce tire pressure a few PSI. It's pretty much gone. It's not and never was a 'wobble', more of a riding on water feeling at times. Coming off a HD street glide myself, you can't compare the two. They are both different machines. It's like comparing a F-16 fighter to a C-5 airplane. They both have different characteristics. If you want that solid tank feeling, and a BMW, look at the R-18 TC.

Last edited:
Harleys are a lot more stable in a straight line, that much is certain. Of course, they are no match in the corners. Still, for what is supposed to be a "sport-Touring" bike, I think BMW went too far to keep the steering light. Plenty of full-on sport bikes handle the curves and are dead-stable in a straight line at speeds the K1600b and GA can only dream of.

I would only add that if your dealership won’t offer you a reasonable explanation, Demand that the Owner or Service Manager take it out on the highway under the conditions you complain about.

I have a K16GT and have no handling complaints, I’ve had it up to the Century mark towing my TimeOut camper. I tend to travel a little slower when the 18-wheelers aren’t aggravating me for ‘flying in formation’ along the superslab... :banghead

Your particular model is supposed to be The Motorrad Touring Flagship. It sounds to moi like something is Not Right. If the dealer won’t help and the BMW NA Regional Rep is no help, get an independent shop or one of your fellow biker dudes to look at it. It might be something as simple as a poorly balanced front wheel or a crappy OEM front tire. Is there any noticeable funky tire wear?

Good Luck on finding a suitable solution.
Ciao, HSV-Phil & HSV-Karen
el Presidente & la Secretary, MOA CC-05
:lurk :brow

It's aerodynamic. Nothing short of completely redesigning the rear end of the bike will fix it. If it was anything else, it would show up all the time, not just in dirty air on the interstate.

If your forced to keep the bike I would put on GT rated tires, the stiffest ones you can find.
New tires can fix alot of problems IMHO
If your still not happy
Sell it.
Nick

windshield height

I have a '22 GA and what has helped me was keeping the stock windshield on, and while on the interstate keep the windshield almost all the way up. You need the draft from under the windshield to increase in order to balance out the air around you. People that are trying all different styles of windshields are still having the problem because they're not balancing out that air coming in and under the screen. I also lowered my tire PSI around 36-37psi Front and 41-42 psi rear. Do I still get pushed around from time to time? Yes, but not anymore than I did on any other bike that I have owned. I can cruise the interstates now much more comfortably with these setting that I have mentioned.

Would it help to raise the front suspension slightly, and lower the rear? It would increase the rake and help a bit. Not sure if it is doable on a B.

..I also think the buffeting 'twitches' that is experienced while riding on the interstate near large trucks, is caused by suttle movements when the wind hits your arms, which move your hands, which causes the 'wobble'. Try tucking your elbows in to your sides when passing tractor trailers or approaching from behind. This and keeping windshield almost all the way up has helped me immensely.

I get that "your holding the bars too tight" nonsense all the time. So I set the cruise control while on the interstate and barely rest my fingertips on the grips. Bike still squirms like crazy in ANY dirty air, car, truck, van...doesn't matter. Fortunately, I've always had a strong aversion to riding a motorcycle on the freeway.

Back