• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Seeking rural route across northern KY

glenfiddich

TravelsWithBarley.com
Our route to the 2022 rally will mostly follow roads previously traveled in past adventures. The last time we traversed Kentucky was from Maysville in the east to Madison IN in the west. This time I'd like to drop a tad further south, starting in Maysville again, threading the needle between Louisville and Lexington (coming from a town of 1100 I have an aversion to big cities), then continuing west till we cross the Ohio in the vicinity of the Hoosier or Shawnee National Forests. Short stretches of well-maintained dirt roads are okay, but my dog prefers pavement (but not busy highways). I'm not looking for major deviations from that general route as we're hoping to maximize time in Mark Twain NF and the Ozarks.

Suggestions?

Pete and Glenlivet

Midway, Wallace Station and Bardstown on hwy 62.

From Wallace Station you could jog east on 1681 then south on Pisgah Pike to the Kentucky Castle.

We've also taken 62 from Bardstown to Kuttawa Ky.

A couple miles south of Wickliffe, Ky has a good overlook for the confluence of the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers.
IMG_0539.JPG

Hope on the interstate for a few miles to go through Paducah .

Last edited:
Midway is a nice little town. The train run through the middle of downtown.
You can barely see the track behind our bikes.

Midway.jpg

Wallace Station is a good place for a sandwich.
P1010998.JPG

Kentucky Castle
KHCR 2018 (34).JPG

Bardstown is a nice town.
IMG_0105.jpg

Howdy Pete.

Maysville 68 & 62 southwest across too Elizabethtown (E-Town)

A nice ride through interesting other towns.

Horse country and Bluegrass prevail across Paris on 68.
Then ride 460 over to join 62 at Georgetown.
Very nice through Versailles & Bardstown.
After E-Town. I’m thinking 62 all the way into the
Land Between Lakes zone and cross the Ohio somewhere into the
Shawnee & Mark Twain there near Paducah.
The “a little bit slower” route from E-Town is some
Backroads (86) over to near Hardinsburg where you join
60 across most of the state.
Very convoluted rodeway structure in western Ky near the
Rivers. But pretty.

Last edited:
Back