• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

TPMS sensor in car rim for pusher?

glenfiddich

TravelsWithBarley.com
I’m currently running an Achilles Economist on my rear MC wheel but those tires are periodically hard to find. I’m thinking of switching to a 15x4 car rim with a -19 offset but don’t want to give up my TPMS. Can the sensor for a cast rim be installed on a cast car wheel? If not, are there aftermarket sensors that are compatible with the system on my 2012 GSA?

Pete

Been wondering the same thing. I’m getting a car rim on my GSA rig. I think the determining factor will be getting the correct sized hole in the rim to fit the BMW sensor.

Positioning of the valve stem hole on car rims may not be workable for a BMW motorcycle sensor. You’d always have the option of installing a regular valve stem on the wheel and just drilling an appropriately-sized hole in the well of the rim, and mount the sensor there—you’d only be using it for TPMS and use the regular car stem for inflation.

Just a thought,
DeVern

Positioning of the valve stem hole on car rims may not be workable for a BMW motorcycle sensor. You’d always have the option of installing a regular valve stem on the wheel and just drilling an appropriately-sized hole in the well of the rim, and mount the sensor there—you’d only be using it for TPMS and use the regular car stem for inflation.

Just a thought,
DeVern

A very helpful thought. Thank you.

Perhaps look a different direction. Is there a sensor made to fit an automotive rim that the BMW TPMS will recognize??

I had a DMC rear wheel installed on my 2018 R1200GS. The technician installed the original TPM sensor (from BMW spoke wheel) in the DMC rim. Other than reading about 5 pounds low, which it always did, it works fine.

Many thanks for the input! Sounds like retaining the TPMS is doable.

Pete

I don't think that Achilles will be making the 175/55-17 any longer, it is no longer listed on their web site.

I have gone in a different direction. I am going to use an R1200C 15" rear wheel. It has to be machined for the car tire to fit. Mine is at the machine shop waiting for them to do it now. Only down side is it is only 4" wide. A 175/65 will deffinately fit. A friend is running a 185/65 which is dimentially about the same as the Achilles you have been running.

Back