• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

At what temperature do you stop riding because of the cold?

When I first read this thread, I was thinking of comfort while riding. Out here in the San Francisco Bay Area, it just doesn't get that cold nor does it snow. However, it can get below freezing at night, and take a while to warm up in the morning. My concern is not being cold, but ice on the roads. Since my riding time is in the morning-I have other things I typically have to do in the afternoons. I'm curious at what temperature do other riders get concerned about road conditions. Thanks in advance.

FYI, I have a Roadcrafter Darien Jacket with removable liner I can wear when it gets really cold. No heated gear----------------------yet.

30f

I took a little ride the other day when it was 30F. Stopped at my friend's shop for coffee and conversation. On the way home, one of the wires in my heated pants got hotter than heck. No major burn but boy what a pain to try to get it fixed on the side of the road. Go figure today was 62F and now we have high winds with a front moving in and the temperature dropping.
The new winter for my area due to global warming. St.

I'm in Canada ,it's + 3 C here today ,and both bikes are parked ..
What temperatures do you call it quits at ?

I ride year 'round in the lower mainland of BC, that's the area including Vancouver BC and up to the mountains slightly North, East to Hope and South to the US border. Those reading this awake will notice - West is bound by the ocean. Practically I don't ride out past Abbotsford usually, the winter and snow would be worse there. And of course currently, I can't ride past there anyway, due to road floods and damage.

Here, in this new era of climate change, we still have mainly cold rainy days most of the time, with some snow or dry cold with black ice.

Temps routinely go down to 0 C overnight in my area just NW of Vancouver, and if it's a clear night it will drop to -2 to -4 C or so. That's when the black ice appears. Except the municipality puts down sticky brine, so you're now riding on wet roads at -4C. Not sure if I like that over dry cold, but I guess that it must be better than black ice.

For temps, I ride as long as I can stand it, I could use a heated vest and go down lower, but I don't use one much. I ride down to about -5 C. Could go lower with a vest etc., but it's not so common. And on days (usually 2 - 3 times a winter) we get a decent amount of snow (10 - 20 cm maybe, over two or three days) -- then I'm off the road.

I have ridden my old Yamy FZ-1 on 4" of packed snow, true real packed snow, dense-packed and totally white still - but that was by bad luck and only the dire need to finish getting to work as it was closer than home. rode with barely my fingernails on the bars. Learned another 20 year's worth about clutch control! That was a trip and a half! Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa tyres once, Michelin Pilot Sport 4's the second time. Both took care of me. I don't plan a third!

For tyres on the 1250, I'm still using the original Michelin Anakee Adventures -- after just over 22 000 km folks (! - and still sufficient tread !) - they use the lower temp Michelin Silica rubber and seem to do well with colder surfaces.

The only real bug for me is the effects of the constant brine on my baby . . . so much rinsing is needed, and washing.

Take care all!

Peter

My current "let's not ride below this" is 0C/32F. This is with a windshield on the bike, heated grips, and a whole bundle of waterproof/windproof/insulated gear. When my heated vest arrives, this temperature may get lower, but my hands have always been the limiting factor (poor circulation).

My lowest, at significant discomfort, has been 28-ish degrees on a couple of occasions. Likely a bit lower than that but that's what the weather app said when I got home both times. These were on naked bikes with no windshields, and the first time was me riding home on a motorcycle I had just purchased that was running terribly and had no rear brake. Thankfully my days of making decisions that stupid are (mostly) over.

If your hands are an issue, then try heated gloves. I find that they are far more effective than heated grips at keeping the entire hand warm. I use Gerbing gloves and they work well, but there are other good brands.

Generally below freezing is when i leave the bike at home. Ice and motorcycles don't mix. We left a party last night after midnight and found the bike's seats and windshields covered with a thick layer of frost with the air temps about 30. Didn't have but 3 miles to go to get to the motel. Hey i have Gerbing heated gloves, socks, and jacket liner but an ice covered windshield is another problem indeed. Luckily i could lower it and look over the top. Now i figured the heated seat should have melted the ice right off but it didn't, even set on high. Guess it takes a while to heat up.

Salt

One of the biggest things keeping me from riding more in the winter is the melting salt or compounds used on the roads. I just spent a big chunk of change overhauling my bike for the second time due to road salt damage. Alas, it is a fact of life and maybe I should just look for a beater bike to ride in the winter. St.

If there's danger of frost. I have a car I like that doesn't fall over and with year round riding, it's not like I need to work the edges of the riding weather envelope.

I used to go out any time it was over 40F back in New England, but even with that, frozen run off in shady corners could be icy well into the day.

Right now, it's raining like crazy. On Saturday morning, it was beautiful, but it was 30F when I left the house in the Boxster.

I might ride this weekend if it's decent.

……….

I used to go out any time it was over 40F back in New England, but even with that, frozen run off in shady corners could be icy well into the day.

When I lived in the NY metro area, I fell victim to exactly that scenario. Cold winter Sunday morning Started out below freezing, snow on all of the surrounding grass. The roads were clean and dry. Met a few guys for coffee and then headed back for home. Bright sun and temps got above freezing. Snow was melting and the runoff was streaming down a driveway and across the road. I didn’t think about the road surface still being below freezing which it was. Perfect black ice. I went down the second my wheels hit the water, with ice underneath.

I will ride when it’s below freezing, but not when there’s snow on the roadside.

I like to remind the hazards of a pickup truck backing out of the driveway with melted snow or ice (water) leaving a patch that is prone to freeze.
Sub freezing motorcycle riding is possible…….it’s that temperature period right above and below freezing I find the most tricky. I usually skip the risk. ;)
OM

I like to remind the hazards of a pickup truck backing out of the driveway with melted snow or ice (water) leaving a patch that is prone to freeze.
Sub freezing motorcycle riding is possible…….it’s that temperature period right above and below freezing I find the most tricky. I usually skip the risk. ;)
OM

I have nothing left to prove to anyone about my riding. And I think cars are pretty fun, too, so when it's crummy out, either foggy, cold, wet or some combination of those, it's a nice morning for a trip in the car.

freezing run off

I once went up the highest paved road in North America, sorry it is in Colorado, Mt Evan? Just a couple of days after it had been opened for the season. I very much enjoyed the goats and sheep sightings and how they walked down the slopes like a tourist on a NY sidewalk. Anyway, after watching the sunset, on the way back down, I found the little streams of melting ice, had become ice again. I didn't drop the bike but it was a slow interesting trip back to the main roads. St.

I once went up the highest paved road in North America, sorry it is in Colorado, Mt Evan? Just a couple of days after it had been opened for the season. I very much enjoyed the goats and sheep sightings and how they walked down the slopes like a tourist on a NY sidewalk. Anyway, after watching the sunset, on the way back down, I found the little streams of melting ice, had become ice again. I didn't drop the bike but it was a slow interesting trip back to the main roads. St.

That was probably in very late June or July. :)

Back in the early '80s when I rode to work, my cutoff was 25 F. It wasn't very far.

Since so many worship mileage life as the ultimate in tire selection, it's good to know that such tires become pretty dangerous in cold weather. Once followed a K1200LT group where there were reports guys couldn't get out of their neighborhood without falling, victims of hard hockey puck rubber tires with no cold traction. One surely does not comprehend the dynamics of motorcycling if s/he thinks long mileage is the main factor in choosing tires. Even for cars, winter tires are best whenever temperature is below 45 F. Besides the tread features, their rubber compound is softer, retaining flexibility in cold conditions. This is why those tires are not mileage rated.

When I first read this thread, I was thinking of comfort while riding. Out here in the San Francisco Bay Area, it just doesn't get that cold nor does it snow. However, it can get below freezing at night, and take a while to warm up in the morning. My concern is not being cold, but ice on the roads. Since my riding time is in the morning-I have other things I typically have to do in the afternoons. I'm curious at what temperature do other riders get concerned about road conditions. Thanks in advance.

FYI, I have a Roadcrafter Darien Jacket with removable liner I can wear when it gets really cold. No heated gear----------------------yet.

Below 40 and I take the car. When I go over the hill to W. Marin, it'll be freezing temps. After my buddy threw his GS down the road on Marshall Petaluma Road, I drew the line for myself at 40. This time of year, we also have roads that have grown moss down the center line. Sir Francis Drake through Sam P. Taylor is really slick these days and will remain so until the sun starts shining on it and it has a chance to dry out completely.

So while we might not have ice all the time, road conditions still should be considered, especially for early morning rides.

For my first post, I may as well add my $0.02.

The longest chilly ride I took was about 500 miles at between about -5 to 0 degrees F. That was when I was younger and, um, better insulated than I currently am. I was also very well bundled, with lots of fleece and a Gerbings heated jacket liner underneath my riding suit, and a silk balaclava underneath the helmet. Every square inch of skin was covered or shielded.

I've been on shorter jaunts at lower temperatures.

Of course, it's important to choose your days and your roads carefully. Black ice is a major concern. Drifting snow can be a problem. Etc. I've logged thousands of miles that way, but it's important to know what risks you're taking, and to park when necessary.

To the best of my knowledge, motorcycle tires are not set up for cold temperatures. Ride conservatively to conserve traction. As I recall, I set my tire pressures a couple pounds lower than usual, to increase the contact patch a bit and to let them warm up a bit more than usual.

All of that was quite a few years ago. I haven't done anything like that in recent years.

Someone mentioned using Gerbings heated gloves to help with chilly hands. That is a valid use for comfort, especially if your grips are in the wind stream. I like mine. However, chilly hands can also be a sign that your core temperature is dropping. The answer to that is to dress better, and/or use heated gear, and/or stop riding and warm up.

Most of my riding is work related, and we ride until there's snow/ice/frost on the roads. Wear the Aerostich Roadcrafter with sweatpants on the bottom, and a nice base layer + Garbing liner or vest for the top. Can't wear thick gloves so we have the Watershed grip covers to keep the rain and wind off the hands. Add in the heated seat and grips and I don't start to get uncomfortable until it hits the low 20's. Up here in the PNW though, doesn't often get that cold without the aforementioned frost/ice/snow. Oh, and a good balaclava makes all the difference keeping the chill off the neck.

What temperatures do you call it quits at ?

Back in my younger days on shorter rides and without heated gear: -23C or -9.4F. I drove all winter.

Now: -6C or 21.2F on longer day rides of about 450kms or 280 miles with a heated vest.

Amazingly, there wasn't a single bug that had the guts to make an appearance on my visor.

Last edited:
I won't voluntarily leave the house when it's below 50 degrees F. And I have heated gear, grips, etc. Thats not to say I haven't ridden in much colder weather when I have to. But that's only on long tours where I really don't have any choice except to "suck it up" and keep going. Got caught in a snowstorm touring Utah on my Harley years ago. Trying to wipe the snow/slush off the windshield scratched it all to heck! But now? Just going out on a cold day for a "battery charging ride?" No thanks.
IMG_0470.JPG

Back