• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Brake and rotor question

88bmwjeff

SF Bay Area
This has been bugging me for about a week. I'm having my rims powder coated. While it was my intent to properly mark/set aside each rotor so the right one would go back on the right and the left on the left. That way the pad and the rotors would be matched. Well, you can guess where I'm going with this now. In taking the rotors off, I got them mixed up. I know I should have marked them somehow before taking them, but I was 100% sure before I started I could keep them separate. Well, they got mixed up. Now, I'm left with the following options

put them on and don't worry
get new pads

Is there another option?

Put them on and assume you need to break them in like if they were new. It will at worst take a little time for them to mate with the rotors.

And you can't tell from close examination from scratches/marks in the surface as the begin at the holes and spread out which way the rotors were spinning??

And you can't tell from close examination from scratches/marks in the surface as the begin at the holes and spread out which way the rotors were spinning??

I went out to the garage and inspected the rotors and I can seed that one side of the hole does have scratches and marks. Thanks. Just to be clear. Am I correct in my assumption that the scratches/marks would be on the trailing edge of the hole not at the leading edge?

Am I correct in my assumption that the scratches/marks would be on the trailing edge of the hole not at the leading edge?

That's what I would assume. And I'd still err on the side of caution and do as others have suggested...treat it like you need to bed the pads in and don't heavily depend on all the brakes all the time at first.

Back