• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Bench Mark Works Rumor is True!

Liaison
Staff member
I had heard on another forum that Bench Mark Works was being sold. Vech posted this today. It appears they will still be around in some form or another, just owned by MaxBMW.

Thanks for your kind words. Everybody, sooner or later, has to retire. I'm 70 years old, and my wife and I decided that I really did not want to spend what is left of my life, (That is not saying there is anything physically wrong with me, that I know of) tied down in the desk chair, 5 days a week. Only to die at my desk one day....

Max Stratton, who owns MAX BMW, is great guy, LOVES BMW's (especially old BMW's) and he and his organization was the logical people to take Bench Mark Works over.

Bench Mark Works will not disappear. It will carry on, with new blood. Our web site will continue also. I have been the technical adviser to the Vintage BMW club for at least 40 years, and will continue to do so. Likewise, Richard has been by my side, doing the same thing, for 18 of them. In other words, We ain't dead YET!!!!

And I will now be free to have some fun, like attending BMW rallies again, (I still have most of my bikes) and I will no longer have to be somewhere, working 5 days a week, tied down in my shop....

My email, vech@..., is going to change. Not immediately, but it is going to change. We have not had the time, during the madness of this sale, to get everything settled back down, and create a new email for me, to which everyone can ask questions, get technical help, about old BMW's. Likewise, Richard will probably have his own email, (and perhaps, not dead sure yet) he may be a remote member of MAX BMW, still working, selling parts and answering questions, but living here in Mississippi.

And no, in compliance with the non competitive clause in the contract, I will NOT be working on other people's bikes. I'm retired, guys!!!!

MAX BMW is already taking our parts orders. It will undoubtedly take them a little while, to get everything sorted out and back in order, and functioning. Max left here yesterday, with ALL the parts I had in stock and he has a good two day drive just to make it back home..

I'll keep everyone posted of future changes in my life......

Sounds like a good fit. MAX has had some nice vintage projects described in the MAX emails.

I would like to see that load of gear from Vech’s place.

OM

It's an incredible place...if anyone was traveling the Natchez Trace, it's worth the drop-by to see what they have. A real nice museum of bikes as well. Normally, when I go to my dealer for parts on my /7, I know they don't have it and will need to order it. Usually they can get stuff in a few days. But Vech! He has it on the shelf. They stand by their products and what they sell. My solo tractor style seat for my R69S was sagging in the middle, cutting of blood flow to an important part of the body! I took pictures, sent the seat back in, and he sent another back...that was like 18 months after initial purchase. They are good people! Not to mention their help on the phone. Vech will build you a Swiss watch on the phone if you ask him the time!

I don't see a picture, but here's a list of what's in the museum:

http://www.benchmarkworks.com/museum.html

Good Luck in your Retirement, Vech!

We appreciate your many contributions to the BMW mark. Look forward to bumping fists at the '22 Springfield, MO MOA rally!

Here's Vech positioning his hack in the long exhibit hall in Lebanon, TN in 2019. Cheers, HSV-Phil & HSV-Karen
:beer
Vech-2019-MOA-rally.jpeg

I always enjoyed the rally held at Veche's place years ago, although it could be a little cold. I think it was held in February.

MaxBMW really takes care of airheads. They had a couple on display just Saturday when I was there:

51693771421_0559edc6dc_b.jpg

51694043313_da93a652e3_b.jpg

51693771276_7672a5d13f_b.jpg

51692976677_d78d2a8b57_b.jpg

This seems like a natural fit for me. They buy and sell airheads, do tune ups and restore them. It's already something they're heavily in

Max certainly does Airheads. My impression was that Benchmark was more about pre-Airheads. The press release says the inventory is being moved. But I wonder about the knowledge and history of the older bikes. There is some talk about Vech's right hand partner, Richard, being remote support in the future. I always felt good that I could call Vech or Richard and get help with my concerns/needs.

Thank you Vech!

I'm new to the forum, and I'm in the process of restoring a 1961 R27. Bench Mark was fantastic! They were generous with their time and much needed advice--really customer oriented. Vech, and Richard, were great! I look forward to working with Max, but its hard to imagine better customer service than what Vech and Richard provided at Bench Mark.

Thank you!

From a MAX email-

F0A63E48-B915-46B6-9755-14D0EA41D653.jpeg

We're excited to announce that in November, MAX BMW purchased Bench Mark Works, a well-known BMW Motorcycle vintage parts and service company that was based in Mississippi. Both Bench Mark Works and MAX BMW are known for their deep commitment to the care, maintenance and restoration of vintage BMW motorcycles and we had worked together for many years prior to the sale.
According to Craig “Vech” Vechorik, founder of Bench Mark Works, “My entire career has been driven by my passion for keeping vintage BMW motorcycles running and I wanted Bench Mark Works to continue its legacy once I retired. Max Stratton and his team at MAX BMW share my passion for vintage BMWs and they are the ideal partner to assume our extensive inventory of hard-to-find parts and the Bench Mark Works name.”
The sale includes the Bench Mark Works extensive parts inventory, the Bench Mark Works name and website. While MAX BMW will incorporate the Bench Mark Works inventory into its own online parts catalog, it will also continue to maintain Bench Mark Works as a destination for pre-1970’s vintage parts and accept orders by phone and email.
“Vech is an absolute legend in the BMW world and truly one-of-a-kind as a keeper of the flame for the marque,” said Max Stratton, founder and owner of MAX BMW Motorcycles. “Over the years, MAX BMW has worked with Bench Mark Works to source hard-to-find and discontinued parts for some of our restoration projects and I have admired Vech’s encyclopedic knowledge and his love of sharing these bikes with others.”
In a message to customers, Vech commented “Max loves BMWs, especially old BMW's, and he and his organization were the logical people to take Bench Mark Works over. I am excited for Bench Mark Works to carry on with new blood.”
The entire Bench Mark Works inventory was moved from Mississippi to Connecticut last month and MAX BMW is now fulfilling Bench Mark Works orders.

Vech and his wife Elaine are looking forward to a retirement that includes more riding and enjoying their collection of vintage BMWs.

Pretty cool.

Good luck to everyone.

OM

Max certainly does Airheads. My impression was that Benchmark was more about pre-Airheads. The press release says the inventory is being moved. But I wonder about the knowledge and history of the older bikes. There is some talk about Vech's right hand partner, Richard, being remote support in the future. I always felt good that I could call Vech or Richard and get help with my concerns/needs.

I've used both Max and Vech for parts on my /2. Both are excellent. If they can link parts that are NLA from BMW to the repro parts Tech has, that'd sure simplify acquiring parts.

Good for Craig.

Back