• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2016 RT GPS Options?

nevada72

Vintage User
I'm sure this has been beat to death somewhere....but I can't find it. What are my options outside the Navigator VI for GPS using the RT factory mount? Is there an adapter that allows a Zumo XT? I'm woefully ignorant as to GPS options period, let alone the specifics on my application (I'm a new owner). And the problems that seem to be guaranteed with the Nav IV are daunting. Any help would be very much appreciated. I had to rely on written directions yesterday because Google Maps isn't working right on my phone.

Adapter used to mount Zumo XT to my 2020 RT

I had this similar desire to mount the Zumo XT to my RT. I was not interested in the NAV VI due to the ongoing reports of problems and associated warranty replacements.

So I scoured the WWW and found a company in Italy that makes an adapter to mount the Zumo XT to the OEM nav mount on the RT. It converts only the power pins from the original mount so it does not work with the wonderwheel. But it puts the Zumo XT in the same location only extended a fraction nearer to you to clear the bezel since the Zumo display screen is slightly larger that the NAV V and NAV VI screens. And it uses power from the original wiring so you do not have to run any other power leads.

The adapter has been in place on my 2020 RT for about 5 months and 12000 miles without any problem. Received my order from Italy via UPS option about two weeks after placing the order. Conversion from European currency to U.S. dollars upped the price a bit as compared to what is displayed on the company's web site. I have been pleased and would buy it again if needed.

URL to the Adapter3DMotorad site: https://www.adapter3dmotorrad.com/en/product/e-nav-xt-rt/

I had this similar desire to mount the Zumo XT to my RT. I was not interested in the NAV VI due to the ongoing reports of problems and associated warranty replacements.

So I scoured the WWW and found a company in Italy that makes an adapter to mount the Zumo XT to the OEM nav mount on the RT. It converts only the power pins from the original mount so it does not work with the wonderwheel. But it puts the Zumo XT in the same location only extended a fraction nearer to you to clear the bezel since the Zumo display screen is slightly larger that the NAV V and NAV VI screens. And it uses power from the original wiring so you do not have to run any other power leads.

The adapter has been in place on my 2020 RT for about 5 months and 12000 miles without any problem. Received my order from Italy via UPS option about two weeks after placing the order. Conversion from European currency to U.S. dollars upped the price a bit as compared to what is displayed on the company's web site. I have been pleased and would buy it again if needed.

URL to the Adapter3DMotorad site: https://www.adapter3dmotorrad.com/en/product/e-nav-xt-rt/

Great find! I wonder if it works for other Garmin GPS's?

Great find! I wonder if it works for other Garmin GPS's?

The web site lists several GPS mounting products. I did not notice other models of Garmin GPS units mounted to RTs but there are K1600, GS's as well as Tom Tom adapters too. So they may have something for you.

I suggest that you use their contacts link on the website to send them a message about your specific interest.

The web site lists several GPS mounting products. I did not notice other models of Garmin GPS units mounted to RTs but there are K1600, GS's as well as Tom Tom adapters too. So they may have something for you.

I suggest that you use their contacts link on the website to send them a message about your specific interest.

A closer look at the site shows other options, thanks.

Exactly the information I was hoping for! Thank you so much!

edit - shows out of stock but I left my email for notification when it becomes available.

The item is back in stock. I ordered it the other day and it's already here! Now I just need to buy the Zumo XT! :D

Back