• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Helmet Hook

gsinnc

IMG_5725.jpgFriends of mine had gotten a Helmet Hook a few years back but I never thought it was necessary since I never had issues with my helmet on my seat. Fast forward to 2021 and my 2018 R1200GS with Sargent seat. This GS has a side stand which is a tad short resulting in a greater lean angle. That along with the new Sargent Seat that is a tad slippery caused me to rethink resting my helmet on the seat when the bike is parked. Never had a tumble but also never wanted to have one. So time to rethink this Helmet Hook thing. When I checked online I saw they made 2 versions; the standard version and the Stainless Steel Version. The Stainless version looks more durable to me and also looked a bit slimmer. Unfortunately they are out of stock on the Stainless version. As a result I posted a remind me note on the site and you won't believe this .... George the owner of the company actually contacted me informing me they would be in stock in a couple months. Great I thought as I was not in any hurry but I also figured I would never hear from him again. HA! a couple weeks ago I get a note from George telling me they are now back in stock if I was still interested. WOW. Actual customer service. So I order up the stainless Helmet Hook and BAM ... installed on the GS in a snap and looks great. Have honestly not used it yet but planning on an all day ride on Thursday and will give a a real life test.

Just wanted to share a functional product made in the USA and a company with dang good service.

The Helmet Hook was mentioned in the October Owner's News but with an incorrect web link. Here is the correct link if interested.

https://thehelmethook.com/products/the-helmet-hook

Thanks, Ed! Always good to hear nice stories and it sure seems they were spot on with their customer service! :thumb

It looks like this only works for helmets that have the double D rings. It doesn't look like it will hold a ratchet style fastener.

It looks like this only works for helmets that have the double D rings. It doesn't look like it will hold a ratchet style fastener.

Yes based on the design yes .... BUT all you'd have to do is get a round metal loop, even a key ring, fasten your helmet with the loop inside the strap and bam you are in business.

I just tested to make sure it works :nod

IMG_5734.jpg

IMG_5735.jpg

I have one and never use it. I just set the helmet on the ground near the side stand and front foot peg. If I am worried I just carry the helmet with me. It would only take a second for some to steal the helmet by simply lifting it or cutting the strap.

I have one and never use it. I just set the helmet on the ground near the side stand and front foot peg. If I am worried I just carry the helmet with me. It would only take a second for some to steal the helmet by simply lifting it or cutting the strap.

I too have never thought I needed one either. I have always just put the helmet on the seat (NEVER on the ground) and that worked fine. BUT when I got my '18 GS the side stand was a bit shorter and resulted in the bike leaning more than my RT. On the GS I rarely use the center stand and with my Sargent seat I worried the helmet might slip off the seat and get scratched. So for ME and for my situation the helmet hook was the perfect solution and the Stainless model was less obtrusive. NOTE ... security was NEVER a concern for me and that was not why I got the Hook. It was simply a secure place to put my helmet and not have it get damaged. I do at times take it with me but that can be a pain. Oh ... I also like the Hook when it is windy out as that is another time I would worry about the helmet blowing off the seat. And like anything else if you do secure the helmet with a lock it is only for the honest thief as they can always find a way to steal whatever they want.

But on my RT where the seat of very flat and wide and the bike sits much more upright on the side stand and where the center stand is a piece of cake to utilize I will probably rarely use the Hook.

For at least ten years I have been using a coiled, plastic covered , bicycle combination lock. On each bike, the lock is always wrapped through the right passenger grab handle. The lock part of the cable sits inside the helmet with the visor closed. The helmet is placed on the right pannier and if it should be necessary to open that case, the helmet can be shifted to the passenger seat.

This takes seconds to secure the helmet to the bike and protects it from both falls and theft. A friend uses a ski locking device but I consider the wire rather thin for deterring theft and too long to prevent a helmet from hitting the ground, if it should be bumped.

My locks are ones where you create your own combination and to keep life simple, they are identical with the same password.

I secure my Nolan by its quick release to a passenger grip with this combo: Helmetlok 4104 Carabiner Style Helmet Lock and Extension

(Okay, no idea how this image turned out like this… but I can’t seem to delete it…)

Attachments

• B5DB2648-DB8E-469D-B226-6E22ACEF0513.jpeg
    B5DB2648-DB8E-469D-B226-6E22ACEF0513.jpeg
    35.9 KB · Views: 566
  • 1A1B1FE7-0D12-42F7-9EF3-EF0AAB62DCF6.jpeg
    1A1B1FE7-0D12-42F7-9EF3-EF0AAB62DCF6.jpeg
    181.6 KB · Views: 590
I used to use the built in helmet lock on my first bike (1975 Suzuki GT380 - bought new in 1975!) until someone thought it would be funny to dump their soda into my helmet...

After that, I either carried my helmet with me, or locked it up in a saddlebag or the trunk. Fool me once...

I secure my Nolan by its quick release to a passenger grip with this combo: Helmetlok 4104 Carabiner Style Helmet Lock and Extension

(Okay, no idea how this image turned out like this… but I can’t seem to delete it…)

I have one of those too and use it when I want to lock my helmet which is VERY rare. The Hook is just easier but like the carabiner when needing to lock it.

The website he linked mentions that his new style DOES work with a ratchet...as I read it, the strap sits vertically in the hook slot and the ratchet stops tyhe slide through when it reaches the narrow hook. Or maybe you just close the ratchet...anyway- it works...I put mine on my ilium foot peg and use that caribiner when I'm away for a while.

I have one of those too and use it when I want to lock my helmet which is VERY rare. The Hook is just easier but like the carabiner when needing to lock it.

Same here… I think I’ve only used it once since buying it six months ago. As others have noted, my RT sits more upright than a GS so it’s easier to rest the helmet on the seat (or above the dash or in the top box). Otherwise, I’ll take it with me when I park the bike.

My mirror very happy to hold my helmet

View attachment 85848

Although I have used a bunch of places and ways to store my helmet I never use the mirrors. Probably old wives tale but I recall hearing that can damage your helmet. I'd opt for the seat or the tank/dash covering the GPS before I pop it on the mirror stalk. But hey to each his own. Lots of guys use tank bags that rest on the top of the tank too ... HA! But hey all good.

My helmet mostly goes in the usually empty top case, or a pannier. If the luggage is full, it sits upright over the clutch-reservoir-mounted GPS, which helps keep rain, leaves, etc. out of the helmet. The weight is on the bottom edge, resting on the handlebar, grip, and clutch lever. The gps or empty mount just keeps it from falling off, so not enough pressure to damage the interior. Sometimes I add a cable lock to secure the helmet/jacket/air vest.

35955270061_1095c742f0_z.jpg

I use a Helmet Lok and cable to attach mine to the luggage rack on my F850GS. If I'm going to be gone a while and the bigger of the aluminum side cases is mostly empty, I'll put the helmet in there.

I usually just hang my helmet on a footpeg. However, at times I might be a a location I consider to be a bit questionable. In such a case I use a padlock to lock my Pelican case top-case and a cable with that padlock to secure my helmet to the bike. I have a set of four identically keyed padlocks, a couple of cables, and keys to the locks on both my key set and Voni's key set.

I pass on the foot peg deal. Too much on the bottom of daily life foot soles to think about any transfer to my head and ears.
:sick
OM

I pass on the foot peg deal. Too much on the bottom of daily life foot soles to think about any transfer to my head and ears.
:sick
OM

That is an excellent point. My defense is that 99.99 percent of my miles are solo and I hang the helmet on a passenger foot peg.

I'm not sure about having a short strip of metal an an area that could possibly restrict my left hand - too many other areas to hang a helmet. :lurk

E.

Last edited:
Back