• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Bad Stick Coil? 2017 R12GSA

akbeemer

SURVIVOR
Yesterday I tried to start my GSA and it was very hard to get to fire, and when it did it was only running on one cylinder. I determined that it was the left side that was not firing by the relative temperature of the exhaust headers. I tried a new spark plug and it made no difference. I "borrowed" a coil from Annie's 2017 R12GS and the bike fired up as normal and ran normally. Ah Ha! Just for the heck of it, I put my coil in Annie's bike and her bike started and ran normally. I then put my suspect coil back in my GSA and it ran normally. Hmmmm....... This morning I took a test ride on the GSA with the suspect coil still installed. The bike was in the heated area of the shop overnight that was at about 50 degrees. Moved the bike outside and tried to start it. It was very difficult to start but finally ran on one cylinder for about five seconds; then itt ran normally. Stopped and started the bike a few times and each start was as normal. I took it on a 20 mile test ride and it ran normally, including on the two occasions that I took it to 8,500 RPM to see if there was a misfire. I attempted to check the resistance across the three terminals on the coils. I was intending to compare readings from three coils to see if there were some noteworthy differences. The readings were all over the place at least inpart from the difficulty I had in getting the probes where I need them and I also think my meter's battery is weak. Will try again tomorrow.

So that's where I am at the moment. Any suggestions, clues or ideas? A coil is $188, so I don't want to replace one and find that the problem still exists. That being said, better a coil than a problem further upstream.

Yesterday I tried to start my GSA and it was very hard to get to fire, and when it did it was only running on one cylinder. I determined that it was the left side that was not firing by the relative temperature of the exhaust headers. I tried a new spark plug and it made no difference. I "borrowed" a coil from Annie's 2017 R12GS and the bike fired up as normal and ran normally. Ah Ha! Just for the heck of it, I put my coil in Annie's bike and her bike started and ran normally. I then put my suspect coil back in my GSA and it ran normally. Hmmmm....... This morning I took a test ride on the GSA with the suspect coil still installed. The bike was in the heated area of the shop overnight that was at about 50 degrees. Moved the bike outside and tried to start it. It was very difficult to start but finally ran on one cylinder for about five seconds; then itt ran normally. Stopped and started the bike a few times and each start was as normal. I took it on a 20 mile test ride and it ran normally, including on the two occasions that I took it to 8,500 RPM to see if there was a misfire. I attempted to check the resistance across the three terminals on the coils. I was intending to compare readings from three coils to see if there were some noteworthy differences. The readings were all over the place at least inpart from the difficulty I had in getting the probes where I need them and I also think my meter's battery is weak. Will try again tomorrow.

So that's where I am at the moment. Any suggestions, clues or ideas? A coil is $188, so I don't want to replace one and find that the problem still exists. That being said, better a coil than a problem further upstream.

While I don't have a GSA, I had these exact same symptoms on my Triumph Legend 900TT (a triple). It was definitely the coils, in my case. Replaced all three coils, symptoms totally disappeared and never reappeared while i owned that bike.

While I don't have a GSA, I had these exact same symptoms on my Triumph Legend 900TT (a triple). It was definitely the coils, in my case. Replaced all three coils, symptoms totally disappeared and never reappeared while i owned that bike.

Thanks. I guess I should be thankful that I only have two coils to potentially replace.

Back