• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

nikasil cylinders on a 1977 r100

I got a set of nikasil jugs I want to to put them on a 77 r100 short block is there anything needed to be done before I do this?

Other than the usual cylinder preparations, not much. The rings for a Nikasil setup are different than standard. Plus any honing needs to be done with the proper tools. The Nikasil coating can be ripped up if not careful.

What year cylinders do you have?

Later 80/90’s cylinders have a step in the base that has to be machined off to fit a /7 block.

Good point. Lots of good reading in the threads in the Similar Threads pane below.

I have a 77 R100RS. I replaced the cylinders, pistons, and rings with the nikasil-coated cylinder set sold by Ted Porter. These were made by Siebenrock. Ted suggested that I add the base gasket to the cylinders unless I planned to make the heads dual plugged.

I had dual plugged heads on a /6 and timing was somewhat altered from stock (a bit more advanced with a different advance curve). I did not want to go through that again so I opted for the base gasket and slightly lower compression.

The bike runs very well, no oil consumption. Installation was very straightforward. [I had Ted Porter work on the heads - new exhaust seats, valves, valve springs, and valve guides. The heads looked new on return!]

At Ted's suggestion I used a 3-Bond sealant (e.g., Hondabond, Yamabond, etc.) about the base of the cylinder rather than the old Hylomar sealant. No leaks or weaps about the cylinder base. Use sealant sparingly!!! Use new push-rod seals and top push-rod guide tube o-rings. Keep sealant away from the o-rings and nearby area!!

I used 25 ft-lbs as the torque setting for the head bolts. Head bolts were re-torqued after 500 miles. Very little, if any, change in valve clearances at subsequent service intervals. I use silicone, re-usable valve cover gaskets. No leaks.

Later 80/90’s cylinders have a step in the base that has to be machined off to fit a /7 block.

John or anyone else know where I can find a picture, link, or video to find of the "step" that needs to be ground down? Thanks for all the input.

Nickasil cylinders on 77 R100

That step on the later cylinders positively centers the cylinder in the cases. Without it the cylinder can be mover around slightly against the 77 case. I know this because I bought a Seidelbock 1070 CC kit which cannot be used on my 77 cases.

Snowbum writes about this in red font about 1/3 the way down this page:

https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/cylinders.htm

I bought the siebenrock 1070cc kit from a vendor in Germany. They did not have the caution about these being for 1980 and later bikes. The entire engine was already reassembled except for the cylinders & heads when I ordered the 1070 cc kit so it would have required pulling it apart again to do the case machining necessary to properly fit the 1070 cylinders. I just ordered the Seibenrock 1000cc cylinder kit. I now have a very expensive kit with longer rods, pistons & cylinders sitting on my workbench. Decided to just keep them for a possible 1980's bike since I got a really good price on them.

Source for cylinder step removal

Sorry it's taken me a while to get back to this. Ted Porters lists the cylinder base machine work to fit 81 on Nikasil cylinders to a 76-80 BMW on their 'cylinder head repair' page. I just reviewed the page. Mail in service: "Remove step on cylinder base to fit 81 on Nikasil cylinders to 76-80 engine blocks" $60.00 per pair plus postage. The page is dated 2021.

Back