• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New MC Cannonball Record Run

Alot of long distance Glider Pilots use a catheter condom tube set up to pee overboard in.
Not as difficult or weird as it sounds.
We often have flights of 7, 8, 9, 10+ hrs In the peak of the summer.
Nick

Many years ago I used to fly gliders, and I collected a thread from the message board at the time about how to pee while in the air. I attach what I have below. It still makes me laugh.

Ken

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have the pee system hooked up and routed to my landing gear--I have a tee in it with a clamp that I can "blow out" when there is urine in the line--the tee being hooked to an external catheter.My question is--When do you hook up this contraption? Hard to do in the air while thermalling--Don't want to hook it up on the ground while waiting for tow--Don't want to walk around with a tube sticking out of zipper!! I am truly perplexed as to what to do and what others do. Any serious responses would be greatly appreciated--no cracks about giving myself a BJ with the "blow out" tube!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just use three regular freeze-bags...simple as that... cathether and stuff seems painful =( Just have the bags ready, and when the time is up, just pull it out and do youre business, and then throw the bag out in the air.
1.When you're hung like a church mouse, it's hard to get the pee into the bags. I am semi-reclined in my Jantar so I end up having to pee uphill.

2.The catheters are very easy and give me that extra length I've always longed for. I hook up to a long tube that I run out the gear doors. When you are in a large gaggle it's nice not to have to do anything more than lower the gear. ( caution: do not follow too close if you see me flying with the gear down. )
The only time I ever tossed a full bag out of the window, it got stuck on the leading edge of the wing. Try as I might, slow down, stall, waggle the wings, it remained stuck there until the end of the flight. It didn't drop off until final stop. I picked it up and disposed of it properly. That was my lesson for the day, and I would never do it again. The ziplock closure is fairly secure, and I now stash to bag to the side.
Placing a disposable diaper (toddler size) in a zip lockbag provides a great collection system. Fluid is bound in the diaper and if the bag is torn, the fluid loss is miniscule. My problem is the shrinkage of my plumbing during cold flights. This past January 31, on a eight hour mission(five soaring) with OAT <30F and solid overcast, shrinkage was almost complete! Need to rig an electric sock.
I've tried both systems, ziplocks and catheter/tubes. Wrestling with trying to pee uphill into a bag never quite worked for me. The seating attitude is a problem, for psychologically releasing the floodgates and the logistics of positioning the bag and flying simutaneously.

So the catheter seems to the best solution, but my problem is with the adhesive on the catheter. The first time I put on one of those Freedom catheters I just about had a nervous breakdown because it was attached with such enthusiasm. I gave up and used a ziplock that time. Surely that sticky stuff must have been invented by the devil himself. It seems a close relative of duct tape. The structural integrity of the catheter and adhesive approaches the structural integrity of my johnson: not a good combination. I've also ordered alternate brands from Rochester Medical. etc. from www.allegromedical.com. Same problem. Can anyone say whether the damn things are easier to remove after a few hours of flight?
The catheter with the foam tape makes an excellent Pubic Hair remover.
Usually they are easier to remove after several hours.... However, that may still not be satisfactory.

What I do is to carefully unroll the catheter onto my thumb, and, as the adhesive starts to become exposed, I sprinkle baby powder all around it. Once the adhesive is coated, you can roll it back up in order to "install" it. The powder takes the bite (ouch!) out of removal. If you are worried about not having enough stickiness to keep it on while peeing, just wrap your hand around yourself and the catheter while peeing. An advantage is that you can grab the catheter/tube connection between your thumb and forefinger to make sure that it doesn't come loose under pressure as well.

ALERT! There is an expensive brand of catheters that is supposed to be much easier to install. However, they are very short and intended to adhere just to the head of the penis. DO NOT EVEN THINK OF USING THESE!!!!!!! WOW! I still haven't recovered from that one! I think they use some sort of epoxy as adhesive!
Boy, does this thread bring back some horrible memories! My first experience with Freedom Cath was frightening. Upon returning from my first flight using one, all the tugging and rolling and pulling brought tears to my eyes long before I was free of it's grip. After repeating the same maneuver the following weekend (thinking that perhaps the week before had seen a defective product) I learned to dust *myself* with powder before making the drive to the glider port. By the time I had completed my pre-flight preparations, just enough powder remained to make post-flight catheter removal bearable. (that's bearable...not pleasurable).
My first attempt at a pee system was to hook up a catheter directly to a fitting right under the seat on my Jantar, which worked pretty well until I inspected my undercarriage and discovered just how corrosive urine is. About this time there was an article in Soaring that said that if you run the tube back to the gear door, when you lower the gear, it gets the pee away from the plane and not on it. It also said that if you put a T in the line, you could blow the remaining pee out of the tube keeping it from becoming incredibly foul. Sounded good to me , so I hooked it all up and tested it on the ground by pouring water through it and it worked fine, so up I went. I waited until I really had to go, of course, lowered the gear, and let'er rip. Well the pee started coming out of my blow tube and getting all over me. You know how hard it is to stop once you get going, so in haste, I pinched the tube off which caused the catheter to start filling like a water balloon. I then stuck the blow tube out the vent, blowing hot piss out all over my wings and tail. I figured that the exit tube had some kind of blockage in it so maybe I could fix it by blowing on it. The tube was still filled with pee, so I pulled it back in, wiped it off as good as I could and blew. This forced all the pee in the tube back into the catheter and again blew it up like a balloon. Not think again I took the tube out of my mouth which then covered me with a shower of pee right in the face. I can honestly say that it just doesn't taste all that bad. I have fixed the problem and it works fine now. I am very happy to hear about the powdered pecker procedure though. I think the catheter is the safest way to go, no fumbling with anything durring the flight.
I will relate an event that a rather well known pilot had with his pee system, he used the trusty ziplock bag and soon after he got his new glider(at the time) he did his usual trick and dropped it out the clearvue, the bag clipped the leading edge and emptied the contents out the underside of the wing The a/c in question was an ASW17 ,the 17 uses a NASA intake for the cockpit air located under wing /fuse junction ,the pilot received a "golden shower" from his cockpit air vent. He fortunately had a good sense of humour so everybody at the bar afterwards was treated with a story on how it happened.
Finally, a woman added ...

Yikes, you guys have your own problems. I had no idea.

Back