• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2016 R1200 R Buying Advice

bdogchicago

Thinking about moving on from my '92 K75S and purchasing a R1200 R. I found a nice fully featured (Premium package, all factory options) at a local dealer with ~12,000 miles. I'm new to boxers. Is there anything I should look out for with these bikes? Any major issues? Also, it's out of the factory warranty. Are RPM One warranties worth it?

Thanks.

b

Thinking about moving on from my '92 K75S and purchasing a R1200 R. I found a nice fully featured (Premium package, all factory options) at a local dealer with ~12,000 miles. I'm new to boxers. Is there anything I should look out for with these bikes? Any major issues? Also, it's out of the factory warranty. Are RPM One warranties worth it?

Thanks.

b

I can't answer the question but do suspect that the year of this model will make a difference in the answers you receive.

I have a 2016 R1200RS...same engine as the R1200R. All other things being equal 120000 miles is nothing...just broken in. There is nothing special to look for.

Just all the normal stuff...crashed, round wheels, etc etc.

2016 us now 5 years....I preemptively but a new battery in..for peace of mind on trips

The type of warrantee the dealer will give is a good indictor of what he(she) thinks.

Have fun

Look for oil leaks around heads. Not a likely problem, but can happen if bike has been dropped.

Agree with others: 12k miles is nothing. But 12k is suspiciously right at service interval. Don't buy it without seeing service records, and making sure they are current.

I just passed 40K miles on my 2016 RT. The bike has been rock solid and didn't really feel broken in until ~30K miles.

Thanks.

b

The only problem I can think of is a few of the bikes had bad cams.
Might not hurt to have the dealer pull the head covers and look at the cams before purchase.

A good negotiating point may be the new extended warranty that BMW is offering.
OM

A good negotiating point may be the new extended warranty that BMW is offering.
OM

Here's a summary if the OP did not see the Extended Warranty Thread.

As of May, 2021, we offer Extended Service Contracts now offered directly from BMW Motorrad.
Here is what the coverage consists of:
Program Details:
− Up to 7 years and unlimited miles of coverage available.
− $0 deductible.
− No Cancellation fees.
− 100% BMW Replacement Parts.
− 24-Hour Roadside Assistance.
− Maintenance and “Wear and Tear” items are excluded.
- One level of coverage - Platinum plan, higher level of extended coverage.
Both “in-warranty” and “out-of-warranty” coverage.
− Only BMW Motorcycles and Scooters are eligible.
− Repairs must be completed by an authorized BMW Motorrad Dealer.
− Protects Performance and Resale Value of your Motorcycle and/or Scooter

Here is the pricing for additional years on your R1250 RS:
Unlimited mileage
1 YR – $760
2 YR – $1030
3 YR – $1200
4 YR – $1320

Yes, this is a transferrable warranty to an individual (not a dealer….then you would cancel it) at no cost.
Here is verbiage in the contact about towing.

E. Towing Service: In the event of a mechanical breakdown, a collision or road hazard event, your vehicle will be transported (at no cost) to the nearest authorized BMW Motorrad Dealer. However, you may request for your vehicle to be taken to your servicing BMW Motorrad Dealer as long as it is within 50 additional miles or less of the “nearest” authorized BMW Motorrad Dealer. Any additional mileage charges beyond this limit will be your responsibility. If the breakdown occurs after normal business hours and the designated authorized BMW Motorrad Dealer cannot accept after-hours deliveries, your vehicle will be transported to a secure storage location and delivered on the next business day. If you request that the vehicle be taken to a location other than an authorized BMW Motorrad Dealer, the entire expense will be your responsibility

Not sure if out of warranty service means you can buy the extended warranty after the original warranty has run out.

Extended Warranties...

BMW has pretty much the same warranty contract for their Automobiles.

Our past 2016 R1200RS had 41,000 on her and was absolutely trouble free with no cam degradation.

Ours did do the water pump leak dance for the first 6,000 miles, then was leak free.

I say the above because for some of us the extended warranty is for peace of mind.

Financing the $1,080 contract cost over 5 years made it way easy.

P.S. The BMW Extended Warranty on our 2021 X3 M Competition was about $6,500; the BMW Extended Maintenance contract was also about $6,500. Peace of mind...

Mine has been wonderful- well, I had the nav VI replaced and there were tupperware issues handled under warranty (I think the mechanic was responsible....oh yeah early on there was a leak around the valve cover- they fixed that too. no problems since all problems were when new. ditto on them doing the 12K service...it's pricey

I'm on my fourth Boxer #1 a used (17K miles ) 04RT traded in @ 107,142 miles, one problem : gas pump went south at 73K miles #2 a new 14RTWC traded in @ 107,416 miles , one problem : drive shaft universal joint failure at 76K miles #3 a new 18RTWC traded in @ 111,280 , one problem : exhaust cam on left head needed replaced #4 a new 21RTWCSC bought 9-14-21 currently 5,567 miles no problems yet. The Boxer is a very reliable engine as the four I have owned can attest to. If the bike you are looking at has only 12K miles the dealer should have already performed the 12K service if not it should be included as part of the deal.
As far as extended warranty's I have always gotten one on my new bikes since the factory warranty for me usually runs out in 12-14 months (36K ) and when I trade in in three or four years I get a refund on the time not used so for me it's a win-win .
I have only been riding Beemers for the last eleven years out of the fifty nine years I have been riding and wouldn't think of going to another brand, I highly recommend the Boxer.

Make sure gas cap opens. Mine requires a wrench. Service people say it's not an uncommon problem.

Tire pressure sensor system acting up. I presume wheel sensor sending unit battery is about done.

Thanks to everyone for all of the feedback. I've gone ahead and purchased. Only a few short rides in but lovin it already. Weather permitting, will get a few photos this weekend.

Quick add-on question to my buying advice request. What is the average cost for the 12K and annual services - barring any unforeseen major issues? As it turns out, the 12K service was not completed prior to sale and including it would have meant purchasing a full service package (see below). Trying to determine if the value is there for a full service pacage or simply address on an "as need" basis.

• $1,795
  • 24 months
  • $ Deductible

Basically, $900/year. In this case, it would cover my 12K service and annual next year though not sure if I'll put 6K miles in by end of next year.

Quick add-on question to my buying advice request. What is the average cost for the 12K and annual services - barring any unforeseen major issues? .

Here's what the shop does at 12,000 miles.
You can save some money by doing some of the work yourself.

12,000 Mile Service.jpg

Back