• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K1200RS brakes - gone

dzimand

after a tiny fall, my brakes started to have problems . .

Same ol ABS issues as most. Faults on dash, etc. But worked.

Flushed ABS system and lines, and it worked to get rid of faults, to my shock. Went for a quick ride and all was well. Put it all back together and then battery died. Replaced, but now brake servos don't work at all. No faults, just no brakes.
I can't imagine a dealer can help, but wondering if could be covered under insurance since after a small accident. But, seeking assistance! Help! Love this bike, but starting to feel like it's just dead, which kills me.

Love help with this.

Start by checking basics like having all the wires correctly connected at the new battery, and checking fuses. You may get better responses by being more explicit about what the bike is doing—does it start and run normally? Are all the other dash indicators lighting up as normal?

Best,
DeVern

Start by checking basics like having all the wires correctly connected at the new battery, and checking fuses. You may get better responses by being more explicit about what the bike is doing—does it start and run normally? Are all the other dash indicators lighting up as normal?

Best,
DeVern

If I remember correctly the K1200RS has three wires to the battery.
It would be easy to forget one.

If I remember correctly the K1200RS has three wires to the battery.
It would be easy to forget one.

Well...

There's actually four if you count the positive terminal.

Otherwise there are three negative wires connected to the battery on our 2003 K1200RS.

Two are big and robust, the third looks like a connection for heated gear or a battery charger.

Earlier models had different fuse boxes and different connections, if I'm remembering the wiring on on 2004 K1200RS correctly.

Well...

There's actually four if you count the positive terminal.

Otherwise there are three negative wires connected to the battery on our 2003 K1200RS.

Two are big and robust, the third looks like a connection for heated gear or a battery charger.

Earlier models had different fuse boxes and different connections, if I'm remembering the wiring on on 2004 K1200RS correctly.

Any time I disconnect wires from a battery I gather all the wires from a terminal (if more than one) and connect them to each other with a wire tie. This is true for either the negative or positive terminal. This makes it a lot easier to be sure I get them all reattached. I learned the need to do this the hard way. :banghead

K1200RS brakes

I had problems when on a 5200+ mile trip. Found out that there is a micro-switch under the rear brake pedal that sometimes get out of align. When the brake failure light is flashing faster than normal. I would have to push UP on the brake foot pedal. Then the rear brake light would go out and the brake failure light would slow the flashing rate to normal.

For most of the trip the brake sensors or the POWER brake wasn't until that rear brake micro-switch finally clicked!

I should find a new or used micro-switch maybe? or could this be a theft deterent?

Back