• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

310 stator limitations?

Been reading concerns about stator/battery on the 310GS. Can grip heaters and a heated jacket be run at the same time, or are you risking draining the battery? Thanks

I only have grip heaters on my 2018, but also run a phone, GoPro (higher amperage USB ports), GPS, additional lights -- and the electrical system shows no sign of strain, even at idle.

I am looking into picking up a heated vest for the winter.

I do not have heated grips but do ride with a Gerbing Jacket Liner and have not stressed the system at all. So now we have a report that grips work OK and that a liner works OK. Who uses both??

Just got back from a two day ride, where I ran the grip heaters and jacket the entire time. Happy to report no problems.

Breaking News -Stator Test Results

Thanks Paul.

Depart from the Grayling Restaurant at or about 7:00AM.

Updates: https://raise.rotary.org/Wayne-Koppa/fundraiser

Garmin satellite tracking: https://share.garmin.com/wckoppa

Current temperature: 32F

No dilly dally.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449

I have a volt meter installed in the dash of the 310GS. Running a Garmin GPS, factory heated grips, Denali LED driving lights and a Gerbing Microfiber jacket all of the time, the stator carried 12.5 volts at idle and 14.1 under throttle. It did this for about 15 hours with temperatures from 31 F to 53 F with no sign of issues.

The test of the stator was incorporated with a fund raiser to eliminate Polio. The expenses from the 580 mile trip were taken care of by my wife and I and we have successfully raised $1,400 so far with some checks being mailed. The $1,400 raised so far will be tripled by the Gates Foundation so we have $4,200 and should do over $5,000 in the end. If you want to be part of that it is a solid cause. When we put Polio away we can spend those medical efforts on other needs:

https://raise.rotary.org/Wayne-Koppa/fundraiser

I may have to do some more stator testing with additional heated gear:)

It is pretty amazing how that little bike can take a beating and keep on charging along.

Wayne Koppa
Garyling, MI
#71,449

Not attempting to hijack the thread, but talking about stators, we just had to replace ours due to original design failing. Seems to be a common issue with failing right around 10k miles. Exactly what happened to us.

BMW acknowledged the issue with redesigning the stator with a different flywheel design. Apparently, the original design caused bolts to break loose. No bolts or parts had broken loose in our case, but the magneto was fried from something that caused a short. It requires a bunch of parts and a speciality tool to lock the flywheel in place when removing the old one.

Here's the gory picture from the surgery.

IMG_4061.jpg

Stator melted

I to have had the stator melt and quit charging, 2019 model GS built in last half of 2018, 17000km. Luckily left me stranded only 1/4mi from home. Ordered a new stator and rectifier from Ebay seller from china. No bolts were broke and everything else looked fine so if it ain't broke don't fix it ! Easy fix , no special tools but had to order a new cover gasket. Had read somewhere it might be a problem with rectifier over charging. Installed new stator and ran bike with old rectifier still hooked up - charged at 14.75v at idle, installed new rectifier and it is charging at 14.3v at idle and 14.5 at higher rpm. Cost was $105 for stator and $68 for rectifier off Ebay seller, shipping was included, little over a week and had parts. Due to a shipping error ended up with 2 stators so have a spare for next time. Happy to be out riding again.

Back