Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is this trickle charger safe for 2017 r1200rs?

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman48 View Post
    AND, if you have any interest in electric vehicles at all, you can bet your bottom dollar they aren't coming with AGM or old lead acid batteries either. Technology marches on and gets better all the time.
    Of course. But I don't need one to start my K75 or G310GS.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Lithium batteries is a option on the S1000RR and S1000R.
    Buying one off the showroom floor, IYO, which battery would likely be in either model if Lith is an option. Sounds as if they don't come with lith as a rule if it's an option where rainman basically states that's the batt that comes on those models.
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

wanderer
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Which is why I see absolutely no reason to use a lithium battery in anything larger than my laptop computer. Sure, they are smaller and lighter than a good VRLA (AGM or Gell) battery. So what? The weight difference might matter for a GP race bike but otherwise ......? They are markedly more expensive than the best VRLA batteries. I have seen no data intensive studies as to predicted battery life. I have read anecdotes announcing lifespans from 6 months to 10 years (Were they even around for motorcycles 10 years ago? My how time flies.) But I see those same anecdotes about AGM and even wet cell batteries too. Oh, and spontaneous fires are very rare for VRLA batteries and the same cannot be said for Lithium Ion batteries. Just ask any airline.
    Well said. Most motorcycle charging systems are NOT optimized for LI batteries...so all the questions about maintenance chargers apply to motorcycle charging. Yes many have gotten by ok mainly due luck and the internal to battery protection circuits. But some have failed spectacularly!

LI has a huge advantage of much higher energy storage density ...but it is a different beast to live with and care for. It is MUCH more prone to exothermal events (fires).

Done get caught up in a fad unless you are prepared to make the necessary changes and / or take the risks.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Anybody remember their parents or grandparents unplugging appliances before leaving the house?
    Charging has become a bit more complicated.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by ebell View Post
    Eight years.

Maybe consider a new charger for peace of mind, seeing you’ve got your moneys worth. Or send the manufacturer an email with your question.
    My newest charger is 15 years old, and the oldest is close to 40 years old. I still use both. Why replace them if they still function properly. Battery chargers typically just quit, they don't explode like in the movies and level your garage.
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

Well if your talking a lead battery then I think any charger will do even a 40 year old one. However battery's have a "preferred" methodology to charging them based on chemical composition.

AMP output at specific voltages makes or breaks a charger/battery.

Recently spent some time on the phone with a Yuasa tech. Scott is a great guy. I was asking about fitment of battery's for my 2017 GS. As stock is like 4 3/8" high their battery's are over 5". So to that there seems there is a spacer below the battery which allows a much taller(more plates) battery to be installed from the factory mini.

So I asked him about charging and maintaining. He is right down the road from me as the battery's are made in Reading, PA. Turns out he used to own a motorcycle shop and very familiar with Hermys as a client and friend. and is my dealer. Any way I asked do you keep your bikes on a charger and he said no. He said he will plug it in if he cant get a ride in over a few weeks in winter which here in PA we can ride a bit in winter. I asked why and he said that if the battery is used every few weeks and run over 2500 RPMs for a period of time that is all the battery needs. He says he does not maintain but rather once it completes a cycle of test, charge, and then into maintain mode, he unplugs it. Rinse and repeat as needed.

I have zero personal experience with LI but had a friend who had one and it was a PITA here in PA in the winter. He had to turn his bike on without starting and excite the battery, then turn the bike off, and then turn it back on and go for a start. He had a bit of money invested in the LI battery and specific charger.

I encourage anyone to look at battery chargers and their features to match them to the class of battery you are using. Again and battery's improve the techniques to maintain them and the science behind that is very relevant to your charger/battery match.

Me, I use Yuasa battery's as they are hometown for me made right down the road in the USA, and a Optimate charger. The Optimate runs a test cycle shooting varying amount of voltage into the battery to see if it can accept a charge. After that test it goes to charge. and then finally to maintain. I have seen 14.7 being shot into it while watching it run a test cycle but I did not stay on it too long as it takes a good bit of time for it to run the test cycle depending on the battery condition.

Use the right charger for the right battery. And not all chargers are created equal.
    The above is worth what you paid for it..........
    Lee 2017.5 R 1200 GSW

Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
    My newest charger is 15 years old, and the oldest is close to 40 years old. I still use both. Why replace them if they still function properly. Battery chargers typically just quit, they don't explode like in the movies and level your garage.
    My 14 year old BMW charger/maintainer finally gave up the ghost last year. Wouldn't charge past 2 yellow lights and go to green. I replaced it with a Noco charger maintainer.

One of the less expensive piece of kit for the motor, as it were
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quote Originally Posted by brownie0486 View Post
    My 14 year old BMW charger/maintainer finally gave up the ghost last year. Wouldn't charge past 2 yellow lights and go to green. I replaced it with a Noco charger maintainer.

One of the less expensive piece of kit for the motor, as it were
    I bought a battery charger at the "Sears and Roebuck Company" (that is what it said on the charger) back in 1966 to charge the battery in my car which had a failed generator so I could plug it in over night and drive on battery power to and from work at the Radar Station. That charger was still working fine until last year. Mud dauber wasps had filled it with their dirt nest and even after I got it cleaned out it wouldn't work.
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell

Quote Originally Posted by GREGFEELER View Post
    I am totally with you Paul. Unless you are building a super light performance bike where every pound counts, I don't see the point of the additional expense and risks of lithium batteries. I've seen reports of lion batter fires and they are not nice. When I can get a typical 10 years from an AGM battery for $130.00 I'm good.
    Agreed. I've had an AGM battery in my k13s for five years now and the new battery bought for the r12rs is the same. The battery tender still works fine so I don't see any need to swap it out, although I have definitely got my money's worth out of it. Thanks for all the good info on the new more sophisticated chargers.....I may need to buy one at some point.

I have a CTEK MXS 5.0 smart charger that I use when I expect the vehicle to go for months without being used. It keeps all the electronics happy so I don't have to reprogram my radio stations, reset the seats and the clock, etc. Generally it's better to keep a battery charged than let it go flat then bring it back, it's charge/(deep) discharge cycles that shorten their lives. The only time i put my bike on a charger was when i was gone for 3 months, same with the car.

Lithium batteries aren't worth the cost IMO. They're lighter by what, the weight of a half gallon of gas? Plus they need a Li-compatible charger, and as was pointed out above, the bike's charging system probably isn't optimized for Lithium batteries either. Me, my gear, and my bike loaded for travel is 800 lb, 3 lb will be unnoticeable. I made a much bigger difference when I quit donuts and milkshakes.

I also have a 30 year old ferroresonant dumb charger (the kind you wait for the ammeter to go down then disconnect before it boils the battery dry). And a starter pack with a lead acid battery in it. And a starter pack with a lithium battery in it. I should probably get rid of 2 of them.
    2020 R1250 GSA Low

Quote Originally Posted by LFarling View Post
    Well if your talking a lead battery then I think any charger will do even a 40 year old one. However battery's have a "preferred" methodology to charging them based on chemical composition.
    No argument there, my my post was in regards to the comment the someone should replace their eight year old battery charger, no reference to the type of battery. Simply age implied.

Other than Li-Ion batteries that should have a proper charger, any lead acid, including AGM, battery will do fine on what ever charger you have available, even Paul's from 1966 if it still functioned.
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

Other than Li-Ion batteries that should have a proper charger, any lead acid, including AGM, battery will do fine on what ever charger you have available, even Paul's from 1966 if it still functioned.
    It served one purpose very well. It was of course a dumb charger. But it was a 6 amp charger. And the instructions with my Odyssey batteries called for a 6 amp charge. So I would use it for 12 hours about once a month if a bike with the Odyssey wasn't being ridden.

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    It served one purpose very well. It was of course a dumb charger. But it was a 6 amp charger. And the instructions with my Odyssey batteries called for a 6 amp charge. So I would use it for 12 hours about once a month if a bike with the Odyssey wasn't being ridden.
    Thats not how it works. The charger has a capacity of 6 amps maximum output. If a battery calls for a 6 amp charge, that means you charge it with a constant 6 amps and the voltage varies as the battery reaches it max charge. These are called constant current chargers. Your charger is not that sophisticated. It will output a constant voltage with a current depending on the the draw of the battery up to 6 amps. As the battery reaches maxmimu charge, the current tapers off. Lead acid batteries do best on constant current chargers, especially the initial charge after servicing them with acid.

Quote Originally Posted by dravnx View Post
    Thats not how it works. The charger has a capacity of 6 amps maximum output. If a battery calls for a 6 amp charge, that means you charge it with a constant 6 amps and the voltage varies as the battery reaches it max charge. These are called constant current chargers. Your charger is not that sophisticated.
    OK. But it never caused an issue with any of several Odyssey batteries. It had me fooled. I am glad there are folks who really understand batteries. I don't actually pretend to.

But it sure is interesting how sellers of battery chargers tell us we need their very specific gizmo, when the charging system on the motorcycle works with a wet cell, AGM, Gell, and maybe even Lithium batteries. I smell an odor.

Because the OP was asking if the charger he currently (haha) owns would work with his new purchase. My response pointed to peace of mind to alleviate doubt. My comment had nothing to do with throwing working equipment into the landfill, and thank you for helping the planet.