• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Is this trickle charger safe for 2017 r1200rs?

It's safe for all batteries. It may not sufficiently charge a lithium battery for which special chargers are made. That said, as one tech said to me, if the motorcycle charging system works with a lithium battery then a Battery Tender will.

It's safe for all batteries. It may not sufficiently charge a lithium battery for which special chargers are made. That said, as one tech said to me, if the motorcycle charging system works with a lithium battery then a Battery Tender will.

Not true. The tech needs to do a little research.
Although the Battery Tender is known as a maintenance charger, this is not the case if hooked to a Lithium battery. Because of the voltage differences found in a Lithium battery pack, the charger may not enter "float" or "maintenance" mode. Rather than simply keeping the battery at a proper float level, it may stay in boost mode for long periods. There is then the risk of overcharging the battery, one of the many causes of early battery failure.

Although the Battery Tender is known as a maintenance charger, this is not the case if hooked to a Lithium battery. Because of the voltage differences found in a Lithium battery pack, the charger may not enter "float" or "maintenance" mode. Rather than simply keeping the battery at a proper float level, it may stay in boost mode for long periods. There is then the risk of overcharging the battery, one of the many causes of early battery failure.

And battery fires!

Many chargers have setting for lithium or agv batts. My Noco genius 1 has both options.

Many chargers have setting for lithium or agv batts. My Noco genius 1 has both options.

I have to second that the best charger line I've found is the Genius series from NOCO. I've had two so far and they have been great at maintaining my Odyssey batteries, some of which are now ten years old and still road worthy.

Balderdash

Truth

I have to second that the best charger line I've found is the Genius series from NOCO. I've had two so far and they have been great at maintaining my Odyssey batteries, some of which are now ten years old and still road worthy.

I have a lithium battery in my '10 S1000RR that's been in the bike since 2013. It came with it's own special charger that attaches through a port on top (not the posts). I don't ride it as often as I used to, but the battery keeps its charge extremely well, and I attach the charger maybe twice a year just to make sure its OK, and takes only a few minutes to give me the green light. Bike starts every time.

I agree with Brownie and Greg. NOCO makes great battery chargers. I have a Genius 10 which I use on my 12-volt RV and 6-volt golf cart batteries to raise them from the dead as they sit in the hot Southwest for 6-9 months without use and their voltage drops below 3-volts regularly. However, I don't use it on my motorcycle batteries for a couple of reasons: 1) Its 10 Amps is too strong to use on small motorcycle batteries no matter what type batteries they are. 2) The lithium battery on the S1000RR has it's own charger and even NOCO warns in its owners manual to NOT use it unless the lithium battery has its own Battery Management System. Since my lithium battery has its own external battery management system I don't feel hooking up any other system to the posts would be safe for the battery. It's clearly written in the NOCO manual below :)dunno).

Using 12V Lithium.
12V Lithium charge mode is designed for 12-volt lithium-ion batteries only, including lithium iron phosphate.
CAUTION. USE THIS MODE WITH EXTREME CARE. THIS MODE SHOULD ONLY BE USED WITH 12-VOLT LITHIUM BATTERIES THAT HAVE A BUILT-IN BATTERY MANAGEMENT
SYSTEM (BMS). LITHIUM-ION BATTERIES ARE MADE AND CONSTRUCTED IN DIFFERENT WAYS AND SOME MAY OR MAY NOT CONTAIN A BATTERY MANAGEMENT SYSTEM
(BMS). CONSULT THE LITHIUM BATTERY MANUFACTURER BEFORE CHARGING AND ASK FOR RECOMMENDED CHARGING RATES AND VOLTAGES. SOME LITHIUM-ION BATTERIES
MAY BE UNSTABLE AND UNSUITABLE FOR CHARGING.

No way a simplistic Battery Tender can properly and safely charge AND BALANCE the cells in a lithium battery unless the BMS is internal and connected to the posts, and that's where potential dangers can occur.

Using 12V Lithium.
12V Lithium charge mode is designed for 12-volt lithium-ion batteries only, including lithium iron phosphate.
CAUTION. USE THIS MODE WITH EXTREME CARE. THIS MODE SHOULD ONLY BE USED WITH 12-VOLT LITHIUM BATTERIES THAT HAVE A BUILT-IN BATTERY MANAGEMENT
SYSTEM (BMS). LITHIUM-ION BATTERIES ARE MADE AND CONSTRUCTED IN DIFFERENT WAYS AND SOME MAY OR MAY NOT CONTAIN A BATTERY MANAGEMENT SYSTEM
(BMS). CONSULT THE LITHIUM BATTERY MANUFACTURER BEFORE CHARGING AND ASK FOR RECOMMENDED CHARGING RATES AND VOLTAGES. SOME LITHIUM-ION BATTERIES
MAY BE UNSTABLE AND UNSUITABLE FOR CHARGING.

No way a simplistic Battery Tender can properly and safely charge AND BALANCE the cells in a lithium battery unless the BMS is internal and connected to the posts, and that's where potential dangers can occur.

Which is why I see absolutely no reason to use a lithium battery in anything larger than my laptop computer. Sure, they are smaller and lighter than a good VRLA (AGM or Gell) battery. So what? The weight difference might matter for a GP race bike but otherwise ......? They are markedly more expensive than the best VRLA batteries. I have seen no data intensive studies as to predicted battery life. I have read anecdotes announcing lifespans from 6 months to 10 years (Were they even around for motorcycles 10 years ago? My how time flies.) But I see those same anecdotes about AGM and even wet cell batteries too. Oh, and spontaneous fires are very rare for VRLA batteries and the same cannot be said for Lithium Ion batteries. Just ask any airline.

Which is why I see absolutely no reason to use a lithium battery in anything larger than my laptop computer. Sure, they are smaller and lighter than a good VRLA (AGM or Gell) battery. So what? The weight difference might matter for a GP race bike but otherwise ......? They are markedly more expensive than the best VRLA batteries. I have seen no data intensive studies as to predicted battery life. I have read anecdotes announcing lifespans from 6 months to 10 years (Were they even around for motorcycles 10 years ago? My how time flies.) But I see those same anecdotes about AGM and even wet cell batteries too. Oh, and spontaneous fires are very rare for VRLA batteries and the same cannot be said for Lithium Ion batteries. Just ask any airline.

I am totally with you Paul. Unless you are building a super light performance bike where every pound counts, I don't see the point of the additional expense and risks of lithium batteries. I've seen reports of lion batter fires and they are not nice. When I can get a typical 10 years from an AGM battery for $130.00 I'm good. :)

I am totally with you Paul. Unless you are building a super light performance bike where every pound counts, I don't see the point of the additional expense and risks of lithium batteries. I've seen reports of lion batter fires and they are not nice. When I can get a typical 10 years from an AGM battery for $130.00 I'm good. :)

And pretty lucky there big guy! :groovy
OM

Not to mention the motors don't come from the motherland with Lithium batts. Original OEM would dictate AGM batts as replacements.

Not to mention the motors don't come from the motherland with Lithium batts. Original OEM would dictate AGM batts as replacements.

Lee beat me to it. Sure, this is the Wethead section of the MOA forum and I'd expect the kind of statements above here, but you'd be wrong if you were buying a brand new S1000RR or M1000RR from BMW. Different strokes for different folks.

AND, if you have any interest in electric vehicles at all, you can bet your bottom dollar they aren't coming with AGM or old lead acid batteries either. Technology marches on and gets better all the time.

AND, if you have any interest in electric vehicles at all, you can bet your bottom dollar they aren't coming with AGM or old lead acid batteries either. Technology marches on and gets better all the time.

Of course. But I don't need one to start my K75 or G310GS.

Lithium batteries is a option on the S1000RR and S1000R.

Buying one off the showroom floor, IYO, which battery would likely be in either model if Lith is an option. Sounds as if they don't come with lith as a rule if it's an option where rainman basically states that's the batt that comes on those models.

Well said. Most motorcycle charging systems are NOT optimized for LI batteries...so all the questions about maintenance chargers apply to motorcycle charging. Yes many have gotten by ok mainly due luck and the internal to battery protection circuits. But some have failed spectacularly!

LI has a huge advantage of much higher energy storage density ...but it is a different beast to live with and care for. It is MUCH more prone to exothermal events (fires).

Done get caught up in a fad unless you are prepared to make the necessary changes and / or take the risks.

Anybody remember their parents or grandparents unplugging appliances before leaving the house?
Charging has become a bit more complicated.
OM

Eight years.

Maybe consider a new charger for peace of mind, seeing you’ve got your moneys worth. Or send the manufacturer an email with your question.

My newest charger is 15 years old, and the oldest is close to 40 years old. I still use both. Why replace them if they still function properly. Battery chargers typically just quit, they don't explode like in the movies and level your garage.

Back