• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'89 and '95 R100RT disc brake rotors (and EBC replacements)

Scarletswirl

My recently rebuilt '89 R100RT (42K miles) shows symptoms of uneven or warped dic rotors. Checked thickness with micrometer. Above 4 mm, but uneven. To compare, I checked my '95, with 20K original miles. 3.88 mm, but very uniform. Just as a reference, Haynes says the spec is 4 mm. I can't believe 20K miles is enough to wear out brake disc rotors, and it doesn't make sense that the '89, with double the miles has thicker rotors. Is anyone aware of any switch in the rotor thickness through the model years?

By the way, Snowbum says manufacturers tend to be too conservative with thickness specs and slightly undersized rotors should not be a problem. The '95 bike brakes fine, so I'm not overly concerned, just curious.

Second question, more important. Since the original rotors are near unobtainable and expensive, I went with EBC Pro Lite for the replacement and they just came in. Checked thickness, very uniform, but 5 mm instead of 4. Has anyone tried them? Does the added thickness cause problems, i.e. will it even fit in between the pads? I double checked and they are the right part numbers, but as I remember, the original ones were a tight squeeze already. Snowbum shows an EBC based conversion, but it doesn't use the original calipers, so the effect of the extra thickness is not discussed in the article.

Thanks to all,
Marc

For what it's worth, I found my answers

Today I removed the old rotors from the '89. On the hub side that faces the wheel (invisible until you disassemble it) it says "Min .14 in". 0.14 inches is about 3.5 mm, so Clymer's 4 mm value is inaccurate and at 3.88 mm, my '95 is in spec. One problem solved.

As far as fitting a 5 mm thick rotor where a 4 mm rotor used to be, the jury is still out, but I managed to spread both calipers enough to fit a 6 mm (nominal) piece of plywood in there, with some persuasion. The pads are near-new, so new pads shouldn't make a big difference. The actual thickness of the wood is more like 5.8 mm, and even allowing for some compression it will still be 5 point something. And as long as it's more than 5, it SHOULD work.

I'll post again with the final verdict.

Marc

My recently rebuilt '89 R100RT (42K miles) shows symptoms of uneven or warped dic rotors. Checked thickness with micrometer. Above 4 mm, but uneven. To compare, I checked my '95, with 20K original miles. 3.88 mm, but very uniform. Just as a reference, Haynes says the spec is 4 mm. I can't believe 20K miles is enough to wear out brake disc rotors, and it doesn't make sense that the '89, with double the miles has thicker rotors. Is anyone aware of any switch in the rotor thickness through the model years?

By the way, Snowbum says manufacturers tend to be too conservative with thickness specs and slightly undersized rotors should not be a problem. The '95 bike brakes fine, so I'm not overly concerned, just curious.

Second question, more important. Since the original rotors are near unobtainable and expensive, I went with EBC Pro Lite for the replacement and they just came in. Checked thickness, very uniform, but 5 mm instead of 4. Has anyone tried them? Does the added thickness cause problems, i.e. will it even fit in between the pads? I double checked and they are the right part numbers, but as I remember, the original ones were a tight squeeze already. Snowbum shows an EBC based conversion, but it doesn't use the original calipers, so the effect of the extra thickness is not discussed in the article.

Thanks to all,
Marc

I went with EBC Pro-Lite rotors when the originals on my '93 R100RT warped. They worked fine and my only complaint was that some of the hardware wasn't plated to resist rust. I think it was the floating clips but I don't have the bike anymore to confirm.

Back