• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Where can I get an inexpensive fuel filter ?

xcaret

I was looking over my 1991 K75 RT today and after chaining oil, decided I should see about getting a fuel filter . The local BMW bike shop here in Calgary shows one for $56.95 . it looks just like ones I use on my old carburetored vehicles . What does everyone on here use ?

Your carburated fuel filter is rated for about 10 psi and could rupture on a fuel injected engine. Fuel injection filters are rated for over 100psi. Your bike runs on about 40 psi, but your pump puts out over 100 psi. If anything goes momentarily wrong, your filter will be subjected to 100 psi. and burst.

Properly rated less expensive filters can be purchased from euromotoelectrics.com or beemerboneyard.com.

:dance:dance:dance

I’ve been using NAPA Gold 3032 fuel filters in my K100 for years without any incidents. Although the price has increased over the years, they are much less than the price you stated.

I’ve been using NAPA Gold 3032 fuel filters in my K100 for years without any incidents. Although the price has increased over the years, they are much less than the price you stated.

Be aware that that filter has a burst pressure of 60 psi. Any problem with the fuel pressure regulator or anything done during diagnosis of the fuel pressure that will bypass the regulator will exceed that pressure.A kink in the pressure return hose could also cause the filter to burst.

It has adequate burst strength to handle normal operation.:dunno

The Napa 3032 filter filters down to 20 micron. Factory specs are 10 micron.

The Mahle KL145 meets factory specs. Rated for 80psi and 10 micron. About $20 on Amazon This is the filter
Euromotoelectrics sells, I believe.

Last edited:
Be aware that that filter has a burst pressure of 60 psi. Any problem with the fuel pressure regulator or anything done during diagnosis of the fuel pressure that will bypass the regulator will exceed that pressure.A kink in the pressure return hose could also cause the filter to burst.

It has adequate burst strength to handle normal operation.:dunno

The Napa 3032 filter filters down to 20 micron. Factory specs are 10 micron.

The Mahle KL145 meets factory specs. Rated for 80psi and 10 micron. About $20 on Amazon This is the filter
Euromotoelectrics sells, I believe.

You are correct Lee, When I worked for Penske Racing Wix Filters was one of our sponsors. Wix filters makes the NAPA filters. I asked the Wix rep one day what he thought about people using the 3032 filter on fuel injected engines. He was surprised people would do that. It is a crimped filter designed for low pressure applications with a carburetor. I look at it this way I change my fuel filter & the two hoses every four years regardless of the miles. That works out to about $30 a year or $2.50 a month. I change the hoses every four years because of the Ethanol fuel.

Saddleman Dave - I believe that Wix rep was incorrect; while the 33032 allows particles 10 microns larger than a factory filter (20 microns = 0.00079 inch), it is indeed injection-rated, with a 60-pound burst pressure. It is used as a universal replacement for many cars and trucks.

fuelfilter for K75

Thanks for all the great advise . I just odered 2 Makle 145 filters from amazon .ca $22 canadian each .

Saddleman Dave - I believe that Wix rep was incorrect; while the 33032 allows particles 10 microns larger than a factory filter (20 microns = 0.00079 inch), it is indeed injection-rated, with a 60-pound burst pressure. It is used as a universal replacement for many cars and trucks.

Burst pressure is 60 PSI, not working pressure. Working pressure should be less that half, perhaps a third of burst. If your fuel injection pressure is 20-30 PSI it is probably ok, but most fuel injection pressures I see run in the 50-60 PSI, over what that filter is rated for.

I will admit I don't know what pressure the fuel injection pressure is on the OP's ride and unless he knows I would avoid the Wix 33032.

https://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=56820

K75 pumps put out near 100psi. It is regulated down to 38psi. If the return hose from the regulator gets kinked (very easy to do when reinstalling the tank or if you do not use the $40 molded hose for the return hose) the pressure can skyrocket, well above the operating pressure.

Even at 38 PSI and the filter having a burst at 60 PSI I wouldn't be comfortable using that filter. I would be looking for one with a burst pressure around 100 PSI.

Back