Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Grab The Motorcycle Keys or the Car Keys

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    All good rules, but add: Nothing that is breathing......
    Greg Feeler
    Ambassador & 2022 BMW MOA Rally Co-Chair
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

Town is 53 miles away on a 75mph speed limit highway so ATTGATT rules the day. And the ride is certainly long enough to warrant gearing-up. But I hate plodding around in riding gear. So if it is a trip with many stops - grocery store, hardware store, pharmacy, lunch, dollar store, etc there are two issues. One is the wandering around in gear and the other is space on the bikes to put stuff. So if I need to run to the hardware store to get a few parts taking the bike is fun. But if it a once or twice a month grocery resupply trip the car wins every time.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Town is 53 miles away on a 75mph speed limit highway so ATTGATT rules the day. And the ride is certainly long enough to warrant gearing-up. But I hate plodding around in riding gear. So if it is a trip with many stops - grocery store, hardware store, pharmacy, lunch, dollar store, etc there are two issues. One is the wandering around in gear and the other is space on the bikes to put stuff. So if I need to run to the hardware store to get a few parts taking the bike is fun. But if it a once or twice a month grocery resupply trip the car wins every time.
    Plus the 12volt- 40 quart freezer strapped to the back amplifies the cross-winds.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post
    Cruising around town at lower speeds etc I will dress down a bit. Gloves and eye protection 100% of the time and helmets are the law. The thought of a small low speed getoff doesn't worry me.
    This was me, until I had a <2mph FDGB and shattered my pelvis in 3 places. 3 mos in a wheelchair was no fun! I believe armored pants would have made this a 'bruise and bounce" incident. The four months w/o riding did give me enough time to track down replacement tupperware and turn signals that were also damaged.
    J Goertz
    BMW MOAL
    2015 BMW R1200RT
    2012 Triumph Bonneville SE

Quote Originally Posted by GREGFEELER View Post
    I don't like to start a bike unless I can get it fully wormed up which depending on the weather I figure is 10 to 20 miles, or twenty minutes (allowing for traffic idling). Those parameters seem to long enough in time to make gearing up (and putting away) "worth it".
    Although I didnít mention this, I also believe this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgoertz View Post
    This was me, until I had a <2mph FDGB and shattered my pelvis in 3 places. 3 mos in a wheelchair was no fun! I believe armored pants would have made this a 'bruise and bounce" incident. The four months w/o riding did give me enough time to track down replacement tupperware and turn signals that were also damaged.
    Itís probably been a while, but sorry to hear about this. Glad youíre OK now. The only time I do not fully gear up is when Iím working on the bike and I need to take the bike out to warm it up or a quick test ride for another reason. But, these are few and far between.

Anyway, Iíve enjoyed reading everyoneís thoughts and comments. I see that many riders have the same concerns as I do, and there's the balancing of getting the bike and oneself ready to ride and the length of the ride.
    Jeff in W.C.
    1988 R100 RT (the other woman)
    "I got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer

This is a not quandary for me. Bike when possible.

I generally go AGATT. With my Aerostich Roadcrafter 2-piece which zips together and is on in 15 seconds I can be off almost as fast as I can be in the car. I use my GS as a packhorse; filling the panniers at the grocery store, running a package to the post office, or carrying 60 pounds of dog food. If things get much bigger than that I am on four wheels.

In the summer riding around Spartanburg SC in 90 degree temps and 80 percent humidity it just gets HOT in this outfit. On the move it is not so bad but at long holding stoplights it is a sweat bath. On those days I will often swap out for my Hi-Vis TourMaster Sonora vented jacket and jeans, with the mandatory (at least to me) helmet, gloves and boots. This outfit is a bit less cumbersome in the stores than the Aerostich, but while riding I am aware that I am more vulnerable too. If I leave the city limits the Aerostich is on, and now that the temps have dropped it is the go to outfit until next summer.

It is also fun wearing the gear (minus the helmet) into the stores and watching the reactions. Mostly positive looks, sometimes a little one asking "Are you a Power Ranger?", sometimes an old guy asking what I ride and reminiscing about when he used to ride, and others who can't believe that this white bearded guy (me) is still riding a motorcycle! It also reminds people that motorcyclists are part of the community and hopefully they will notice the motorcycles on the road. Good PR can't hurt.
    Last edited by DaveSlash5; 10-21-2021 at 04:35 AM.