Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Grab The Motorcycle Keys or the Car Keys

Grab The Motorcycle Keys or the Car Keys

I'd love to take the bike to run errands, go to work/office, etc. However, most of these trips are less than 10 minutes away. I'm pretty much an ATGATT rider. Consequently, I have trouble rationalizing spending 5-10 minutes to gear up for a 10 minute ride, then another 5-10 minutes putting all the gear away. I'm curious. Where's the break point for others with regards to grabbing the motorcycle keys vs the car keys.

For me, I think it would be about 15-20 minutes.
    Jeff in W.C.
    1988 R100 RT (the other woman)
    "I got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer

Time makes no difference to me, but I am a helmet, jacket, gloves, jeans and boots rider. All my gear is handy and puts away in a minute or two.

Convenience, where I an going, what I am picking up and the weather dictates 2 or 4 wheels.
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

RK Ryder
    I'm also a ATGATT rider. As you stated the time gearing up and then riding in my city of notoriously bad drivers almost always prompts me to leave the bikes at home for errands. The car constantly wins.

Our local club meets monthly at a restaurant less than a ten minute ride from my house. I take the car for these gatherings since the bikes hardly get up to operating temperature. Of course for two other clubs whose breakfasts are each a couple of hours away, the bikes win every time.
    Paul F. Ruffell
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Knights of the Roundel #333

For errands I'm MOTGATT..."most of the gear". Traffic is a non-issue for local so I'll throw on helmet, gloves, armoured jacket and my BMW riding sneakers (zip up- easy peazey). I'm also usually using my Himalayan (Royal Enfield) thumper- 411cc. Side cases fit any Hardware store , auto part or supermarket pick-up. Still a minor pain, but firing up a big engine, or even a 1200cc bike for under a mile or two often gives me the patience to dress for a quick ride.

Re gear- I have a huge pair of sullivan gloves so I'm not squirming into my usual riding gloves, I'm willing to take the calculated risk of no armour on the pants and the BMW sneakers seem adequate and are comfy enough to leave on anyway. I also don't wear hearing for these local jaunts.

I live in a little town of under 1000 so when I wander downtown to get something small I'm usually BJ&T. That's blue jeans and teeshirt. And it's usually on the wife's Zuma 125. I'm willing to assume the risk, but if I'm leaving town I'm geared up. And on a bigger machine obviously.

Over the past two years I have begun opting for the motorcycle. As an ATGATT rider I think the two things I consider most in choosing to ride an errand (short trip) is 1-Is it reasonable to wear gear in the destination and 2-Weather. I am less likely to gear up for a quick run to the store in 90 than 60. Work/Office attire is business casual which is easily worn under gear. The commute is in the 30-40 minute range so once again, I am more concerned about weather in that situation.
    1972 R75/5
    1993 R100R

Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
    Time makes no difference to me, but I am a helmet, jacket, gloves, jeans and boots rider. All my gear is handy and puts away in a minute or two.

Convenience, where I an going, what I am picking up and the weather dictates 2 or 4 wheels.
    This is me as well. The only thing that really dictates armor pants or over pants is the weather/temp. For foot protection, I wear Vans MTEs most of the time. If its a long ride I thrown on my Alpinestars ride sneakers. Even though the VANs are great for weather and comfort, I'm looking for that perfect pair of ride boots for better ankle protection. I just recently went from a K1600GT to a R18TC.

Cruising around town at lower speeds etc I will dress down a bit. Gloves and eye protection 100% of the time and helmets are the law. The thought of a small low speed getoff doesn't worry me.
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon 7frrnSRiTt9Fk

I don't like to start a bike unless I can get it fully wormed up which depending on the weather I figure is 10 to 20 miles, or twenty minutes (allowing for traffic idling). Those parameters seem to long enough in time to make gearing up (and putting away) "worth it".
    Greg Feeler
    Ambassador & 2022 BMW MOA Rally Co-Chair
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I live in a little town of under 1000 so when I wander downtown to get something small I'm usually BJ&T. That's blue jeans and teeshirt. And it's usually on the wife's Zuma 125. I'm willing to assume the risk, but if I'm leaving town I'm geared up. And on a bigger machine obviously.
    Quote Originally Posted by GREGFEELER View Post
    I don't like to start a bike unless I can get it fully wormed up which depending on the weather I figure is 10 to 20 miles, or twenty minutes (allowing for traffic idling). Those parameters seem to long enough in time to make gearing up (and putting away) "worth it".
    I like both these concepts especially when it takes more time to get the bike out and get ready than the actual ride.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    I like both these concepts especially when it takes more time to get the bike out and get ready than the actual ride.
    OM
    Greg Feeler

It is 14 miles to town for us. Half that distance is on a 70 MPH hwy and the other half is either on an 80 MPH I-State or 60 MPH Hwy; warming up the bikes is not an issue. I found running several errands on a bike to be cumbersome and often not worth the effort, but the Urals changed that. Now we can enjoy the ride, have hauling space and have space to stow or gear.
    Kevin Huddy
    Silver City, Montana
    MOA# 24,790 Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    It is 14 miles to town for us. Half that distance is on a 70 MPH hwy and the other half is either on an 80 MPH I-State or 60 MPH Hwy; warming up the bikes is not an issue. I found running several errands on a bike to be cumbersome and often not worth the effort, but the Urals changed that. Now we can enjoy the ride, have hauling space and have space to stow or gear.
    My definition of bike compatible errands are things for which I typically do not have to remove my helmet, don't involve any object larger then saddle bag size, and take 5 minutes or less off the bike.
    Greg Feeler

Quote Originally Posted by GREGFEELER View Post
    My definition of bike compatible errands are things for which I typically do not have to remove my helmet, don't involve any object larger then saddle bag size, and take 5 minutes or less off the bike.
    All good rules, but add: Nothing that is breathing......
    Kevin Huddy
    Silver City, Montana
    MOA# 24,790 Ambassador

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    I always take my truck. Just not worth the risk for such little reward.