• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1996 R1100R Fuel pump

grumpygnome

I have replaced the fuel pump (and filter) from the Beemerboneyard.
At first I was worried that a new pump is noticeably louder. Today, after refueling (so, I've used about 3 gal on the new pump) it was not only whining, but outright rattling.
What did I mess up? Is it the part, or something else?

Thanks

One thing to be careful of when installing is making sure that the fuel pump plate is oriented the right way. It's very possible to mount the plate so that it's angled upwards 60 degrees from where it's supposed to be, which puts the fuel pump inlet above the fuel level on anything but a full tank.

I made this mistake myself the first time I replaced my pump -- it's actually easier to install the pump the wrong way in my fuel tank (which is identical to yours) than it is to install it correctly. You have to fiddle a lot to squeeze the fuel pump and the float into the correct position. When I made this mistake on my bike the fuel pump made a horrendous noise all the time and my fuel light didn't work properly. It was half on all the time.

That pump I installed incorrectly only lasted 50 miles, so you may want to double-check that the plate is in the correct position before you start the bike again.

Seeking help with fuel pump

Did you replace the vibration damper?

View attachment 85587

After trying to see if there's a way to check the fuel pump, I noticed the vibration damper is crumbling and falling apart. It was probably due to the fact this bike sat for 6 years with about a half full amount of gas that was ruining everything it touched.

Can this be replaced and how hard is the job to do it?

Also, is the strainer supposed to come off? I can't get it off and I stopped before ruining it.

Is there a way to check the operation of the pump?

Thanks for your help.

After trying to see if there's a way to check the fuel pump, I noticed the vibration damper is crumbling and falling apart. It was probably due to the fact this bike sat for 6 years with about a half full amount of gas that was ruining everything it touched.

Can this be replaced and how hard is the job to do it?

Also, is the strainer supposed to come off? I can't get it off and I stopped before ruining it.

Is there a way to check the operation of the pump?

Thanks for your help.

Yes, the vibration damper is easily replaced - once you remove the gas tank and take out the fuel pump plate - ugh. It just presses on the end of the pump. You have to remove the filter sock.

The strainer/sock is press fit on the end of the pump. Careful placement of a screwdriver tip should let you push the strainer off. Put the damper on, put the pump back into the holder and press the strainer back on.

You say that you have driven through 3 gallons of gas, and the bike is running, so the pump is working. A pressure gauge on the fuel line - in a T fixture - should show about 43 PSI.

Yes, the vibration damper is easily replaced - once you remove the gas tank and take out the fuel pump plate - ugh. It just presses on the end of the pump. You have to remove the filter sock.

The strainer/sock is press fit on the end of the pump. Careful placement of a screwdriver tip should let you push the strainer off. Put the damper on, put the pump back into the holder and press the strainer back on.

You say that you have driven through 3 gallons of gas, and the bike is running, so the pump is working. A pressure gauge on the fuel line - in a T fixture - should show about 43 PSI.

No, no, no!! You must have misread my question. I just purchased this non-running bike. I have not driven it at all.

It had sat for 6 years with about a half full tank of gas that I think has ruined the damper causing it to crumble.

When I turn on the key, I don't hear the pump doing the priming. Also, I have the tank off and the fuel pump plate is out of the tank.

Thanks,

Larry

No, no, no!! You must have misread my question. I just purchased this non-running bike. I have not driven it at all.

It had sat for 6 years with about a half full tank of gas that I think has ruined the damper causing it to crumble.

When I turn on the key, I don't hear the pump doing the priming. Also, I have the tank off and the fuel pump plate is out of the tank.

Thanks,

Larry

Aha! Larry, I went to the top of the post and.... you aren't the original poster for this thread. Bad practice, confusion for people who go back later to read posts for answers. You hijacked this post, should have started a new one for yourself.

After six years sitting in stale gasoline, throw the pump in the trash and put in a new fuel pump.

sorry

did not mean to hijack a posting, just thought since the subject had already been discussed, further discussion would be permissible. I'll start a new thread.

did not mean to hijack a posting, just thought since the subject had already been discussed, further discussion would be permissible. I'll start a new thread.

I didn’t intend to sound harsh, I hope it didn’t come through like that.

When you look at the original post and then yours, you’ll see that the issues that each of you have is different. That’s why another post should be started.

Back