• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW Recalls GS Accessory Footpegs

Replaced... and unreplaced...

I asked my dealer if mine could be replaced under the recall, despite not having seen any issues (with my luck, I'd be in the middle of the dessert if they break!). They said sure. Took a couple weeks to get the replacement pegs in, and I had them swapped about weeks ago. Got a call yesterday that BMW is refusing to cover them unless either: a) the bike is still under it's 3-year warranty (it's 6 months out), or b) the pegs are still under their 2-year warranty (nope, installed 3.5 years ago when bike was new). Seems like an odd recall to me, and yes the dealership should have known... but it's tiny dealership in my home town, been around for decades, and they've always done right by me. They are asking me to come back and swap back. I'll do so, and hope for the best. Probably keep the original skinny pegs in the bottom of one of my bags when off-road or touring.

Just a heads up...

*update: they've actually told me to leave them on the bike, as they do a bit more push back on BMW...*

Last edited:
I asked my dealer if mine could be replaced under the recall, despite not having seen any issues (with my luck, I'd be in the middle of the dessert if they break!). They said sure. Took a couple weeks to get the replacement pegs in, and I had them swapped about weeks ago. Got a call yesterday that BMW is refusing to cover them unless either: a) the bike is still under it's 3-year warranty (it's 6 months out), or b) the pegs are still under their 2-year warranty (nope, installed 3.5 years ago when bike was new). Seems like an odd recall to me, and yes the dealership should have known... but it's tiny dealership in my home town, been around for decades, and they've always done right by me. They are asking me to come back and swap back. I'll do so, and hope for the best. Probably keep the original skinny pegs in the bottom of one of my bags when off-road or touring.

Just a heads up...

Sure they are doing right by you now? Wanting you take back defective parts seems a tad one sided. I’d ask them what the BMW Rep had to say on this. Given the number of “good will” accommodations BMW has been know for, this situation sounds like an excellent candidate for one more.

Just a heads up...

Welcome to the forum!

Great, helpful first post.

Gary

I had mine (2019 GS 1250) inspected by the dealer back in November when the front calipers were replaced. No visible cracks were found. Dealer was aware of the issue, and told me there isn't currently a BMW replacement part. They could refund my purchase and install the original pegs that came with the bike or I could wait for the "new improved" replacement pegs.

I had mine (2019 GS 1250) inspected by the dealer back in November when the front calipers were replaced. No visible cracks were found. Dealer was aware of the issue, and told me there isn't currently a BMW replacement part. They could refund my purchase and install the original pegs that came with the bike or I could wait for the "new improved" replacement pegs.

Go aftermarket, go! This can't be that difficult. It is a foot peg, not a piston!

Just wondering ... has anyone actually had or known of some who had the pegs crack? Just wondering. I have not.

Mine have cracked

My right side peg has cracked in 3 out of 4 areas that they are known to fail, my left side has 2 cracks, I weight about 160 and have put about 10,000 miles on the pegs.
I love the pegs, I was able to gain 3/4 of a inch in leg room and the rubber portion cancels vibrations, then when you stand up the rubber portion sinks down to where your
boots contact the serrated teeth. My nearest dealer ordered replacements but I'm not sure what I'll get and they want the bike for at least 4 hours so until I get a break in
the weather I won't know how it goes. As far as just going aftermarket, again I love the function of the pegs plus for those of use who did purchased them we would be out of
some real money as they were not cheap.

IMG_0992.jpg

My right side peg has cracked in 3 out of 4 areas that they are known to fail, my left side has 2 cracks, I weight about 160 and have put about 10,000 miles on the pegs.
I love the pegs, I was able to gain 3/4 of a inch in leg room and the rubber portion cancels vibrations, then when you stand up the rubber portion sinks down to where your
boots contact the serrated teeth. My nearest dealer ordered replacements but I'm not sure what I'll get and they want the bike for at least 4 hours so until I get a break in
the weather I won't know how it goes. As far as just going aftermarket, again I love the function of the pegs plus for those of use who did purchased them we would be out of
some real money as they were not cheap.

View attachment 86193

Hey .... thanks or sharing. That does look pretty scary! I have the Titanium color pegs which so far are not part of the recall but I now know where to watch for cracks.

Yes, for some reason it seems to be the black ones that have issues.

Unless I am mistaken the black ones were powder coated, and baked at some unknown possibly improper temperature, damaging the metal in some way. I would welcome a confirming or denying opinion from a real metallurgist. I am not one.

Hi Guys

I ordered a set of these in early November when BMW was offering some discount by the end of the year. I ordered the black ones mainly to match the triple black on the ‘22 1250GS. I then heard about the recall. The parts never showed up at the dealer and they are not getting info from BMW on the lead time for the new versions. Anyone have any insight on the replacement stock?

OK, just got back from the dealer. New pegs installed, silver in color, two positions instead of three, lower of the two positions is higher than the the original low.
Will need to raise brake and shift levers. All done at no cost to me.

GS Accessory Foot Pegs cracked

This is late to the Post but just experienced this Footrest problem first hand.

I approached my Dealer and showed him the cracked pegs, he had no clue and refused to do anything except tell me there was no recall on my VIN. After numerous calls to BMW Motorrad I finally talked to someone in customer service that knew the situation on these Accessory Pegs that were cracking. They told me it was not associated with the warranty (mine had just expired) and any Dealer would replace them. I was told it is NOT a recall and thus not associated with any particular VIN. It is a 'Service Bulletin' issued 9-15-21. The 'SERVICE BULLETIN' number is 46-05-21. I informed my Dealer and gave him the SERVICE BULLETIN Number. After much haggle they finally agreed to make the replacement. They haven't come in yet (been about 1 week) and was told about two weeks. Supposed to be upgraded material in the peg to provide more strength according to BMW Motorrad.

This is late to the Post but just experienced this Footrest problem first hand.

I approached my Dealer and showed him the cracked pegs, he had no clue and refused to do anything except tell me there was no recall on my VIN. After numerous calls to BMW Motorrad I finally talked to someone in customer service that knew the situation on these Accessory Pegs that were cracking. They told me it was not associated with the warranty (mine had just expired) and any Dealer would replace them. I was told it is NOT a recall and thus not associated with any particular VIN. It is a 'Service Bulletin' issued 9-15-21. The 'SERVICE BULLETIN' number is 46-05-21. I informed my Dealer and gave him the SERVICE BULLETIN Number. After much haggle they finally agreed to make the replacement. They haven't come in yet (been about 1 week) and was told about two weeks. Supposed to be upgraded material in the peg to provide more strength according to BMW Motorrad.

My dealer was aware and the parts manager informed me that my aftermarket pegs were not included since mine were the titanium color and only the black pegs were affected. I’ve been keeping an eye on mine just in case. But makes sense that it’s not related to a VIN since I believe there were bought as an aftermarket accessory as mine were.

Glad you persisted and got them replaced. Funny how sometimes we the riding public know more than the folks you’d think should know. In most cases when that happens my dealer listens and investigates what I told him I’ve heard. Our dealer here has been a great partner.

Which dealership "has no clue"?

I'd like to know that as well. That's a dealership I'd like to avoid.
It's far too easy for dealers/service reps to look up service bulletins and warranty issues.
If service reps are that lazy and don't want to even look for a bulletin - I can only imagine the level of service from that dealership.

Back