• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2017 RT Spline Lube

bullet

aka Johnny Hammerlane
Good afternoon everyone. I hope you're all still enjoying this riding season, as much as possible.
So I got new tires and brake pads and thought I might as well lube the rear spline.
On my last bike, a 2010 RT, it was easy enough.
With the '17 RT, not so much.
I'm at the point where I'm dropping the final drive unit to expose the spline and separate it from the drive shaft.
The front of the rubber boot came off easily enough from the swing arm but won't come free from the FD unit.
Plus when I lower the FD unit it pulls the drive shaft rearward. I can't proceed any further.
Any tips?

Got It !!!

It took a bit of creativity involving various lengths of wood to use as a prop for the FD unit and
very careful use of a ratchet extension and a hammer.
It being it's first lube, I thought the problem might just be some light corrosion causing the parts to bind.
With the drive shaft partially exposed I got the extension in there and gave it a few light taps with the hammer.
When the shaft moved forward I knew I was on to something.
Tap, tap, lower, tap, tap, lower until the FD unit separated from the drive shaft
Sure enough!
Now, about that rubber boot. I'd like to remove and clean it before putting it all back together.

Attachments

• IMG_4251.jpg
    IMG_4251.jpg
    305.8 KB · Views: 140
You can start at the 15:45 point and watch it to the end, then is carries over to Part 3 for the fill.

https://youtu.be/c1_1gPRA274?t=946

R1200RTW%2012k%3A20Km%20Scheduled%20Maintenance1-S.jpg

Back