• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

handlebar risers

jimbem

I don't like the looks of the after market risers for the wethead rt. To me they look like leaf spring shackles. And I don't want to raise my bars that much.
I am buying a triple black rt next may and am starting to collect parts to make the bike fit me. There's a good chance this will be the last brand new bike I ever buy so I don't mind spending some extra $$$. I know a die mold machinist who is going to make my bars 3/4" higher. Can someone tell us what the steel sleeve inside the aluminum bar risers are for ? Knowing that the shaft holding the controls is press fit into that sleeve in the aluminum bars it's there to keep the shaft from spinning. Is that correct or is there another reason ?

There's one thread in the Similar Threads pane below for Wetheads. Maybe there is some info on there?

Check with your dealer, but I think the newest RTs have an option for tubular handle bars, which should open up more options for different bars and risers. About $225 , I think.

"leaf spring shackles" Now I can't unsee that image. Yes- my Ilium Bar Backs do look exactly like that. The finish is an exact match with the handlebars and the rise is perfect for me. Maybe I'll tell people that I thought of using shackles for risers...ain't I clever. I also like the rational for $$$- "But honey, this is the last new bike I'm ever getting...again...this time, really"

…Can someone tell us what the steel sleeve inside the aluminum bar risers are for ?

I think it is a radial spacer to keep the risers from shifting after they are tightened. The bolt is smaller in diameter than the handlebar shaft it replaces. Without the sleeve, it would be a sloppy fit.

Good luck with designing your own risers. Please post pics. I have been frustrated with the spring shackles, because they have very limited adjustment for rearward and upward movement. The limits on travel are caused by interference between the brake (and clutch) reservoirs and the handlebar mounts. You’ll see when you start fiddling with it. I am interested to hear if you come up with a better solution.

Cap

The ends of the handlebars insert into the man handlebar. My assumption is the steel inserts add strength to the bars. Are they needed? Perhaps not, but depending on the material the replacement bars are made from. I wouldn't want to find out the wrong way that my new handlebars are not up to the task! It is not as simple as making a mold to cast a new handlebar. A bit of engineering and using the proper grade of aluminum is very important.

Personally I would just buy the Ilium risers and not worry about it. I have them on my 2018 RT and never give it a thought. Plus they gave me a couple places to attach RAM mounts.

the machinist and i are thinking BMW may have used the insert as a cost saving? One less machining operation to do on the bars (I think BMW calls them risers) He is planning to make the risers without the sleeve. If we find out a reason why we have to use the sleeves he says he can go back and machine them to fit the sleeve. He's doing this for me almost free so I can't rush him. When they are done I will post pics. In the mean time if someone knows for sure why BMW used the steel inserts please let me know. Thanks

Check with your dealer, but I think the newest RTs have an option for tubular handle bars, which should open up more options for different bars and risers. About $225 , I think.

Here's a photo from the BMW Motorrad website of the tubular handlebar option installed on an RT…

Screen Shot 2021-10-16 at 2.43.11 PM.png

Here's the description of that option:

Screen Shot 2021-10-16 at 2.44.10 PM.png

I don't like the looks of the after market risers for the wethead rt. To me they look like leaf spring shackles. And I don't want to raise my bars that much.
I am buying a triple black rt next may and am starting to collect parts to make the bike fit me. There's a good chance this will be the last brand new bike I ever buy so I don't mind spending some extra $$$. I know a die mold machinist who is going to make my bars 3/4" higher. Can someone tell us what the steel sleeve inside the aluminum bar risers are for ? Knowing that the shaft holding the controls is press fit into that sleeve in the aluminum bars it's there to keep the shaft from spinning. Is that correct or is there another reason ?

5-5-22:Hi Guys, last year I talked about having a set of Handlebars custom made for my new 2022 RT. They were finished acouple weeks ago and with help we finally got the pics downloaded. I still don't have the bike although it was unloaded at 4:45 monday from the ship Everlasting. When he made the long ways cut across the bar hole he could see there was no steel insert. The machinist who did the work ground down his welds very good but not perfect. So I brought the bars with me to Florida for the winter and had a body shop here use body filler to make them perfectly smooth. Then he painted them and clear coated them. So now I have bars 3/4" higher that look almost stock for a total cost of $225. $125 for used bars and $100 for the body work paint. The machinist did his work for free. He owns a big tool and die company that make plastic injection molding.
I am very anxious to get my triple black RT. I've bought most of my accessories already and made an appointment for my 600 mile service.

1a.jpg2a.jpg3a.jpg4a.jpg

I love what you did. No doubt this took a lot of time from start to finish.
Congratulations on a job well done!!
I would love to replicate this
Message sent
Joe

I was asking if you could possibly send me your pics. I would like to look at the details as the pics you posted won't enlarge.
If you're able and or willing to share please send to my web page in my signature page
Thanks in advance
Joe

Back