Thread: My 1991 K75 RT as a piece of nicely cut wood attached under the rear fender ??

My 1991 K75 RT as a piece of nicely cut wood attached under the rear fender ??

As I removed my owners manual from the compartment in the rear fender storage space I noticed a black box held up in place with a piece of wood . I'll attach a photo . I don't see any wood in the part of my repair manuals that shows the rear fender storage and brake/tailight . It's mounted very professionall done . 2021_1006_162455_001.JPG

That's part of the ABS "brain box", which was, at one time, held with some foam/rubber. I'm imaging the rubber/foam deteriorated and a previous owner prevented the box from bouncing around with his/her woodworking skills.
    Current: 2007 BMW R1200RT, 2013 F800GS
    Former: 1995 BMW K75S, 2009 BMW G650GS
    MOA Member #:150400, IBA#: 37558

3 Red Bricks
    Quote Originally Posted by drneo66 View Post
    That's part of the ABS "brain box", which was, at one time, held with some foam/rubber. I'm imaging the rubber/foam deteriorated and a previous owner prevented the box from bouncing around with his/her woodworking skills.
    Sounds like why the previous owner put it there. Foam would have provided more vibration dampening for the electronics inside.

A word of warning, the two screws that hold the bracket in place should never be replaced with longer screws, as longer screws will contact the abs computer and eat there way into the computer over the miles and kill it.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Quote Originally Posted by 98lee View Post
    Foam would have provided more vibration dampening for the electronics inside.
    Oddly, both pieces of foam are still available from BMW, part numbers:34 52 1 459 789 and 34 52 1 459 868. Looks like they are ~$21 total - with today's wood prices and the time it took to make the holder, that's a steal!

3 Red Bricks
    There is no overestimating the cheapness of a BMW owner.

Obviously scrap wood.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Thank you all for your helpfull replies . But I have 1 more question.

This is my first bike with ABS , I've riden since 1970, and wondering what the difference is . I think at times I'd want my wheels to lock up. I guess on wet roads I'd rather have the abs. I rode many miles in rain and never had my bike slide. I guess I'm kinda carefull.
    I read that if my ABS is faulty , it reverts to standard braking , which is ok with me . Has anyone become familiar with this ?

3 Red Bricks
    You are correct. If the ABS has a failure, you will still have standard braking. But a skidding tire does not stop as well as a tire at the limit of adhesion and is not as controlable.

ABS is valuable in emergency/panic situations (like when that deer jumps out in front of you) where your initial reaction is to grab all the brake you can and your brain hasn’t had time to think about modulating the brakes. It’s also valuable in low traction situations.

If it is not working correctly, there are many things that are fairly easily fixed. Others may cost a few hundred bucks to fix. But if you have ABS, you should look into making it work (as in everything else on a bike).

Last edited by 98lee; 10-16-2021 at 10:47 PM.
    LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Quote Originally Posted by xcaret View Post
    This is my first bike with ABS , I've riden since 1970, and wondering what the difference is . I think at times I'd want my wheels to lock up. I guess on wet roads I'd rather have the abs. I rode many miles in rain and never had my bike slide. I guess I'm kinda carefull.
    I read that if my ABS is faulty , it reverts to standard braking , which is ok with me . Has anyone become familiar with this ?
    It has saved my bacon at least twice, both times in wet, low traction environments.

The newer versions are even better, to the point that Lee makes, you can stop faster with ABS than not, even on gravel.

Last edited by drneo66; 10-17-2021 at 01:14 PM.

3 Red Bricks
    Do not make the decision to not to fix ABS before you KNOW what is wrong with it and what it will take to fix it. And I don’t mean taking it to the dealer. That could cost more than the bike is worth. Tell us the symptoms and do a few tests and we can help.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Thanks My ABS is working fne

I was asking why my brake light flashed 3 times before staying on . After speaking to the previous owner I found he had added a gadget to the brakelight plugin that caused that. I was wondering if that was the cause of my red dash lite with the triangle printed on it ,staying on,and flashing.
    Today, I removed it and no more brake light flashing. I don't know if that will cause my dash light to go out because I removed the 2 wheels today, and am getting new tires mounted. Tomorrow I'll go for a ride and see .
    Thanks for all the advise .

3 Red Bricks
    It sounds like you have a Kisan Tailblazer bulb. I have them on all my bikes. I would put it back on, if I were you. A lot of protection with no downside.

If bulb monitoring light goes out when you release the brakes, it's working properly for a Tailblazer.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare