Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Learn from my mistake plus Platinum Roadside Assistance experience

wanderer
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    A year ago I would have disagreed with this. But after our last interaction with Allstate RV Roadhelp I now agree with you.
    Yes..fully agree. The idea of calling the local police to recommend a towing service is a new thought for me and seems the most logical.

Quote Originally Posted by vtbob View Post
    Yes..fully agree. The idea of calling the local police to recommend a towing service is a new thought for me and seems the most logical.
    Many law enforcement agencies maintain a rotation list of tow providers, so as to avoid complaints about favoritism. So, your recommendation is likely to be whichever tow provider is up next on the list. People who use local tow services, or are otherwise familiar with them, are likely to give a recommendation more on-target with your needs or circumstances. For me, that’s local MC dealers and Anonymous Book listers.

Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S-PD — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT — 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
    Many law enforcement agencies maintain a rotation list of tow providers, so as to avoid complaints about favoritism. So, your recommendation is likely to be whichever tow provider is up next on the list. People who use local tow services, or are otherwise familiar with them, are likely to give a recommendation more on-target with your needs or circumstances. For me, that’s local MC dealers and Anonymous Book listers.

Best,
    DeVern
    When leo's call for a tow for THEIR impound or broken down vehicle obstructing traffic etc, it's next in line. When you call their non emergency number, asking for a recommendation for a tow of a motorcycle, they can recommend who they believe will be able to better assist on a MC tow. Ask for the number of such a tow operator, not have them call for a tow, which would likely be next in rotation.

If they were inclined to do so, they could recommend a tow service that they believe is better equipped to tow motors and then make the call for you. That's assisting a motorist on the road, not so much having to use next in line. One could also ask if they have a motor unit, and to speak to one of their motor officers for a recommendation.

If you just ask for a tow, then it's likely next in line which I would not do myself [ knowing many tow services aren't equipped to pick up a motor properly without creating further damage ]. Most leo's or communications personnel on a non emergency number will be willing assist in the information you seek. Asking for information on who to call to best tow a motor won't necessarily result in "next in line" service being dispatched.

It's beneficial if one knows how the support system in play works when requesting help and not just asking for a tow.

The Annon app/book and local motor dealers are also great resources as you suggest. My first call for a tow is to best roadside assistance, they send operators who can tow motors properly. Next is resourcing the AB on the app for local help and after that a call to dealer, then the PD for assistance.
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    I placed a call to the tire hazard protection number and got a pleasant woman on the line very quickly. She started a claim for me and gave me the claim number. When I take the bike in for tire replacement next week the dealer is to call them first to get authorization with that claim number. They will ask for the condition of the tire and tread depth. Once authorized they will reimburse me. Last time I was getting the work done on a Saturday and they pre-authorized it for me over the phone. I will report back after this is complete.

I have to get my lift back in the truck first so I can haul it to Haps.

liftsmall.jpg

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    The tire bead broke and the rim hit the ground for a few revolutions before we got fully stopped. The rim is scuffed pretty much all the way around. It is ugly but shouldn't affect the seal or performance. Any way to dress this out some or is replacing it the only option?

rimsmall.jpg

With the tire off some sanding and a repaint with Wurth Silver Wheel Paint should hide most of that.

Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S-PD — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT — 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138