• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Riding Modes and Integrated brakes?

bobs_one

It is my understanding that the brakes on my 2017GSA are "integrated" i.e. - activating either the front or the rear also activates the other to some extent. It is also my understanding (not sure where I got this from) that the extent of the activation of the other brake varies denpeding on the riding mode - i.e. - in rain mode the amount applied to the rear vs the front is different than it would be in Dynamic Mode.

So, as far as I can figure out, this means that I cannot do trail braking into curves?

If the GSA is in Enduro, or Enduro Pro, modes are the brakes still integrated? Can I trail brake in Enduro modes (at least off road)?

I have a 2015 GSA, and it has integrated brakes, but they do not operate quite like you described. The brake pedal activates only the rear brake (not the front brakes). Using the brake lever activates the front brakes, and the back brake. Can't answer your other questions. Do you have the owner's manual for your bike?

So, as far as I can figure out, this means that I cannot do trail braking into curves?
One can always trail-brake into a curve - integrated or non-integrated brakes. You can trail-brake with the front brakes, or trail-brake with the rear. You can trail-brake with both front and rear together.

One can always trail-brake into a curve - integrated or non-integrated brakes. You can trail-brake with the front brakes, or trail-brake with the rear. You can trail-brake with both front and rear together.

But what do the integrated brakes actually do. I always believed that the hand lever applied front and rear but that the pedal only actuated the rear brakes. Who knows for sure for his bike: 2017 GSA

But what do the integrated brakes actually do. I always believed that the hand lever applied front and rear but that the pedal only actuated the rear brakes. Who knows for sure for his bike: 2017 GSA
We are familiar with several bikes with LINKED brakes. The rear brake pedal works the rear brake and ONE front disc. The front brake lever works the TWO front discs and the rear brake.

Linked brakes can be fully or partially integrated. My 14 wethead RT is partially integrated, the front brake operates both front and rear. The rear pedal only operates the rear. My 02 RT had fully integrated brakes. The new RT 21/22 are also fully integrated but it also has software that helps to control braking.

Linked brakes can be fully or partially integrated. My 14 wethead RT is partially integrated, the front brake operates both front and rear. The rear pedal only operates the rear. My 02 RT had fully integrated brakes. The new RT 21/22 are also fully integrated but it also has software that helps to control braking.

So, is the OP 2017 GSA fully or partially integrated? Who knows??

And, is the integration still applied if the ABS is turned off???

Rtfm

OK, I should have read the manual more closely. it says:

Anti-lock brake system (ABS)
Partially integral brakes
Your motorcycle is equipped with partially integral brakes. Both front and rear brakes are applied when you pull the handbrake lever. The footbrake lever acts only on the rear brake.

Still not sure if the weighting between front brake and rear brake (when using hand lever) changes with riding modes or not.

Anyway, I guess I can try to learn how to trail brake now.

Footbrake never adds front brake on these GS's and GSA's. Hand brake lever does both wheels.

Higher mileage R1200GS LC or GSA LC riders report changing the rear pads "often" and the fronts rarely.

The front brake lever gives a lot of rear brake and front brake, both disks. The rear footpeg never adds front braking.

The ABS does assorted things at each wheel while heavy braking depending on the mode. Enduro pro basically does zero rear ABS when you apply the footbrake, you can slide and slide, like woods racers do into most sharp turns.

Rain mode won't ask for as much traction before the ABS interupts the fluid pressure.

Enduro pro mode will let the front slide some while the ABS starts to interupt the fluid pressure.

I gather that on steep downhills in rocky gulleys, it will slow the front some in enduro pro and the rear can lock up with the footbrake.
In rain mode the ABS basically is so scared to apply fluid pressure that these bikes 'run away' on steep rocky down hills in rain mode with either or both brakes applied.

Back