Thread: Riding Modes and Integrated brakes?

Riding Modes and Integrated brakes?

It is my understanding that the brakes on my 2017GSA are "integrated" i.e. - activating either the front or the rear also activates the other to some extent. It is also my understanding (not sure where I got this from) that the extent of the activation of the other brake varies denpeding on the riding mode - i.e. - in rain mode the amount applied to the rear vs the front is different than it would be in Dynamic Mode.

So, as far as I can figure out, this means that I cannot do trail braking into curves?

If the GSA is in Enduro, or Enduro Pro, modes are the brakes still integrated? Can I trail brake in Enduro modes (at least off road)?
    Bob
    2014 R1200RT
    2017 R1200 GSA

I have a 2015 GSA, and it has integrated brakes, but they do not operate quite like you described. The brake pedal activates only the rear brake (not the front brakes). Using the brake lever activates the front brakes, and the back brake. Can't answer your other questions. Do you have the owner's manual for your bike?
    Mark
    2015 R 1200 GS Adventure

Quote Originally Posted by bobs_one View Post

So, as far as I can figure out, this means that I cannot do trail braking into curves?
    One can always trail-brake into a curve - integrated or non-integrated brakes. You can trail-brake with the front brakes, or trail-brake with the rear. You can trail-brake with both front and rear together.
    Ray
    '74 R90/6. '75 R90S. '76 R90S. 2019 R1250RT
    Too many dirt bikes to list.

Quote Originally Posted by craydds View Post
    One can always trail-brake into a curve - integrated or non-integrated brakes. You can trail-brake with the front brakes, or trail-brake with the rear. You can trail-brake with both front and rear together.
    But what do the integrated brakes actually do. I always believed that the hand lever applied front and rear but that the pedal only actuated the rear brakes. Who knows for sure for his bike: 2017 GSA
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    But what do the integrated brakes actually do. I always believed that the hand lever applied front and rear but that the pedal only actuated the rear brakes. Who knows for sure for his bike: 2017 GSA
    We are familiar with several bikes with LINKED brakes. The rear brake pedal works the rear brake and ONE front disc. The front brake lever works the TWO front discs and the rear brake.
    Ray
    '74 R90/6. '75 R90S. '76 R90S. 2019 R1250RT
    Too many dirt bikes to list.

Linked brakes can be fully or partially integrated. My 14 wethead RT is partially integrated, the front brake operates both front and rear. The rear pedal only operates the rear. My 02 RT had fully integrated brakes. The new RT 21/22 are also fully integrated but it also has software that helps to control braking.

Quote Originally Posted by strataj View Post
    Linked brakes can be fully or partially integrated. My 14 wethead RT is partially integrated, the front brake operates both front and rear. The rear pedal only operates the rear. My 02 RT had fully integrated brakes. The new RT 21/22 are also fully integrated but it also has software that helps to control braking.
    So, is the OP 2017 GSA fully or partially integrated? Who knows??

And, is the integration still applied if the ABS is turned off???
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Rtfm

OK, I should have read the manual more closely. it says:

Anti-lock brake system (ABS)
    Partially integral brakes
    Your motorcycle is equipped with partially integral brakes. Both front and rear brakes are applied when you pull the handbrake lever. The footbrake lever acts only on the rear brake.

Still not sure if the weighting between front brake and rear brake (when using hand lever) changes with riding modes or not.

Anyway, I guess I can try to learn how to trail brake now.
    Bob
    2014 R1200RT
    2017 R1200 GSA

You’ll find some very good info here with regard to ABS, integral braking, Pro modes, etc. Scroll past the first dozen or so responses to get to what you’re looking for.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/linke...stion.1497931/
    Michael
    2014 R1200RT LC