Thread: Seat for F700GS

Seat for F700GS

I've acquired a BMW F 700 GS with the stock seat. Is there an alternative that will have me loving this bike on a ride longer than 2 hours? I've been searching on line but I haven't seen anything that doesn't require a huge chunk of change. Just curious if anyone has changed out or modified their stock seat. Thanks.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum!
    Seats are always of interest. I put a Sargent on my F800GS- better. Added an Airhawk- better.
    It seems that the Russell Day Long is the one people like the most
    Good luck.
    Gary
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

3 Red Bricks
    Welcome to the Forum!

This is not unique to the F700. Some people love stock seats, some can’t stand them. Some people love Corbin seats, some can’t stand them. Some people love Russel Day Longs, some can’t stand them.

The basic lesson is; Everyone’s butt is different. That is why we don’t all ride on the same seat.

Ironically, I found the factory “Comfort” seat to be the least comfortable of the three factory seats (on test rides during the purchase of my wife’s F700Gs). The Low seat that she finally got is fairly good, but too close to the pegs for me. It’s worked out perfectly for her. Her butt is much different than mine (thank God!).

Seats are such a personal preference, that you should try to try them on, like shoes. Or, if you are lucky enough to have a good seat builder near you can do a ride in where the build the seat, minus the cover, then cover it with Syran Wrap and go for a good ride and come back for adjustments until you’re happy, and then cover it. I did that with my Corbin and am very happy.

Mike Corbin once told me that BMW has singlehandedly insured that his business is always booming!

Good luck finding what fits your butt.

Last edited by 98lee; 11-05-2021 at 12:28 AM. Reason: Sp.
    LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Russell Day-Long

My wife, Karla, and I bought a pair of F/GS back in 2014. She ordered a Sargent right away. When it arrived I used that original seat to get a RDL made. It works great, although it does make the seat height a bit taller. I have since sold the F800GS. I put the original seat on it and kept the RDL for those times when I ride Karla's bike.
    Last edited by sgtbill; 11-19-2021 at 12:18 AM.
    sgtbill
    Duty First!
    86 K100RS EML & 79 R100S & 83 R80ST
    2014 F700GS & 2020 R Nine T /5 & 2020 R1250R

I have a Corbin and a stock seat. I used the stock for 3 years then the Corbin for 10. Now back to the stock.

I have both a Sargent saddle and a Russell Sport saddle (Day-long lite) for my GS. For longer rides I use the Russell, which is in a class by itself for comfort, but which doesn’t let me flat foot the bike easily on both sides. The Sargent does, so for routine local riding, errands etc. the Sargent is ideal. Both are first class products.
    2002 R1150R (sold)
    2016 BMW F700GS
    2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

I had a 2013 700 GS that I put 62000 Mike on before moving on. In that mileage I went from a bmw comfort seat to a seat concepts, then two different air hawk pads, one Bill Mayer seat pad, a borrowed 300 mile test ride with a Day Long seat which was great but I couldn't flat foot with, and finally a Sargent Enduro flat seat, which was the only seat I could do 700 plus miles a day on. All the rest had me in pain by 300 miles. Not sure what it about the 700 design, but it's the only MC out of 7 different bikes where I had that problem. Good luck with your search but I'd suggest giving the Sargent seat a try. I was lucky and had the Sargent sales person give me the option of purchasing at the Hamburg national rally to ride home with, (700 Miles) and if it didn't do the job, send it back in good condition for full refund. I rode that 700 Mike's straight through with the biggest grin on my face and kept it. I did one additional 900 Mike rides with it from Wawa Canada to St Louis and several 600 Mike rides in between, so reasonably happy to suggest it as a possibility. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by gyanni View Post
    I've acquired a BMW F 700 GS with the stock seat. Is there an alternative that will have me loving this bike on a ride longer than 2 hours? I've been searching on line but I haven't seen anything that doesn't require a huge chunk of change. Just curious if anyone has changed out or modified their stock seat. Thanks.
    I bought my '13 F700GS in '20 with 22k on the clock. The previous owner had installed a Corbin and I can ride for 8-10 hours with stops every 2-3 hours in relative comfort.
    ----
    '13 F700GS "Donkey"
    '65 Norton Atlas 750 "Nigel"