• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Sidecar engine for /2

motor4

Maybe a airhead forum question though will post here first. Have an old 1965 r60/2 with broken piston ring so heads need to be enlarged. Also have a r69 engine though don’t know condition of it.

Considering getting her running again and adding a sidecar that weighs about 250 pounds. Uncertain if those old engines can handle such a sidecar. Thus wondering if I should consider a /5 engine though not a clue what is required to get that fitted to the frame nor other things needed to go with it. The bike has an earls fork front end so thinking that would be of benefit.

Would need to see if the sidecar is still available for sale…might have been sold already. It was a Motorvation II sidecar. Was going to buy it but none of my newer bikes had the old style bike frames where the frame wrapped around the engine top and bottom. Guy had it connected to a 2003 harely.

“Will it pull it” is usually best answered by “what are you planning on carrying in the car” and “how fast/far do you plan to travel?”
250lb of sidecar plus possibly another 150-200lbs of passenger and gear means even the /5 engine would have it’s work cut out for it.

Does the /2 have an Earles front fork? That would be a huge plus in the handling department, but you’ll want to keep in mind that a sidecar rig adds additional braking demands upon a bike.

Best,
DeVern

Certainly an R60/2 will "pull" a chair around. They were designed to do that and came from the factory with the ball attachments on the frame...up to a certain point in time. The Earles fork is definitely the better idea for handling as the front and rear ends of the bike settle together during braking...little to no nose dive with that front end. The use of a 1970-1980 engine in the frame has been done a lot. As mentioned, best to think about making a modification to get a front disk installed.

If you have mismatched /2 engine/frame or orphaned items, check the Vintage BMW orphan list in case someone is out there looking for the match item:

https://vintagebmw.org/orphans/

Thanks all, yes it has the earls fork front end. Doubt I would ever drive long distance if I get the /2 running again. It would 98% of the time just be me and the sidecar without anyone, two legged, riding when me (guess one should never say never though).

I can check the airheads.org site for some input on what would be a good bmw engine to put in the frame. Key ‘want’ would be the least trouble getting one in the frame along with the rest…rear end type needed, how to connect engine to rear end, transmission, carbs, etc.

Don’t recall if there is a need to shave off part of the earl fork U-tube frame lower part frame tube (behind bottom of front fender) if installing a /5 or newer engine in the frame.

Seems the sidecar might still be for sale though need to check again. It has one of those shaft screw trim adjusters attached to it for tilt based on weight in sidecar. At most might have my 30lb doggie ride in it I figure.

/5 engine

My friend at his shop a few years ago installed a /5 engine in a /2 bike. The owner could not kick start the /2. It can be done and worked very well but there are some things that need to be re engineered. At the same time, the ignition and charging systems were upgraded as well.

I think the best /2 side car rig with a non /2 engine was a R90S engine/transmission with major modifications. The rig was on display at the R90S 40th anniversary shin dig in PA back in 2014. Not only did it have the hot engine but disc brake upgrades as well. I don't know who owned it but it was very well done. St.

Back