• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R100R side stand

walt3022

Is there any hope at all for the miserable side stand on my R100R? It's mounted WAY forward, springs back to the return position all by itself and is far too short. Other than those niggly drawbacks, it's a well-designed bit of equipment. :cry
Has anyone found a way to either correct these shortcomings or replace it with one that is not an accident ready to happen?
I would be grateful to anyone who can post a pix of the Schneider "fix" that was once available.

Last edited:
Is there any hope at all for the miserable side stand on my R100R? It's mounted WAY forward, springs back to the return position all by itself and is far too short. Other than those niggly drawbacks, it's a well-designed bit of equipment. :cry
Has anyone found a way to either correct these shortcomings or replace it with one that is not an accident ready to happen?

There were a few aftermarket stands made for those bikes. The "Brown" sidestand is what I had.

There are others, but see for example: https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/PartsDetails.aspx?source=catalog&diagram=FA_BROWNSIDESTAND

I have never seen nor ever heard of a Brown side stand for the R100R model. I've read a lot of the threads on this topic. They started way back in the last century, so any photo(s) posted of the Schneider "fix" no longer exist. From what I know today, it seems that the only solution to the awkward OEM side stand is to have a special, relocated attachment point welded to the frame of the machine.
Well, that's not exactly correct. If one has very deep pockets and wishes to shop in the UK, there is the option of an entirely new rollover bar/side stand combo available.
That is beyond my reach.

Call Robert Van Farowe @ 1-616-896-8469. He has a custom metal shop in Michigan. He makes side stands for many an R bike. I just purchased one for my '93 R100RS. He may well make one for your R100R.

Schneider sidestand

I would be grateful to anyone who can post a pix of the Schneider "fix" that was once available.

If you can get hold of the May 1996 MOA mag details of the sidestand fix is on page 23. Will try to get pics. I have two GS/PDs and an R100R. Am getting old and need to do the same fix.

Man, am I impressed with your organized approach to life! You cited month and page from ON 25 years ago!? Incredible to think that someone has access to that level of detail. I'm also struck by the timing of this. Last summer I tossed a large number of ON that had been stored away for a very long time. It's quite possible the very issue you cite was among those mags. :banghead I wonder if there is another box of ON in some dark corner of the garage? It's worth a look.

The index for the ON, which is in the June 1998 issue, shows this "fix" as a pad in May 1996. Is that the "fix" you're looking for? Seems like that addresses the contact with the ground, not how the stand operates.

The extreme angle the side stand places the bike on is something I can address with an additional pad on the foot of the side stand.
What is a bigger concern to me is the way the OEM stand must be deployed. I've recently injured my left hip. That has me worried that I'll no longer be able to get on/off the bike at all, as it is impossible to deploy the side stand while astride the bike. I need to be able to do that in order to confidently get off the seat. In the present configuration, that is impossible.
Imagine having a beautiful R100R in the garage that I cannot ride. That would be a major bummer.

Back