• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Allstate Wants to Track Your Driving to Determine Your Car Insurance Rate

The future?

By law all vehicles are constructed with the ability to collect, store and report speed, acceleration, lateral G-force, braking and location.

I don't think my vehicles have any of these. My newest vehicle was manufactured in 1998 my truck was manufactured in 1987. My car has just over 300,000 miles on it & my truck has about 125,000 miles on it & both should last me the rest of my life.

A friend has a VW Tiguan. He got a phone call from the service department of the VW dealership to alert him that he had a tire with very low air pressure.

I wonder if the dashboard low tire pressure indicator was on?
OM

I don't think my vehicles have any of these. My newest vehicle was manufactured in 1998 my truck was manufactured in 1987. My car has just over 300,000 miles on it & my truck has about 125,000 miles on it & both should last me the rest of my life.

GM started installing black boxes in 1994.

As this bit of "telematics" or "telemetry" progresses, it seems we will end up with "cloud based" diagnostic needs. A lot of the large heavy equipment, especially from Germany, now requires an internet connection back to the factory for problems not readily apparent in the field.
It has been reported that in the case of an overload on one of the new cranes, a report is sent direct to the factory. The new cranes have a lot of problems that need to be analyzed by the factory so they can find a cure. It seems that technology is overrunning field experience.
OM

Technology which outstrips our ability to understand it will bring on more problems than we can imagine, except in a science fiction sense - which won't be fiction anymore.

Back