• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Allstate Wants to Track Your Driving to Determine Your Car Insurance Rate

Omega Man

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat
Staff member
Interesting article in the Wall Street Journal about a plan from Allstate to change :p the way you are "rated" for car insurance. I don't know how this relates to motorcycles but as the insurers seem to want to "bundle" policies, it may matter.

Excerpt-

With telematics, insurers monitor policyholders’ driving behaviors either through smartphone applications or devices embedded in their vehicles. Insurers slice the tracking data to tailor individual rates.

Full WSJ story here- https://www.wsj.com/articles/allsta...determine-your-car-insurance-rate-11633685400

OM

When I switched to Liberty Mutual 2 years ago, it was optional. I took their offer on my two cages, no offer to track my driving on the motor. After 90 days of tracking both cages, I received a 50.00 reduction on one and 120.00 deduction on the other vehicle off my yearly billing.

The device was placed on the windshield near the rear view and tracked acceleration, braking, speed. Unless Allstate makes it mandatory [ LM did not ] this system has been in play for some time now.

It's offered but NOT MANDATORY

Have had Allstate since 71. Many claims with home, MC, and auto. Have always been a "preferred" type of claimant/customer. Recently, it was yearly eval/renewal time with a long talk with my agent of those oh so many years. I was offered, and took the bait on a new type of policy that lowered my rate by some 30%!! The "tracking system" through my phone, was offered, but not mandatory.
Turning down the "tracking" was discussed and my agent understood why I would turn it down. I live right off of I-75 just north of Atlanta and south of Chattanooga. To go pretty much anywhere, I jump on the interstate and get there. The flow of traffic is ALWAYS in the high 70's to the low 80's. The truck try to cruise in the low 70's. NO, I didnt want the insurance company knowing that I tend to go just a bit faster than the flow, not lower......So, what was this going to do to my rate........of course, no one is an idiot so I refused the device.......The jury is out as to what is gonna happen to my new policy type and rate; but so far, no problems or letters............God bless.......Denns

The future?

By law all vehicles are constructed with the ability to collect, store and report speed, acceleration, lateral G-force, braking and location. To get insurance owners must provide access to this data. Vehicles operating without insurance are inoperable. Insurance regulatory policy is nationalized. Policies set forth mandatory driving behaviors and set penalties for violations. Policies can also set penalties for driving in zones designated as “high risk”. Penalties are accessed immediately; drive 15 MPH over the limit on Tuesday, get a $100 penalty on Wednesday. Fail to pay and vehicle is inop. Policies require policy holders to authorize release of all collected information to law enforcement agencies on request (without a warrant), or when deemed appropriate by the insurance company.

Why not, we would all be safer.

I've seen this coming for years. It started with install the gizmo for a lower rate. It will evolve into install the gizmo or no insurance. :banghead

I've seen this coming for years. It started with install the gizmo for a lower rate. It will evolve into install the gizmo or no insurance. :banghead

Sorta the way I see it :hungover

If anyone remembers the "V-Chip" deal and how it was going to "save our children", it really was a way to decode an embedded signal on the cable transmission to "kick out" the record functions on premium pay packages such as HBO. older recording devices do not recognize the signal :)

:dunno

OM

Actually, the Allstate "gizmo" is an app that would be on my smart phone. They offered the actual device that plugs in and someway sends them a message a couple of years ago. My agent, who is a friend, advised STRONGLY, that it was not a big deal if I didnt take the offer. Again, we shall see on down the road. Yes, the new type of policy includes nothing happening for 2 at fault "events". I just dont want "BROTHER", big or small having any idea what I am doing.

As an aside, no insurance on my e-bike which makes the 9 miles to the nearest city limits quite nicely and back. As does Pete who is lots more fun than anything else I have to ride.............

Attachments

• Pete and Dennis.jpg
    Pete and Dennis.jpg
    705.8 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Actually, the Allstate "gizmo" is an app on my smart phone.

When I ride my phone is always turned off, and when I drive it is off at least 90% of the time. I don't need the distraction and anybody is free to leave a message. I don't use any apps for navigation - I use my Garmin Zumo 660. I have no need or desire to have the phone on when riding or driving.

Actually, the Allstate "gizmo" is an app on my smart phone. They offered the actual device that plugs in and someway sends them a message a couple of years ago. My agent, who is a friend, advised STRONGLY, that it was not a big deal if I didnt take the offer. Again, we shall see on down the road. Yes, the new type of policy includes nothing happening for 2 at fault "events". I just dont want "BROTHER", big or small having any idea what I am doing.

As an aside, no insurance on my e-bike which makes the 9 miles to the nearest city limits quite nicely and back. As does Pete who is lots more fun than anything else I have to ride.............

The horse only has one GPS system. HOME!:rofl

When I ride my phone is always turned off, and when I drive it is off at least 90% of the time. I don't need the distraction and anybody is free to leave a message. I don't use any apps for navigation - I use my Garmin Zumo 660. I have no need or desire to have the phone on when riding or driving.

I made a correction. Perhaps your reply indicates that I have installed the app on my phone???? I corrected my statement to read that I have not installed the app that Allstate would've like me to do.

EUGENE: What you call a horse is, in the real world of riding.....the best that there is....A MULE....

Always wondered how they would treat volunteer first responders in a privately owned vehicle.

I have no idea how people are renting their cars, Uber and Lyft. Around here, all that requires a commercial policy. One time I asked my agent and he winced..... Said nobody wants to touch that. Uber and Lyft sure have kicked the crap out of the value of a taxi medallion's value :scratch
OM

If the insurance apps are made mandatory, I wonder how they will deal with the remaining small percent of the population that do not carry a smartphone?

If the insurance apps are made mandatory, I wonder how they will deal with the remaining small percent of the population that do not carry a smartphone?

I’m pretty sure the information will flow through the OBD-2 port on the cars. Around here, vehicles are plugged into for the annual inspection and parameters read. I’m also pretty sure that the electric vehicle owners will be the instigators of a “pay by the mile” kinda deal. Loss of gas/road tax revenue will be the rationale.
No problem with Dennis’s mule headed to town. :laugh
OM

I’m pretty sure the information will flow through the OBD-2 port on the cars. Around here, vehicles are plugged into for the annual inspection and parameters read. I’m also pretty sure that the electric vehicle owners will be the instigators of a “pay by the mile” kinda deal. Loss of gas/road tax revenue will be the rationale.
No problem with Dennis’s mule headed to town. :laugh
OM

No inspections here in Iowa but most new cars can be tracked by satellite.
I have a 2018 Chevy and I do not pay for a OnStar plan. I still get a basic monthly report on my driving habits like how many times I accelerate or brake hard and how many times I drive over 80. No idea if they use 80 as a upper limit in Texas or western states.
The report even tells me my tire pressure. I do have a app for starting or unlocking the car that I rarely use but you can bet if I did not have the app a satellite could still receive the info.
I would not be surprised if insurance companies are able to see this info from new vehicles.

If you don't want to be tracked, ride a mule or non electric bicycle, but we still have that problem with the chip that was injected in most of us when we got our vaccine :) OM feel free to delete that last part :)

A friend has a VW Tiguan. He got a phone call from the service department of the VW dealership to alert him that he had a tire with very low air pressure.

Vintage farm equipment is also hot. Modern tractors, balers, swathers, etc are packed with technology. Manufacturers withhold repair and maintenance information and service techs often have to go to the machine. Service visits are expensive and often require a significant wait. Not good if you have hay on the ground and your baler is broken.

Back