• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2017 RT Footpeg lowering kit

sufferin_boothead

Sufferin Boothead
Does anyone have any recommendations or preferences for footpeg lowering kits for my RT? (knees are getting sore riding and I hear they makes a big difference) I am impressed with the KD (knight design) description but also many have used Wunderlich and Suburban Machinery. Your thoughts....

Suburban gets my money every time. I like that they look stock. Have them on my '17 RT

Attachments

• IMG_7587.jpg
    IMG_7587.jpg
    338.7 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_7586.jpg
    IMG_7586.jpg
    301 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_7585.jpg
    IMG_7585.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 148
Suburban gets my vote, had them since new on my 2018, did require a new brake petal from Ilium to match. Shift lever adjustable.

+1 on the Ilium SportBoards. I've used them in about 90,000 miles of riding:

View attachment 85506

The SportsBoards are comfortable but I found they dragged during aggressive cornering. They pivot so I never hit hard but it was disconcerting and I removed them. I might also add that I had lowered my RT so a stock suspension might not be a problem.

I went with the Knight Design foot pegs because they only decrease ground clearance by about 3/8 of an inch while lowering your feet by quite a bit. The Suburban Machinery option uses the stock foot pegs so it not only about a 1 for 1 different in ground clearance, but it also moves the pegs out a bit which, when leaning, is a further reduction in ground clearance.

Lowering the foot pegs made a big difference on my trip to the Rally in Montana earlier this year.

I really like my Ilium Works Sport Boards. A tad pricey, but lotsa room to move the feet around. HTH :usa

Love my sport boards. As far as dragging in the corners, my big wide feet dragged worse when I had the stock pegs. As they say, though, your mileage may vary. Having had a knee replacement about 12 years ago, before they got the hardware right, keeping my knee overly bent caused way too much pain and problems. It's amazing how much difference a little more room can make.

Sounds like the Ilium sport boards may be the best solution for me since they look like an easy install that can be transferred to other RT wetheads in the future. Shift extension would be ordered the same time. Does anyone have an actual photo of what they look like on their bike? They look like they have a rather strange angle from the company photo. Thanks

I tried to upload a photo, but apparently the computer isn't in the mood for that today. So, they do look a little odd, but they don't feel odd, and you can't see them when you're riding.

I have a friend who had a highly customized Harley. I rode my Harley from TN to FL to visit. We went out for a ride, and after about 20 minutes he was squirming around on his seat, first one cheek then the other. I offered him the use of my sheepskin, which at that time was in my tour-pack.
"Oh, I couldn't do that," he said, "besides, it'd have to be black." I guess he envisioned a white sheepskin.
"It is black" I replied, and pulled it out.
"I just think that would look weird." he said.
I thought about that for a moment, and asked "You got eyeballs in your butt? You can't see it when you're sitting on it."

I never did get him to try it. Something must have clicked recently, however, as he's currently looking at a 2012 K1600GT.

Back