• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Bike Won't Start

I spent the weekend bleeding the front and rear brake circuits on my buddy’s 04 K1200RS. When we were finished with the job we had a tipover as we were installing the rear wheel. We got the bike upright and there was no visible damage or leaks but now the engine turns but doesn’t start. Can you think of anything we can check before we start taking the bike apart? Thank You!

That is real common as the bike is wrestled to the upright position. Hang in a bit for the K-Bike experts.
Good luck.
OM

Do motorcycles have an inertia switch that cuts off fuel pump flow when in a collision? Or dropping in this case?

Which way did the bike tip? If left, I’d have a look at the sidestand switch to make sure it is not damaged, and that the sidestand is engaging it properly.

Best,
DeVern

The tank was off but not completely. Fuel lines remained attached. Sidestand retracted.

I'm out of the guessing game now :)
I could not remember what electrical connections I had to disconnect when removing the tank and was thinking one was for the fuel pump.
When I changed the air filter or fuel filter I completely removed the tank. One time I tried to lay the tank to the side when doing a air filter change and I could see I was putting a strain the fuel line quick disconnect.

If the Tupperware is still off or you can reach in, disconnect and reconnect the quick disconnect to make sure they are fully seated. You'll hear and fell the click.

Lee brings up a good point; it’s all too easy to have one of the fuel QDs not fully connected, and they won’t pass fuel if they aren’t fully connected. Additionally, if the pump is engaged when the QDs aren’t passing fuel the pump outputs enough pressure to blow a fuel line loose inside the tank. Sometimes that can be diagnosed by cranking the bike with fuel cap open and watching/listening for fuel spraying inside the tank, or by using a bore scope.

Best,
DeVern

Lee brings up a good point; it’s all too easy to have one of the fuel QDs not fully connected, and they won’t pass fuel if they aren’t fully connected. Additionally, if the pump is engaged when the QDs aren’t passing fuel the pump outputs enough pressure to blow a fuel line loose inside the tank. Sometimes that can be diagnosed by cranking the bike with fuel cap open and watching/listening for fuel spraying inside the tank, or by using a bore scope.

Best,
DeVern

Bike started today! Was most likely the quick disconnect.

Back