• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

AGV Sportmodular Helmet

My beloved 6 year old Schuberth C3 had gotten a bit long in the tooth, did not fit snugly anymore and after a long ride caused a sore spot on the top of my head. The time had come for a new helmet and I planned on replacing it with a new Schuberth C4 Pro. I like to try before I buy, so I checked the local shops. I could have one in Gloss Black or Flat Black, which was all that the dealers had in stock. I checked on ordering, but the Covid supply disruptions have proven to be a problem: no Large Hi-Vis in stock at the warehouse and the dealers did not know when they would be available. I also looked at and tried on the Shoei Neotec 2 and although it felt good on my head, it just felt bulky to me. It also seemed a bit more of a subdued yellow-gold color than a vibrant Hi-Vis. Tried a Nolan, HJC, and an LS2 Modular and they just did not make the grade and were not available in Hi-Vis anyway.

Last week as I was having a tire installed on my bike at Cherokee Cycles, the new BMW dealer in Greer SC, I noticed some helmet boxes that were on the floor to be displayed. One was the Italian AGV Sportmodular helmet in a Hi-Vis and Carbon pattern. I tried it on and it fit my head shape perfectly and it felt REALLY light. I came home and started reading online info on this helmet and it sounded good. It is currently marketed as the lightest modular helmet on the market with a full carbon shell and titanium metal parts, a high safety rating and good visibility. I went back the next day, wore it around the shop for 30 minutes and bought it.

I wore it on the ride home and initial impressions were good. It is noticeably lighter and has much more ventilation than my Schuberth – I can feel a breeze on my face from the chin vent. It has a comfortable interior (although after putting it on I have to reach in and adjust my ears) and excellent visibility. It was also a bit noisier than the Schuberth and at certain angles the wind made some whistling noises that would go away with a shift of the head. I used earplugs with the C3 and I will have to use them with the Sportmodular too.

Back at home I decided to compare the weight of both helmets. The Schuberth C3 in Large came in at 1630 grams (3lb. 9.4oz.) and the AGV Sportmodular at 1480 grams (3lb. 4.2oz). That’s a third of a pound lighter! I have not put calipers to the helmets, but the AGV looks slightly larger. The fit and finish on this AGV is certainly top notch.

Now after 200 miles I am liking this AGV. Some pluses of the Sportmodular are the light weight, excellent clarity for the visor and the flip down sunscreen. It also comes with a PinLock 120 anti-fog lens. The ventilation is better than any previous helmet that I have owned due to a large vent on the chin, a good sized vent on top, a “spoiler” with exhaust vent on the back and one at the base of the neck. It has a very comfortable interior with a reversible crown (one side for cold weather and one side for hot weather). The exterior has a nice smooth design and eye catching Hi-Vis and Carbon graphics.

Some differences between my Schuberth C3 and the AGV Sportmodular are the double D ring chinstrap that take a bit of getting used to after the ratchet lock system on the Schuberth, pressing a button to unlock the visor before raising it (it locks shut in the closed position) and pulling -not pushing- the button for the chin bar release. The visor seems a bit closer to my face and the sunscreen touches the end of my nose when I lower it but then goes back up to just above my nose. I will have to be sure to put in ear plugs before highway riding. I think that will get used to these differences, and in my short test so far the pros balance out the cons.

I think that the AGV Sportmodular may be one to check out if you are in the market for a new modular helmet.

Thanks for the review. I have a friend who rides with an AGV and loves it...they are definitely on my shopping list when it's time to replace my Schuberth C3 Pro (which is not too long from now). I always ride with ear plugs so slightly noisier is not a problem.

Helmet

I have an inexpensive hjc helmet that I purchased many years back and when I put the internal sunshade down it at times would just barely touch my nose which just drove me crazy, to the point where I could not use it. The replacement Shoei Neotec solved the shield touching the nose problem at 3 or 4 times the cost of the hjc and was worth every penny it cost.

Or you could have trimmed the sun shade a bit in the nose area for free!

All I have been wearing is HJC. They fit me well, the sun screen doesn't hit my nose! And they hold up well. I am not adverse to trying a different helmet so maybe the AGVneeds a look. I tried a Schubert a few years back and it was the most uncomfortable healmet I have ever tried on!

After a time with a Shoei RF1200 I decided to go back to a modular and went with the AGV. Also looked at the Klim and the Neotech.

I had a Schuberth years ago and found that the chin strap latch could sometimes be a little tricky to release, very happy to have the double D rings on the AGV.

All in all very pleased with the AGV. It's everything DaveSlash5 says.

If you use an intercom system the shell shape on the bottom makes mounting difficult had to use the stick on mount for my Cardo. I was initially concerned about using the stick on but it hasn't been an issue.

Mike

HJC is a Chinese brand. That is a strike against it for me.

I just checked on that. It turns out that HJC is actually a South Korean company. In 2014 they listed manufacturing sites in three countries: Korea, China and Vietnam. Their current website now states that they have 2 factories located in Korea and Vietnam as their manufacturing centers.
My guess is that they left China as manufacturing costs are rising in that country.

I just checked on that. It turns out that HJC is actually a South Korean company. In 2014 they listed manufacturing sites in three countries: Korea, China and Vietnam. Their current website now states that they have 2 factories located in Korea and Vietnam as their manufacturing centers.
My guess is that they left China as manufacturing costs are rising in that country.

Did not know that, thank you.

Me too

I too have gone from the forehead denting Shuberth C3 Pro to the AGV. It is all the things you say except for me I like the sun shade going as low as it does. The glare from the sun reflecting off the gauges of my r1200rt used to blind me coming in below the sun shade of my old C3 Pro. The AGV allows me to lower it that extra little bit when needed, granted I have to push the helmet forward a MM so it doesnt brush my nose on the way by.
The AGV is a little too wide in the temples making it a tiny bit louder than the C3 Pro, but this is a very little distraction compared to the giant red mark on my forehead if I wore the C3 longer than an hour at a time. This was after hammering in the dreaded spot. I do wish AGV had some different shaped padding for purchase so the interior could be customized, seems like a no brainer to me that these companies could make some extra $$ if they offered alternate interiors.
I also find the top vent very loud, however that could be due to how the air comes off the top of the windscreen so I have not given it much thought. I wear ear plugs for all but the very short rides so its not a major concern.
The D rings took all of 5 times to get used to, I had been a good 7 years with the C3 Pro but muscle memory was still there from the 40 years prior to the ratchet.
All in all I am very happy with the AGV, I would not pay full price as they are outrageous but Cycle World was having a discount so for $550 I am very pleased.

...very happy to have the double D rings on the AGV...

On my AGV Sportmodular, I added a Fidlock buckle. It is awesome, and I prefer it to either D-rings, or the ratcheting type on the Schuberth or Shoei.

...If you use an intercom system the shell shape on the bottom makes mounting difficult had to use the stick on mount for my Cardo...

I also used a Cardo Packtalk Bold for my intercom. I found that I needed to trim the attachment plate to fit the contour of the helmet. And it took me three tries to get the adhesion right. After a couple of thousand miles, the front edge of the sticky-plate would peel up. On my third try, I used 3M VHB tape and clamped it overnight. The 3M VHB remains well-bonded, after another 3000 miles.

...It has a comfortable interior (although after putting it on I have to reach in and adjust my ears) and excellent visibility. ...

I also have issues with needing to reach in to adjust my ears as I put the helmet on. The problem is that the covers over the speakers are not well attached to the helmet, and they wad up. It is a minor issue, but irritating. With respect to visibility: The AGV Sportmodular has a wide lateral field of view, which is great. However, the wide field comes with a penalty of somewhat less visibility up and down. In particular, the upward field of view is less than many helmets. This might not be noticeable for many riders, but it can create a problem for some. For example, when banked sharply in a turn, one needs to look up to see the "vanishing point" of the turn. In this case, with the AGV Sportmodular, visibility requires cranking your neck way back in order to see through the turn. One of my riding friends abandoned his AGV Sportmodular helmet because it hurt his neck after a few hours in the twisties.

I am happy with my AGV... it is very light and fairly well-ventilated. The quality is good. I find it somewhat noisier than my previous Schuberth C3 Pro, but not so much that it is distracting.

Cap

Hi Cap,

Good idea about the Fidlock, but I am already getting used to the d-rings so I may just keep it simple. I will file that idea away for future use in case I change my mind. I am also getting used to the ear issue; once it is on and I reposition my ears I don't have to deal with it until I take off my helmet.

I had not noticed the vertical visibility issue, but I did notice when I first checked out the AGV that the visor looked "skinnier" than the Schuberth. I have been riding on relatively flat roads and ride in an upright position on my GS. This week I will be heading to the NC mountains and will see if I notice this in the twisties.

Thanks again for the feedback. This Sportmodular is the first AGV that I even held in my hands, and I feel a bit better about the choice after hearing from others who are using it. All I knew about it is that it felt really good on my head.

On Revzilla the shape of the Shuberth, Neotec2 and the AGV is the same- in my experience the Neotec is better for me and in no way similar to the Shuberth...any comments on AGV compared to Shoei shape?

On Revzilla the shape of the Shuberth, Neotec2 and the AGV is the same- in my experience the Neotec is better for me and in no way similar to the Shuberth...any comments on AGV compared to Shoei shape?

Hi Rick,

The way that they felt on my head, listed from rounder to more elongated, is Schuberth(Old C3), Shoei Neotec 2, AGV Sportmodular. It seemed that the Sportmodular and the Neotec 2 were pretty close in sizing. They were at different stores and I did not get a side by side comparison.

Hi Rick,

The way that they felt on my head, listed from rounder to more elongated, is Schuberth(Old C3), Shoei Neotec 2, AGV Sportmodular. It seemed that the Sportmodular and the Neotec 2 were pretty close in sizing. They were at different stores and I did not get a side by side comparison.

Thanks...I got a kick out of your "they were at different stores" as I thought, "At least he HAS stores with helmets". I'm not in the wilderness, but I might as well be. I'll definitely give the AGV a try...probably order both AGV and Neo2 from Rev or some such and return the loser.

Thanks...I got a kick out of your "they were at different stores" as I thought, "At least he HAS stores with helmets". I'm not in the wilderness, but I might as well be. I'll definitely give the AGV a try...probably order both AGV and Neo2 from Rev or some such and return the loser.

Over this year I had been looking at helmets and as I travelled I would stop in at good sized motorcycle shops to browse their helmet selection. I lucked out with the AGV. They did not have the Sportmodular on display at Touring Sport in Greenville SC. When they were bought by Cherokee Cycles not one but two boxes for Large Hi-Vis and Black Sportmodular helmets with Touring Sport labels were sitting on the floor as they were moving in stock. That is the first time that I got to try one on and liked it. After checking out online info I went back the next day and bought it.

I just got back today from a two day, 306 mile moto camping trip to the NC mountains. The helmet did fine and with the light weight helped on heavily rutted dirt roads. The area had around four and a half inches of rain in four days last week and really cut some gullies across the roads, many being six to eight inches deep on the shallow uphill ends!

The only negative that I noticed on this trip (besides being noisier than the Schuberth C3) is that the lower part of the visor seems to be higher. When I look down to get something out of the front pockets of the Aerostich, I can't see them and have to open the helmet up and then look down. A minor point, but I did not have to do that with the Schuberth. All in all, I still give the AGV a thumbs up.

Neotec 2 vs HJC I90 (or any other modular helmet)

Wanted to add to this thread since there is a lot of great opinions here.. I am in the market for a modular helmet. I just happen to have a $900 credit at Cycle Gear (story for another day)... I am thinking either a Shoei Neotec2 or an HJC i90.

my two thoughts are:
I want a modular helmet while the Shoei is about $800 for the solid colors, I have "free" money so done deal.

OR

I want a modular helmet and a Cardo comm unit (and maybe $ left over for a jacket)

I (sorry all) usually ride my Harley Ultra and wear a half helmet and wear a full face when riding my 1150RT or Buell XB12, or during the winter months in NH (any fogging issues with either helmet?), so I am not wearing a full face every day.. So do I buy a really nice helmet and enjoy it or do I go with a less expensive and maybe less comfortable but gain the addition of the comm unit?? (I do like listening to music and having audio from Waze or Google maps.

I would appreciate your thoughts. for reference too I did try on a Neotec 2 and an i90 at Americade and yes, the Neotec 2 fit and felt great, the i90 was ok.. The price difference between the two helmets is around $600. I know, I know, what is my head really worth??

Thanks
Royce

Wanted to add to this thread since there is a lot of great opinions here.. I am in the market for a modular helmet. I just happen to have a $900 credit at Cycle Gear (story for another day)... I am thinking either a Shoei Neotec2 or an HJC i90.

my two thoughts are:
I want a modular helmet while the Shoei is about $800 for the solid colors, I have "free" money so done deal.

OR

I want a modular helmet and a Cardo comm unit (and maybe $ left over for a jacket)

I (sorry all) usually ride my Harley Ultra and wear a half helmet and wear a full face when riding my 1150RT or Buell XB12, or during the winter months in NH (any fogging issues with either helmet?), so I am not wearing a full face every day.. So do I buy a really nice helmet and enjoy it or do I go with a less expensive and maybe less comfortable but gain the addition of the comm unit?? (I do like listening to music and having audio from Waze or Google maps.

I would appreciate your thoughts. for reference too I did try on a Neotec 2 and an i90 at Americade and yes, the Neotec 2 fit and felt great, the i90 was ok.. The price difference between the two helmets is around $600. I know, I know, what is my head really worth??

Thanks
Royce

Not to be a wrench thrower...but Schuberth has a clever integrated comm slot on the c4 pro AND the c5- slot in the helmet for battery and a sena made com unit (sc1 and sc2)...speakers and mike are also in the helmet.. The helmet costs less than the Shoei but, at least by reputation (?!?), is in that league.The comm unit runs around 279-350. I tried a Schuberth years ago and the fit sucked- for me- and I went with Neotec...since then I believe they have altered the shape somewhat and I found it to be a good fit-for me. I got the c4 pro but am reluctant to get the comm for it (I'm easily distracted on one hand but I want to be able to answer wifey if she calls!) so I cannot vouch for the quality of the comm...the reviews seem mixed- but they seem mixed for all units!

I agree regarding the shape.

I've had BMW System helmets, all of them since the beginning, now System 7. System 7 is, I believe, the first not made by Schuberth, and I assume since box says Made in Italy, it is an AGV. Fit is certainly the same as previous.

Back