• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Looking at these XR's lately, got some questions for those who own/ride em

brownie0486

I'm under the impression the vibration in the early models was mostly resolved, was it the 2019 or 2020 model?

I understand it's an upright position, is that without the risers added? And if not with riders, have you found them to still be beneficial to riding comfort?

Chain driven, been a LONG time since I've owned one, any issues with chains and sprockets on this model?

Any of the years have recalls to watch for having been performed when buying?

How hard is it to fit aftermarket panniers, what company choices does one have?

Best year/s for the s1000XR? [ less reported issues ]

Thanks in advance

The crankshaft orientation makes shaft drive not very feasible.

Agreed.

Five years ago I did a test ride of a Honda VFR1200X with DCT and shaft drive, and I felt both technologies were incompatible with across-the-frame crankshafts. I would love to test ride a GoldWing with DCT...

On that ride, I showed up at the BMW Centennial celebration at Laguna Seca and test-rode a S1000XR and hated it. It was hot, buzzy and the shift-assist was really annoying. The upright riding position was nice, and the bike was completely stock as far as I can tell, so no bar risers on it. Test ride was only for about 45 minutes, so too short tell tell about overall comfort. Except, the bike was so edgy it wore me out. But I am an old fart!

I sorta like the 900XR, but it's too heavy.

Nothing to do with this thread, but if you're interested in some off-beat California riding... zoom into this map for details....

<iframe src="https://ridewithgps.com/embeds?type=route&id=15982380&sampleGraph=true" style="width: 1px; min-width: 100%; height: 1000px; border: none;" scrolling="no"></iframe>

Answers to your XR Questions

I have 23,970 miles on my 2021 S1000XR; my answers to your questions are below...

Q: I'm under the impression the vibration in the early models was mostly resolved, was it the 2019 or 2020 model?

A: After test riding the Gen1 XR, I refused to buy it because the vibration was horrible compared to my K1300GT; after test riding the Gen2, I bought one. I immediately replaced the stock bar ends with Evotech Handlebar End Weights to further minimize vibrations. After putting more than 15,000 miles on it, during a 7,000 mile trip to Great Falls, I realized I wasn't feeling any significant vibration. I also noticed that I could feel lots of vibration when I moved my hands from the handlebars to the handlebar mounted mirrors, but almost no vibration when I kept my hands on the grips.

Q: I understand it's an upright position, is that without the risers added? And if not with risers, have you found them to still be beneficial to riding comfort?

A: Yes, it's an upright position. I tried various handlebar positions on the XR, forward more, backward more, and up more; my final configuration uses 2" Roxx risers at a 45 degree angle so they both rise and setback. I find it very comfortable, but there is a tendency that my butt slides forward in the seat over time. I'm still working on seat shape solutions for that.

Q: Chain driven, been a LONG time since I've owned one, any issues with chains and sprockets on this model?

A: I have over 70,000 miles on S1000 bikes at this point; two RRs and one XR. My XR came with the M Endurance Chain; going forward, I won't own a chain bike without an M Endurance Chain. You do not lube it except as directed by the owner's manual: When it gets dirty, salty, etc., then you clean and lube it; and you lube it at each regular service interval (6K, 12K, etc.). Check the slack regularly, but other than adjustments during tire changes, I haven't needed to do a chain adjustment until I hit 23,879 miles. Four different dealers have checked my chain and found it to still be in spec.

Q: Any of the years have recalls to watch for having been performed when buying?

A: I have a 2021 model year; the only recall has been the front brake calipers because some of them leaked.

Q: How hard is it to fit aftermarket panniers, what company choices does one have?

A: I use BMW's bags because no one else uses BMW's very clean mounting system. It's a frameless mounting system very much like I had on my K1300GT; three mounting points that are very stealthy when the bags are off.

Q: Best year/s for the s1000XR? [ less reported issues ]

A: Strongly recommend Gen2 (2020 to current) over Gen1 (thru 2019). I've only had one issue so far; one of my XR's front rotors developed brake pulsations from a warped rotor; later, both of my XR's front rotors developed brake pulsations from rotor thickness variation. The warped rotor was not covered by warranty because it's considered a wear item and I had 15,000 miles on at the time. I'm still discussing the thickness variation issue with BMW; my dealer has discussed it with the rep and said she will call me.

Hope this helps. Jerry

I have 23,970 miles on my 2021 S1000XR; my answers to your questions are below...

Q: I'm under the impression the vibration in the early models was mostly resolved, was it the 2019 or 2020 model?

A: After test riding the Gen1 XR, I refused to buy it because the vibration was horrible compared to my K1300GT; after test riding the Gen2, I bought one. I immediately replaced the stock bar ends with Evotech Handlebar End Weights to further minimize vibrations. After putting more than 15,000 miles on it, during a 7,000 mile trip to Great Falls, I realized I wasn't feeling any significant vibration. I also noticed that I could feel lots of vibration when I moved my hands from the handlebars to the handlebar mounted mirrors, but almost no vibration when I kept my hands on the grips.

Q: I understand it's an upright position, is that without the risers added? And if not with risers, have you found them to still be beneficial to riding comfort?

A: Yes, it's an upright position. I tried various handlebar positions on the XR, forward more, backward more, and up more; my final configuration uses 2" Roxx risers at a 45 degree angle so they both rise and setback. I find it very comfortable, but there is a tendency that my butt slides forward in the seat over time. I'm still working on seat shape solutions for that.

Q: Chain driven, been a LONG time since I've owned one, any issues with chains and sprockets on this model?

A: I have over 70,000 miles on S1000 bikes at this point; two RRs and one XR. My XR came with the M Endurance Chain; going forward, I won't own a chain bike without an M Endurance Chain. You do not lube it except as directed by the owner's manual: When it gets dirty, salty, etc., then you clean and lube it; and you lube it at each regular service interval (6K, 12K, etc.). Check the slack regularly, but other than adjustments during tire changes, I haven't needed to do a chain adjustment until I hit 23,879 miles. Four different dealers have checked my chain and found it to still be in spec.

Q: Any of the years have recalls to watch for having been performed when buying?

A: I have a 2021 model year; the only recall has been the front brake calipers because some of them leaked.

Q: How hard is it to fit aftermarket panniers, what company choices does one have?

A: I use BMW's bags because no one else uses BMW's very clean mounting system. It's a frameless mounting system very much like I had on my K1300GT; three mounting points that are very stealthy when the bags are off.

Q: Best year/s for the s1000XR? [ less reported issues ]

A: Strongly recommend Gen2 (2020 to current) over Gen1 (thru 2019). I've only had one issue so far; one of my XR's front rotors developed brake pulsations from a warped rotor; later, both of my XR's front rotors developed brake pulsations from rotor thickness variation. The warped rotor was not covered by warranty because it's considered a wear item and I had 15,000 miles on at the time. I'm still discussing the thickness variation issue with BMW; my dealer has discussed it with the rep and said she will call me.

Hope this helps. Jerry

Thanks for taking the time to post responses to those questions. :thumb

Back