Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24

Thread: Allocation?

  1. #1
    Registered User TracerBullet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    my own little slice of heaven
    Posts
    200

    Allocation?

    I am trying to order a 2022 RT and I am finding out that I just can't order a bike?
    Evidently I have to wait until the dealer gets an allocation from Motorrad?
    I would have thought that the dealer could just place an order. After all it is a guaranteed sale.
    The pen is mightier than the sword….unless some one is trying to stab you with the sword….then it’s the sword…..definitely the sword

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Peoria, AZ
    Posts
    83

    How to Order & Track Your New BMW

    I posted this back in 2016. Another member who worked at a BMW dealership added some edits as well.

    Ordering a BMW car and motorcycle essentially works the same way:

    1. Dealer receives production allocation for a certain model. The number of allocations is based, in part, on previous sales at that dealership.

    2. Dealer places order for their inventory or for a specific customer using the BMW computer ordering system (I believe it's called DealerSpeed). There is a priority "field" on the Vehicle Inquiry Status order form that indicates the status. Highest priority is "1-Customer Sold." This tells BMW there's a customer waiting for the bike/car. Other priority numbers, such as "3-Priority Stock" indicates it's for the dealer's inventory.

    3. After placing the order, the bike or car is assigned a unique Production Number and production week. When I ordered my 2014 RT on February 5, it was scheduled to be built that last week of February. And the dealer provided me with a printout to show the bike was built as scheduled on February 28.

    4. About a week after it was built, the bike's status changed to "In Transit To Warehouse." The dealer's computer then indicated the exact container ship that would carry the cargo to New Jersey. You can track the ship's progress (Google Marine Traffic).

    5. My 2014 RT arrived in New Jersey in mid-April and was delivered to me on April 24.

    6. Total time from build date to delivery about 8 weeks.

    After the shock recall, I chose Option 4 and sold my 2014 back to BMW, and ordered a 2015 RT on July 8 (he had just received 2 allocations).

    I watched as my salesperson input my order and immediately received a unique Production Number. My 2015 RT order indicated status code 111, which means the ordered was accepted by BMW. Changes are allowed until the bike goes into status code 150 (in production). Ordering a BMW auto works the same way.

    My 2015 RT is due in New Jersey port on Sep 20. Once is clears customs, it will be released for truck shipping and should arrive at my dealer in about 10 days.

    When I ordered my 2014, my dealer showed me how to track the truck on the DHL website:

    https://dhli.dhl.com/dhli-client/publicTracking?7

    In the "Search By" drop-down menu, select "Customer Ref Number"

    Then input your VIN. It's case sensitive, so use capital letters.

    You should be able to track the shipment, assuming that it's coming via DHL.

    Hope this helps. If your salesperson doesn't have a clue on how bikes "magically" arrive at his dealership, perhaps it's time to change dealers.

    If you have a bike on order, your salesperson can easily check its progress, based on standard BMW codes, as follows (based on auto production, but most still apply):

    0 Order deleted by NA
    17 Order not Specified
    37 Order is at BMW NA
    87 Production Week Assigned
    97 Order sent to AG
    100 Order deleted by AG
    101 Error in data transmitted
    102 Special Order (no Prod Week)
    105 Order out of Prod. Period
    111 Order Accepted at AG
    112 Order scheduled for Production
    150 Production Started
    151 Body Shop Started
    152 Paint Shop Started
    153 Assembly Started
    155 Production Completed
    160 Released to Distribution
    168 AG Stock
    170 Waiting Workshop
    172 Planned for Workshop
    174 Workshop Entry
    176 Workshop Complete
    180 Waiting for Export Dispatch
    181 Waiting for Domestic Dispatch
    182 AG Load No. — Released to Carrier
    190 Dispatched ex(port?) BMW AG
    191 Returned to BMW AG
    193 Arrived at Port of Exit (where my car was stalled)
    194 Selected for Shipment
    195 Shipped from Port of Exit
    196 Shipment Arrival — ATA

  3. #3
    Debbie's Servant Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    9,068
    Quote Originally Posted by sal View Post
    I am trying to order a 2022 RT and I am finding out that I just can't order a bike?
    Evidently I have to wait until the dealer gets an allocation from Motorrad?
    I would have thought that the dealer could just place an order. After all it is a guaranteed sale.
    In August I called the Kansas City dealer (Engles) and asked the salesman to let me know when we could order 2022 R1250RSs.
    He had just got a email that day saying they had a allocation for one 2022 R1200RS.
    I told him we would take it and we needed a 2nd one.
    He had to check with the BMW rep to see if they could order a 2nd RS, so it sounded like there were only allocated so many.
    He called me the next week to tell me they could order two and had me tell him how we wanted them equipped.
    Lee
    2022 R1250RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2016 R1200RS, 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

  4. #4
    Registered User TracerBullet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    my own little slice of heaven
    Posts
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    In August I called the Kansas City dealer (Engles) and asked the salesman to let me know when we could order 2022 R1250RSs.
    He had just got a email that day saying they had a allocation for one 2022 R1200RS.
    I told him we would take it and we needed a 2nd one.
    He had to check with the BMW rep to see if they could order a 2nd RS, so it sounded like there were only allocated so many.
    He called me the next week to tell me they could order two and had me tell him how we wanted them equipped.
    That was going to be my next question.
    If the dealer got their allocation for that model year than I am out of luck?
    The pen is mightier than the sword….unless some one is trying to stab you with the sword….then it’s the sword…..definitely the sword

  5. #5
    Registered User Motodan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    2,765
    Quote Originally Posted by sal View Post
    That was going to be my next question.
    If the dealer got their allocation for that model year than I am out of luck?
    Lot of dealers out there...time to get on the phone.
    '17 R1200RT '93 R100RS
    MOA #46783

  6. #6
    slave to gravity skibum69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    New Melbourne, NL
    Posts
    4,034
    Remember every manufacturer is behind these days due to cover. Getting new machinery can be very difficult.
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon 7frrnSRiTt9Fk

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Lansing, Kansas
    Posts
    903
    Quote Originally Posted by Motodan View Post
    Lot of dealers out there...time to get on the phone.
    Actually, there are NOT a lot of BMW dealers out there. Thin network of dealers unless you are comparing them to ... say, Ducati or MotoGuzzi. Some of you live in areas of the US where there are more than one BMW dealership within a few hours drive of your home. You are considered lucky.

    But I would not trade where I live for where you live.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

  8. #8
    Registered User Motodan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    2,765
    Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    Actually, there are NOT a lot of BMW dealers out there. Thin network of dealers unless you are comparing them to ... say, Ducati or MotoGuzzi. Some of you live in areas of the US where there are more than one BMW dealership within a few hours drive of your home. You are considered lucky.

    But I would not trade where I live for where you live.

    If you want to buy a bike there are 150+ dealer phone numbers to call regarding possible purchase. All it takes is an airplane ticket to get there and ride it home. 150+ is a lot. Always good to like where you live.
    '17 R1200RT '93 R100RS
    MOA #46783

  9. #9
    Debbie's Servant Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    9,068
    Quote Originally Posted by sal View Post
    That was going to be my next question.
    If the dealer got their allocation for that model year than I am out of luck?
    When we bought our 2003 K1200RSs from Engles they did a dealer trade with two other dealers to get the bikes.
    I don't know if BMW dealers still do this. Car dealers still do dealer trades.
    Lee
    2022 R1250RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2016 R1200RS, 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Lansing, Kansas
    Posts
    903
    Quote Originally Posted by Motodan View Post
    If you want to buy a bike there are 150+ dealer phone numbers to call regarding possible purchase. All it takes is an airplane ticket to get there and ride it home. 150+ is a lot. Always good to like where you live.
    I understand what you are saying Dan, but that is not how I have ever purchased a bike--or car for that matter. I spend some time, months maybe?, in/around a dealership. Kicking tires, smelling rubber, drinking coffee, talking smack, getting to know the folks in the sales area, behind the parts counter and in the maintenance bays. Only after I feel comfortable with all that, do I ever mention that I am interesting in taking a few test rides. Then I ride everything they have available and finally sorta settle in on the model I was interested in in the first place. Always done it that way, probably always will, but only if there is a dealership within an easy ride/drive from my house. Fortunately for me, Engle in KC is one of the best reputed dealerships in the US and, for my money, they are as good as their reputation.

    Good luck to the OP in his search.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

  11. #11
    Registered User Motodan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    2,765
    Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    I understand what you are saying Dan, but that is not how I have ever purchased a bike--or car for that matter. I spend some time, months maybe?, in/around a dealership. Kicking tires, smelling rubber, drinking coffee, talking smack, getting to know the folks in the sales area, behind the parts counter and in the maintenance bays. Only after I feel comfortable with all that, do I ever mention that I am interesting in taking a few test rides. Then I ride everything they have available and finally sorta settle in on the model I was interested in in the first place. Always done it that way, probably always will, but only if there is a dealership within an easy ride/drive from my house. Fortunately for me, Engle in KC is one of the best reputed dealerships in the US and, for my money, they are as good as their reputation.

    Good luck to the OP in his search.

    You are right Royce, there are all kinds of buyers. I use to sell these bikes, also lots of tire kickers, story tellers, watchers or people who already knew more about a specific model than I did...and also the person, buying a new bike, who just wanted the bike because either he couldn't find it elsewhere, wasn't ever going to return to my or any other specific dealership for a multitude reasons, be it they didn't like our mechanics, our prices or our lack of some accessories or just me, but could see there way passed that to get what they wanted. I hope the OP get the model he wants and if he ends up making a Road Trip out of it all the better. It is nice they come with a three year warranty regardless of where they are purchased.
    '17 R1200RT '93 R100RS
    MOA #46783

  12. #12
    Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    17,323
    All the new vehicle buyers at this point in time are really brave. With the shortage of so many things, people I know are paying over list price for their new vehicle.
    I like a fair deal on purchases. I’m not thinking over list is fair…..at least not for me.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

  13. #13
    Debbie's Servant Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    9,068
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    All the new vehicle buyers at this point in time are really brave. With the shortage of so many things, people I know are paying over list price for their new vehicle.
    .
    OM
    On our bikes we got more for our trade ins than I expected. Probably because they wanted more bikes to sell.
    If we had GS bikes instead of RS bikes I probably could have done very well selling the bikes myself.
    Lee
    2022 R1250RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2016 R1200RS, 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

  14. #14
    Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    17,323
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    On our bikes we got more for our trade ins than I expected. Probably because they wanted more bikes to sell.
    If we had GS bikes instead of RS bikes I probably could have done very well selling the bikes myself.
    If you showed them pictures of your garage, much more
    Good luck with them.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

  15. #15
    #13338 PGlaves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    "Big Bend" TX
    Posts
    21,705
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    On our bikes we got more for our trade ins than I expected. Probably because they wanted more bikes to sell.
    If we had GS bikes instead of RS bikes I probably could have done very well selling the bikes myself.
    Engle Motors knows very well who their good, loyal customers are and they treat them accordingly. All within the realm of good business sense of course. When Voni and I did our "two-at-a-time" purchase of the G310GSs, Lee and Debbie's names came up in the conversation.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •