• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Valve cover gaskets...

motodan

thinking about checking valves on new acquisition, '93 R100RS, Not sure how long it's been since they were checked, but given its 28 years and no idea if/when gaskets were last replaced, should I have a set of new ones on standby or are these gaskets pretty durable and if no signs of leakage proceed with check reusing current gaskets?

I've found that the gaskets last a long time. Once the two backside nuts and the center acorn nut are removed, the valve cover should easily pull away. If the gasket stays on the head...good. If it wants to come with the valve cover...also good.

I've found that the gaskets last a long time. Once the two backside nuts and the center acorn nut are removed, the valve cover should easily pull away. If the gasket stays on the head...good. If it wants to come with the valve cover...also good.

Indeed, before Airheads I spent a lot of time with VWs also adjusting valves to 'loud'. I bought VC gaskets in bulk and had to replace them often.

So when I got an Airhead I immediately bought three sets of VC gaskets. It took me 10 years to use them up.

My latest /7 project was parked in 1988. I've done several valve checks on it since starting work on it this year and have yet to replace the gaskets. I want to, though, because the covers are on the wrong sides, but on one side the gasket stayed on the head and on the other it stayed on the cover.

New

Try to save or hang on to the old gaskets if they haven't been leaking. I can't confirm it but I think BMW changed the supplier of the new ones. They are a pain in they leak despite being properly installed and tightened. St.

New or old just make sure all surfaces are solvent clean when you reinstall them. A few years ago I installed new OEM gaskets and they leaked until I went thru a couple of heat cycles and that sealed them up.

Leaking valve cover gaskets are not uncommon. I used one to lay out the pattern on a sheet of cork, which I then carefully cut out with an Exacto knife. I think cork is a better material for such gaskets, and it is more economical as well.

Leaking valve cover gaskets are not uncommon. I used one to lay out the pattern on a sheet of cork, which I then carefully cut out with an Exacto knife. I think cork is a better material for such gaskets, and it is more economical as well.

That is exactly what I’ve done with my airheads! I use some non-hardening gasket sealer to adhere the gaskets to the valve cover. The ones on my ST have been in use for 15 years, no leaks.

Best,
DeVern

Cool :)
Old school.

That is exactly what I’ve done with my airheads! I use some non-hardening gasket sealer to adhere the gaskets to the valve cover. The ones on my ST have been in use for 15 years, no leaks.

Best,
DeVern
Anyone remember Indianhead gasket shellack? :eek

OM

OP here....covers off, valves checked and gaskets like new...no leaks. Wish I had a complete maintenance history however, so far everything is looking pretty fresh on this 29 year old + production date.

shure tác

I just squirt a little sure tac on the new gaskets. It keeps them from leaking long enough for the gasket to form and treat. St.

Back