• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Picking up my R1250GS this week and have some questions

mcgyver74

Hey everyone,
Just put a deposit on a 21 R1250GS and I have some questions before I pick her up.... Hope I'm not too annoying :)

but before I plunk down my hard earned cash I figured I should get some idea of what I am doing LOL

so here goes...

1) They are offering me a tire and wheel protection package (the bike comes with the alloy wheels) is this a good deal or a waste of money? I don't do a lot of offroad other then the occasional dirt/gravel road when on trips....
2) they say I should get the lifetime battery protection for like 400 bucks, new batteries are 150 or so so in my mind this is not worth it. Is there something I am missing?
3) Navigator. They are saying i should get the BMW Navigator VI, trouble is that I recently bought a Garmin Zumo XT so spending extra money is not great unless there is a compelling reason to do so. Am I missing something?

I'm sure I will have a TON of questions as time progresses :) but I am just glad to be here

thanks in advance!!!

A new battery for that bike is more like $50 retail with free shipping on eBay from several reputable sellers.

Any warranty purchases really do best if they are serviced by the vehicle’s manufacturer. Third party warranty’s sold by a dealer can be rather iffy.
OM

The warranty is all through BMW according to the paperwork. I figured the battery warranty was a waste but wanted to make sure this bike didn't have some oddball battery that would be very expensive.

Wheel package I wasn't sure about either, if the bike has normal wheels then it's prob never going to be an issue aside from a possible bad tire, and if I DO bend a rim I believe my main ins would cover it. So that may not be worth it either.

As for the navigator, I appreciate the input, I didn't really see anything it did that my current XT cannot do :)

Thanks everyone!!!

Does it have the GPS prep package installed? Wonder wheel? If so the XT will not fit in the bracket and only the VI works with the wonder wheel.

No.
No.
Consider the Nav VI, if you want full integration with your new bike. You should also be aware that there is now an updated 2021 version of the Nav VI, with a different screen, more RAM , and a number of other changes. If you're interested, I'd ask for a significant discount off MSRP, and I'd also want assurances that they're offering the 2021 version. The BMW p/n for the 2021 version (without cradle) is 77 52 8 504 069.

No to all three. The XT is a much better GPS even if you can't use the wonder wheel. You can get the extended BMW warranty before the original factory warranty runs out. My brother did that and the cost was reasonable. I have an aftermarket warranty as BMW didn't offer that in time for my bike due to higher mileage on it.
Two pro's to that are, peace of mind if you decide to keep the bike and better resale if you decide to sell the bike with 50K miles on it while it has the extended warranty on it... YMMV

1) They are offering me a tire and wheel protection package (the bike comes with the alloy wheels) is this a good deal or a waste of money? I don't do a lot of offroad other then the occasional dirt/gravel road when on trips....
2) they say I should get the lifetime battery protection for like 400 bucks, new batteries are 150 or so so in my mind this is not worth it. Is there something I am missing?
3) Navigator. They are saying i should get the BMW Navigator VI, trouble is that I recently bought a Garmin Zumo XT so spending extra money is not great unless there is a compelling reason to do so. Am I missing something?

1) unlikely you will bend your wheels.
2) better off banking that money, your battery should last about 5 years, my Odysseys last nearly 10
3) even though I hate it, stick with the Zumo XT. The only compelling reason I can think of for the BMW unit is its the integration of GPS with magic wheel (or whatever they call that dial on the left grip these days). There are some nice functions there.

4) hang out with the GS Giants! They're a fun group and there are lots of em! :thumb (most are MOA members, too...)

Ian

by%20Lance%20Gines%2010.jpg

By%20Randy%20Owens.jpg

By%20Randy%20Owns%204.jpg

by%20Rick%20Giroux%202-XL.jpg

Thanks everyone, I pick up the GS on Thursday so I am looking forward to it. If I can get the BMW GPS for reasonable money (not the 1k they are asking) I may consider it. The warranty I found out was 3rd party so that's a no go. I will see if I can add the BMW extended at a later date :)

Looking forward to many many miles :)

Back