Thread: 1200 GSA headlight protection?

1200 GSA headlight protection?

Hello all, Been a while since I posted so here goes. Planning on a trip next summer (hopefully) with a buddy to AK and possibly Tuk. Will of course be riding on quite a few gravel and dirt roads. Looking on adding some headlight protection. There are of course several options from lexan to fold down grills. Costs of course vary widely. Kind of leaning towards the Wunderlich or the AltRider. I am seeking any opinions of which way to go. Grill or Lexan?? So, please send those valuable opinions this way, and many thanks BMRRDR Oh, its a 2016 Adv

I use a clear shield, from Aeroflow I think, attached to the headlight lens with dual-lock dots. For me, the biggest difference between the grill units and the plastic units is in cleaning. The plastic units pop on/off quickly without tools, and as a result are easy to get out of the way when washing the bike. They can be also be easily cleaned at trailside when your riding buddy leading you through a muddy crossing decides itís time to roost you. I think the grill units are usually mounted with screws so require tools for cleaning. If thatís an incorrect assumption Iím sure someone will correct me.

Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST ó 1984 R80 G/S-PD ó 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C ó 2010 K1300GT ó 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

I have a grill on my GSA and it mounts on small metal balls that are on the bike and slip inside rubber holes on the grill. On and off is easy; no tools required. Annie has a clear shield on her GS that mounts in the same way. We are both happy with our set ups. Iíve used clear protection on other bikes and find one as good as the other. On my GSA I did need to use black paint on the back of the silver grill. I was getting some reflection from the head light when riding at night.
    Kevin Huddy
    Silver City, Montana
    MOA# 24,790 Ambassador

II have the AltRider with the polycarbonate lens and I'm very happy with it.

Ken
    Murphy's Second Law: The number of things that can go wrong can only increase with time.
    2015 R1200GS

I have a Chinesium grill style headlight guard on my GSA, it mounts with four balls into some rubber grommets in a steel frame permanently affixed to the bike.

I've done a fair bit of gravel, including the Dalton Highway with no damage to my expensive LED headlight.
    55,000 miles total

You can pay Altrider prices or get the same thing on E-bay/Amazon/AliExpress for much less, your call.

https://www.altrider.com/altrider-he...s-gsa/pid/1666

https://www.altrider.com/altrider-st...black/pid/1447

https://www.amazon.com/LQMY-Headligh...45108697&psc=1

https://www.wish.com/product/5fbbd5e..._BwE&share=web
    The only dumb question is the unasked question!

Team Pterodactyl - When we ride, we ride!

Altrider for me. Pops off so you can lay it down with a wet washcloth on it to soak off bugs. I prefer the clear to the metal grill, it covers the whole light, nothing gets to the light itself besides maybe some dirty water which wipes off easily.
    2020 R1250 GSA Low

AltRider here as well. Perfect way to protect it, whether its for all off road or road riding or a combination! And easy to clean/swap!
    Massimo on a '19 GSA ē MOA #222257

I got a clear polycarbonate shield with an aluminum frame from arashi on ebay.
    It's easy to remove with just one hand. Installation was straightforward.
    Pat

Ride Safe!
    '16 RT, '18 GSA

+ 1

The above is worth what you paid for it..........
    Lee 2017.5 R 1200 GSW

Is there a history of these lenses breaking a lot?

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Quote Originally Posted by ashevillert View Post
    No. Pretty much only when a rock is kicked up by another vehicle. But when it happens replacement is very expensive!
    '18 R1200GSA for solo rides
    '12 R1200GSA with Hannigan sidecar for rides with Glenlivet

http://travelswithbarley.com/

All you have to do is look at your light when clean and you will see the nicks and such.

I had my cover on since new but when the cover is clean it has some dings in it that surprised me a bit. And happy it was not my light.

That said, never herd of a light being broke but it does save the clarity of the headlight and as a "just in case" it is not too bad cost wise. Well no worse then anything else.
    The above is worth what you paid for it..........
    Lee 2017.5 R 1200 GSW

Quote Originally Posted by glenfiddich View Post
    No. Pretty much only when a rock is kicked up by another vehicle. But when it happens replacement is very expensive!
    Retail for a new light is $2077.64 Altrider clear guard is $169.97. My Altrider guard got kind of chipped over time, the headlight not at all. Seems worth it to me.
    2020 R1250 GSA Low

This is the right headlight on my FJR. It has a Cee Bailey headlight protector on it that has some very large cracks in it. I didn't realize I had been hit until I noticed this at a stop. The headlight was undamaged and Cee Bailey replace the set of lens protectors at no cost; Gee, I miss them. The headlight assembly is $700+
    Kevin Huddy
    Silver City, Montana
    MOA# 24,790 Ambassador

One time on a chip seal road Debbie must has got too close to the back of my bike and got a BB size hole in her K1200RS headlight lens.
    Our comprehensive insurance paid for the replacement.
    Our current bikes only have a protective film on the lens. This prevents the lens getting sand blasted and it block UV so it does not yellow or turn cloudy.
    Lee
    2022 R1250RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2016 R1200RS, 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT