• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1987 K75 vibration??

jagarra

Gerard
I am looking at purchasing a 87 K75 S model, when I mentioned this to a friend he mentioned the early model he rode had noticeable vibration on the foot pegs. Do any of you current owners know of any issues related to vibration and if so which model year sorted out the issue.

I am looking at purchasing a 87 K75 S model, when I mentioned this to a friend he mentioned the early model he rode had noticeable vibration on the foot pegs. Do any of you current owners know of any issues related to vibration and if so which model year sorted out the issue.

We have had an '86 K75T, '87 K75S, two '88 K75 Standard, and a '91 K75S, and still have a '94 K75 and '95 K75RTP.. In something over 500,000 miles on these bikes we never experienced any noticeable vibration in the foot pegs or anywhere else.

The early (1985) K100 bikes did have a vibration issue but BMW changed the footpeg mounts in later years.

I suggest a test ride of the bike you want to buy.

The K75 does not have vibration! In fact, when they first came out, people were put off by their electric motor smoothness. Some said they had no soul because there was no vibration. I can balance a nickel on edge on my ‘87 K75S from startup all the way through 3000 rpm before it rotates enough to fall over. That would not be possible on a K100. Your friend either was riding a K100, or a K75 that had the clutch improperly installed.

A K75 is a “Flying Brick” not a “Wedge K” so I will be moving this thread to the “Flying Brick” section of the forum.

:dance:dance:dance

Must say, my 93' K75s has one of the smoothest motors I've ridden. Rivals the Honda V4's I've owned in the past and makes my Wethead feel like a pad sander at lower revs. My opinion, which makes it worth almost nothing, lol.

87 K75 vibration question answered How about parts availability

Ok guys, made arrangements to go see the bike this morning, I was checking parts and it seems there is a lot of items available for after the 91 model year, so what is the solution for items needed for the earlier models. This bike may need a throttle cable, but I couldn't find it on the fiche. Do you rebuild your own water pumps?? I can do the repairs, but have parts become an issue??

Most needed parts can still be gotten through BMW. There are also some good aftermarket suppliers who are making parts for these bikes (euromotoelectrics.com is one).

The throttle cables are still available. They are in the steering section of the fiche. It is very important to know if the bike was built before or after 6/86 as the early ones had a different throttlebody which required a specific throttle cable. You might want to wait on the throttle cable to also decide whether you will be putting barbacks on the bike (definitely improves the riding position on these bikes for us older guys. Less weight on wrists and better on the back). You want a different throttle cable on an early S if you use barbacks. There are specific barbacks made for the K75S.

Water pumps can be rebuilt. Some people have better success than others.

PM sent.

New owner of K75

Hey guys,

Had to get this bike, it was in pretty good condition over all except for a few things I noticed on the ride home. 1st, the heated grip were on all the time, tried all 3 positions on the switch still hot. NO horn, easy if horn, pain if it is the switch, tried to get to owners manual under seat, but could not find the secret to unlatch that darling.

bike has a staintune exhaust, Ikon shocks and Race Tech emulators, so ride was a little stiff. Got side cases and trunk with a heated jacket and pants, PO had just changed fuel pump, filter and battery. Now I just have to clean her up.

thanks again,

gg

Gerard,

Middle position is off. Takes a while to cool down once they have heated up, so you may not have left it in the middle long enough to know they were off.:dunno

Not unusual for a 44 year old horn to be bad, but it could be a fuse or the relay.

The seat is a lockable hinged seat (unless someone put a low seat on it). Put key into lock under left side of seat, turn key to left, push in on button, lift left side of seat. Key turned to left unlocks seat so that the button operates the seat latch. Key in the middle locks seat and helmet lock. Key to the right unlocks the helmet lock. Push button with the helmet lock unlocked and the lock opens. Key can be removed in any position. I recommend keeping the key in the middle locked position so that only you have access to what is in your tool tray and trunk.

What are the last three digits of your VIN? It will tell when the bike was built and which parts are correct for it.
https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?21778-K75S-Original-Litter&highlight=Original+litter

Pictures?

J

Last edited:
Congratulations! Enjoy that ride! In no specific order……Max, Beemer Boneyard and Euromotoelectrics, the brown truck brought many boxes when I got mine going. A test light will be your friend on diagnosis.

last 6 digits are 150761. made on 3/87, I have the radiator guard and belly pan.

Attachments

• K75.jpg
    K75.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Lee,

It is made by Shoei, original was damaged when PO got it.

gg

Looks nice and it looks like it would have decent protection.

Just noticed the front wheel is like the 3 spoke we had on our K75S and the back is what we had on the 1987T.
I didn't see that at first because I was trying to figure out the fairing.

Starting to make repairs

The different wheels were on the bike when the PO got it. The heated grip was spinning when I got the bike, took it apart today because it shorted out, cut the grip off and discovered the cause was missing screws securing the element to the handlebars. Repairing wires to element, I had to make some extensions so I had some wire to make the connections back up. Here is what the element looks like.

Attachments

• heatingelementt.jpg
    heatingelementt.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 38
Back