• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

ADV tires on an R1200RT

Do you have an extra set of wheels on which the tires are mounted, or do you actually remove tires and swap each time? If you do the swap yourself how do you balance? Thanks.

I use my local shop to swap the tires out. They do a great job and it is worth a few bucks to me to have them installed and balanced correctly.

referencing post #18 -
One of the biggest ski areas in California is Mammoth Mountain, a little bit southeast of Yosemite.
Many years ago, they used to sell a tee-shirt:
Chains Required
Whips Optional

ContiTrail Attack 3 ??

I ride as often as I can. Here in New England at this time of year the leaves are beginning to fall and the roads can be slick in spots as a result. Also, I like going off the pavement and ride hard packed dirt and gravel roads for miles.
I wondered whether I might trade off a little of the smooth and quiet touring ability I have with my OEM tires. I'd give up some of their attributes for a significant gain in off road and leafy road traction by switching to a mild ADV tire. Anyone have any experience in doing that? It seems that at their hearts the GS and RT are very similar in terms of where the rubber meets the road. GS's get ADV tires and that really works for them on the tough stuff.
I'm not planning on turning my RT into a GS, I just want to upgrade my grip on smooth, non-paved or leafy surfaces. I'm willing to give up some street/sport performance to get it.

Same question except for the leaves... I am in the province of Québec, so we have plenty of gravel and hard surface unpaved roads but I do not intend to do serious off-road either.
I am seriously thinking about installing Continental Trail Attack 3s on my spare set of rims. They are road-oriented (90/10), come in proper sizes for an RT and the reviews are excellent. Price is OK too. Anyone tried them yet?

Back