• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

My new R18 Bagger

gfengstad

GTLMan
Picked up my new 2022 BMW R18 Bagger a couple of weeks ago. Just took it for the first service yesterday. On my first ride out, the warning indicator was telling me to get the bike to service. It went out automatically after a few hours and never came back. The service department checked and didn’t see any issues.

I have notes that the BMW Motorrad Connected App loses connection for Map mode after a short period. As part of the service yesterday, they did provide a software update as apparently one is already available. Also, there is one coming for all TFT equipped bikes in November that is intended to address a number of issues. As part of my visit yesterday, also had engine bars installed.

Rode home after service yesterday and didn’t have any issues. Really loving this bike. I’m coming from a 2011 1600GTL

Attachments

• IMG_0434.jpeg
    IMG_0434.jpeg
    150.3 KB · Views: 462
  • IMG_0371 (1).jpeg
    IMG_0371 (1).jpeg
    146.7 KB · Views: 465
Last edited:
Looks great- even upside down. Picture orientation problems usually are due to the interpretation of how the pictures were taken and the camera vs the forum.
Hope you have good luck with it.
OM

Picked up my new 2022 BMW R18 Bagger a couple of weeks ago. Just took it for the first service yesterday. On my first ride out, the warning indicator was telling me to get the bike to service. It went out automatically after a few hours and never came back. The service department checked and didn’t see any issues.

Maybe the bike date was wrong and it reset itself.

I have notes that the BMW Motorrad Connected App loses connection for Map mode after a short period. As part of the service yesterday, they did provide a software update as apparently one is already available. Also, there is one coming for all TFT equipped bikes in November that is intended to address a number of issues. As part of my visit yesterday, also had engine bars installed.

Rode home after service yesterday and didn’t have any issues. Really loving this bike. I’m coming from a 2011 1600GTL

Thanks for the heads up on the update. I'm still a few hundred miles from the break in service. They ride like a dream, don't they? It has taken me a bit to get used to the dry clutch. I have also had a bit of trouble with the app and connecting. They need a bit more polish on the trip planning aspect on the app.

Nice RIde. I'd like to pick your brain for a bit if you don't mind. I'm from the k1600 crowd as well and have been considering a bagger or TC, but all I hear is bad stuff about it. I get it, most will defend their particular bike and bash anything new, but from one k1600 rider to another, how is the feel? Have you taken any long-distance rides in it? Do you find you have any issues with excessive heat on your legs/feet? What about foot placement, any issues stretching out?
Thanks, and again.. nice looking bike.

Nice RIde. I'd like to pick your brain for a bit if you don't mind. I'm from the k1600 crowd as well and have been considering a bagger or TC, but all I hear is bad stuff about it. I get it, most will defend their particular bike and bash anything new, but from one k1600 rider to another, how is the feel? Have you taken any long-distance rides in it? Do you find you have any issues with excessive heat on your legs/feet? What about foot placement, any issues stretching out?

Me too; very happy with my K-GT. I use it part-time to haul our camper from event to event... I've put folding Ilium Works foot-pegs on the crash bars so I can extend my legs periodically on long trips & I love my taxi-beads. Have They come up with such a system for the 1800s? Pour Moi, that's crucial!
FWIW, I tested a K16B and was suitably impressed, but a BMW mechanic in Texas told me explicitly not to pull a trailer with that bike because it's been lowered by the engineers... So, I shopped for used 16s in the metro DC area, and found a good deal at one of four dealerships! :brow

We saw a whole truckload of R18s at Barber's Vintage Days in Oct, but I had no need or desire to go test ride one. What pushes your buttons with this particular bike? BTW, we, Team-HSV are both LDRs and we tour for pleasure everywhere. We did ~20K this summer on our various machines (olde & new). https://www.barbermuseum.org/monthly-events/
Happy Travels on your New Big Beast {which is even more Bigger than my bigly beast}!
. :lurk
Have fun with your new Bavarian acquisition - see U in Springfield, MO in June! :bliss
Ciao!

HSV-Phil & HSV-Karen

el Presidente & la Secretary, MOA CC-05
'14 K-GT --- '09 650GS-twin
'75 R90S --- '82 R100CS
'05 Vespa -- '16 R1200RS
:beer

What can I say? I bought the bike in September and have only put about 2000km on it. I’m looking forward to putting more mileage next year and also have longer trips. So far, I am impressed. It’s heavy initially but once you get moving, the weight disappears. Seating and foot placement is very comfortable. I’m 6’6” with a 34” inseam. I have not had any issue with comfort - yet. I also have not felt compelled to put my legs out. I actually had that more on my GTL. I have not had any issue with the heat coming from the cylinders but can say, it does get hot.

K1600GT to the TC

I also came from a K1600GT. I only had it a year and change but Im glad I made the switch. The GT was too tall and top heavy. Living in a wetter climate (PNW), I need to be able to put both feet flat on the ground when needed. With a 31"inseam, I could only put one flat or two tip toes. The TC is low enough that it feels lighter than the GT. The turning radius is a bit wider on the TC, especially when backing up. Its hard to see behind me when backing up due to the handle bar width and style. I haven't done anything more than a couple hours of riding in one shot but the engine heat wasn't a problem for me. I did have one instance of engine overheating but I think that was my fault for not being used to the bike just yet.

Congrats! I picked up my R18 TC FE in October as well. I came from a K1600 Grand America.

Glad you are liking this bike. I test drove one 2 weeks ago and will be trading my R 1200 RT on a new 2023 in early Dec. I have been doing the 1foot or 2 two dance on BMW since 1978. As I'm getting older I no longer feel comfortable doing that. I use to have a 30" seam and I guess I'm shrinking :) On the test ride, it took me a while to put both feet down, more out of habit and riding a big new bike, but once I did I was hooked. Bike is a blast to ride, I do not find the weight an issue once I got the bike off of the side stand the first time. Best stock seat I have sat on, and on the highway no issue with helmet buffiting. The TFT is visible in any light unlike my RT which is useless in bright sun. Gauges seemed spot on and the bike was smoother than I thought it would. My only trouble was with the Heel/toe shifter. I have never used one in 51 years of riding and I believe the adjustment was not good for me. It does look like they are adjustable. A friend of mine who is BMW/HD rider told me he alway removes the Heel shifter on his harleys so that may be an option. I will have to do some more info on that. The fancy cruise control worked as advertised and a must on any R18B I purchase. I guess this is enough rambling for now.

My only trouble was with the Heel/toe shifter. I have never used one in 51 years of riding and I believe the adjustment was not good for me. It does look like they are adjustable. A friend of mine who is BMW/HD rider told me he alway removes the Heel shifter on his harleys so that may be an option. I will have to do some more info on that. The fancy cruise control worked as advertised and a must on any R18B I purchase. I guess this is enough rambling for now.

Four BMW's ago, back when I was still on the Harleys, I absolutely loved the heel shifter. It's one of those things that you get used to and really miss it when it's not on another bike.

Don't cut it off or remove it now. Make the adjustment and you'll never look back.

I did an R18 test ride last week and going back to the heel shifter was just so nice for me.

No, I'm not in the market for the R18 but had to at least test drive one in order to be able to at least discuss it with other riders when need be.

I've got 100,000 miles on my last three RT's. May as well do it with this one before even THINKING about another new bike.

AD

Four BMW's ago, back when I was still on the Harleys, I absolutely loved the heel shifter. It's one of those things that you get used to and really miss it when it's not on another bike.

Don't cut it off or remove it now. Make the adjustment and you'll never look back.

I did an R18 test ride last week and going back to the heel shifter was just so nice for me.

No, I'm not in the market for the R18 but had to at least test drive one in order to be able to at least discuss it with other riders when need be.

I've got 100,000 miles on my last three RT's. May as well do it with this one before even THINKING about another new bike.

AD

Personal preference I guess. After 6K miles on a R18 TC I still didn’t like the heel shifter.
I sold the TC and now on a GTL, and glad to be rid of the heel shifter.

AD

I had one on a 1600 Nomad. It is nice when one gets used to it. HD took them off now I think. One has to order it as an accessory.

Back