• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Who dares to question the great and powerful OZ?

These ads are now nearly 30 years old... and a much more likely scenario... most have already come true.

I've never been a fan of Facebook or any other social media, for that matter. What it's doing to kids these days is horrible.

I too am not a fan of social media but it seems to be a fact of life. It is just not kids, it is most people. I watch people and they seem to be attached to their cell phones looking at social media posts every time their phone dings. it drives me nuts. One cannot carry a conversation without being interrupted by the ding on someones phone. It seems the ding is more important than the conversation.

What is worse is that many posts are anonymous, you really may not know where they come from. Plus posters can hide behind being anonymous.

So my assessment of this is that Facebook, et al screwed up the real world so now they want to create a fantasy world for everyone to escape to. Sounds like a fine plan. :huh

But we each get to choose whether to play or not.

It might not be that bad a place. In a VR world an airhead would have 160hp along with impeccable handling, brakes, electrical power and lighting, and never a failed seal or leaky neutral switch. Driveshafts and final drives for all BMWs would last forever, Bosch starters would work on cold mornings, and carbs would always be in balance. Traffic citations would be paid in virtual dollars, rain gear would never leak, and if the intrepid rider lost the front end while trying to stuff it under Marc Marquez there’d be no consequence beyond a momentary reset delay.

There are folks I’m sure would embrace the metaverse…
;)
:heh

DeVern

In a show of benevolence, The Great and Powerful OZ has decided to shut down the facial recognition part of Facebook.
Show of hands, how many users even were aware of its use…….and why?
They are looking around for the billion or so pictures to be deleted.
OM

It might not be that bad a place. In a VR world an airhead would have 160hp along with impeccable handling, brakes, electrical power and lighting, and never a failed seal or leaky neutral switch. Driveshafts and final drives for all BMWs would last forever, Bosch starters would work on cold mornings, and carbs would always be in balance. Traffic citations would be paid in virtual dollars, rain gear would never leak, and if the intrepid rider lost the front end while trying to stuff it under Marc Marquez there’d be no consequence beyond a momentary reset delay.

;)

DeVern

There are lots of folks who don't need the metaverse to have delusions.

;)

DeVern

That's gonna make for some pretty boring stories around the virtual campfire.

Ahh the irony. Virtual this and that are spoken of as if they ARE something. They aren't really. "Virtual" is the perfect word...it means: very close to being something without actually being it." We could replace the word "virtual" with the prefix "not" thereby calling out our folly. So I was in a NOT reality situation yesterday. I was in a not-conversation and I had a not comment..." a not-encounter, etc etc. What's even crazier we forsake actual reality for not reality.. and yes...I did say "we"; though I am weaning...

I left that whole mess about 5 years ago and don't miss it one bit.

I got tired of watching my "friends" bash each other over the head about dumb stuff. As far as I'm concerned, it's a barrier to Superman's credo: Truth, Justice and the American Way (democracy).

I pulled down my archive of stuff, having been on it for nearly a decade by then, and the only thought that came to mind was, "what a giant waste of time that all was."

IMHO, my friends don't need FB to talk to me. Getting rid of FB was like a swarm of hornets left my head or something. When I joined, there were like 300 people in the "San Francisco Area" group. That was it. Then Likes showed up. Then sharing showed up. Then the internet n00bs showed up and filled it with bs memes and crap and it was over for me.

You won't miss it. Marky baby is trying to build his own virtual nation. Don't get sucked in.

Leaving that dumpster fire 5 years ago was the best thing I did too. A colossal waste of time and no longer dealing with annoying people is priceless.
I was an admin on our local MTB page and had to cull political crap and personal attacks on an almost daily basis. Glad I got rid of that mess.:dance

Oddly enough my worst experience on FB was in the BMWMOA group when myself and a number of others were mocked by a fellow member over having concerns about the advisability of holding the 2020 rally in the midst of the worsening COVID pandemic. Of course that rally was ultimately postponed to 2021. I have no problem with opposing points of view but personal attacks are inexcusable.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Oddly enough my worst experience on FB was in the BMWMOA group when myself and a number of others were mocked by a fellow member over having concerns about the advisability of holding the 2020 rally in the midst of the worsening COVID pandemic. Of course that rally was ultimately postponed to 2021. I have no problem with opposing points of view but personal attacks are inexcusable.

The way I remember this is a member irresponsibly damaging our public-facing media experience by worry-warting about Covid at our rally in every possible thread where they could find the opportunity. Unfortunately the moderators there didn’t curtail this, because the actions really harshed our brand’s buzz. The harangue went on ad nauseum — for months — and even a generous offer of unlimited donuts didn’t seem to convince the person that they should take club business to the appropriate place for discussion.

:dunno

Any comments that I, and others, would have made remain there to this day to be seen and judged by all and I would suspect that a majority would not see concerns over health impacts as "worry-warting" or irresponsible and at the time the public would have seen that at least some members were indeed acting responsibly and the club's brand therefore enhanced.

By contrast the personal abuse made against members expressing such concerns, which was truly damaging to the club's brand, was erased by the offending party so as to hide their inexcusable behaviour.

Any comments that I, and others, would have made remain there to this day to be seen and judged by all and I would suspect that a majority would not see concerns over health impacts as "worry-warting" or irresponsible and at the time the public would have seen that at least some members were indeed acting responsibly and the club's brand therefore enhanced.

By contrast the personal abuse made against members expressing such concerns, which was truly damaging to the club's brand, was erased by the offending party so as to hide their inexcusable behaviour.

Huh? So lemme guess...you were the worry-warter and someone attacked you for that...Then THEY deleted their mean "tweets" and all that remains for posterity are your "concerns". Sounds like the interweb to me. I particularly like the wild west aspect...insults laced with fact and/or opinion. I'm more offended by attempts to regulate "fake" than by the free flow of bulls**t.

Facebook is a prime example of what can happen without meaningful government oversight, yet some believe there is already too much govt. oversight. :scratch

E.

Back